[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.brennancenter.org/publi cation/overseas-surveill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: you_had_a_choice.jpg (63 KB, 768x638) Image search: [Google]
you_had_a_choice.jpg
63 KB, 768x638
https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/overseas-surveillance-interconnected-world
>>
Welp.
>>
File: bnIq54u.png (950 KB, 1000x669) Image search: [Google]
bnIq54u.png
950 KB, 1000x669
Stallman's been warning about this for decades and you just didn't care
>>
>>53613978
>Gah-no

I don't get it
>>
File: rms_warn.jpg (2 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
rms_warn.jpg
2 MB, 3504x2336
>>53613978
It's a real shame that people just take him at face value and don't look into the cause that he stands behind.
>>
>>53614016
People feel that having choices imply having freedom. They feel that Stallman's lessons would mean having fewer choices and that would imply having less freedom.
>>
>>53613993
Either autistic or b8.
>>
File: IMG_5884.jpg (1 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5884.jpg
1 MB, 2272x1704
>>53613993
You must be GNU here
>>
>>53614079
I think the term "freedom" is thrown around too much. A better term is Libre, I think, since it cannot be confused with being gratis.
>>
>>53614127
>Ga-noo

What are you saying?
>>
How are people thinking this is anything new

Hasn't it been like 3-4 years since Snowden came out with this shit and various other people
>>
>Bulk collection of information:
The NSA engages in bulk collection overseas — for example, gathering all of the telephone calls going into or out of certain countries. These programs include the data of Americans who are visiting those countries or communicating with their inhabitants. While recent executive branch reforms place some limits on how the government may use data collected in bulk, these limits do not apply to data that is collected in bulk and held for a temporary (but unspecified) period of time in order to facilitate “targeted” surveillance.
>Treating subjects of discussion as “targets”:
When the NSA conducts surveillance under EO 12333 that it characterizes as “targeted,” it is not limited to obtaining communications to or from particular individuals or groups, or even communications that refer to specified individuals or groups (such as e-mails that mention “ISIS”). Rather, the selection terms used by the NSA may include broad subjects, such as “Yemen” or “nuclear proliferation.”
>Weak limits on the retention and sharing of information
Despite recent reforms, the NSA continues to exercise significant discretion over how long it may retain personal data gathered under EO 12333 and the circumstances under which it may share such information. While there is a default five-year limit on data retention, there is an extensive list of exceptions. Information sharing with law enforcement authorities threatens to undermine traditional procedural safeguards in criminal proceedings. Current policies disclosed by the government also lack specific procedures for mitigating the human rights risks of intelligence sharing with foreign governments, particularly regimes with a history of repressive and abusive conduct.
>>
>Systemic lack of meaningful oversight
Operations that are conducted solely under EO 12333 (i.e., those that are not subject to any statutory law) are not vetted or reviewed by any court. Members of the congressional intelligence committees have cited challenges in overseeing the NSA’s network of EO 12333 programs. While the Agency has argued that its privacy processes are robust, overreliance on internal safeguards fails to address the need for external and independent oversight. It also leaves Congress and the public without sufficient means to assess the risks and benefits of EO 12333 operations.

How is this less worse than some hacky spying done by KGB through hacky second hand rate spies

lmao jesus christ America what the fuck
>>
>>53613993
It's pronounced Gee En You, dipshit.
>>
>>53614646
The FSB is probably 2 times worse than the NSA.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.