[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 4460 outdated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 226x193) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 226x193
>ESL, bad English

Hey /g/, my pc is about 18 months old, here's the specs:
CPU: 4460
GPU: msi-gtx970
16gb 1600 ram
SSD & HDD
Stock cooling.
600 watts power unit.
Don't get me wrong, this value package runs smooth and I'm the proud owner of this computer. It only takes 8 seconds to starts, it handles most of the application perfectly, and even though this $1000 rig is already 18 months old, I still don't see a reason to replace it.
But however i do ran into some complaint, such as :
-Unable to run AAA games in ultra settings, although i believe it's more of the developers' fault for not polishing the game rather than the hardware's
-Significant FPS drop when utilizing both monitors, i.e. gaming on one and watching twitch on the second.
I understand it might be the 970 unable to catch up my numerous graphical demand, but as you can tell, it's kind of a waste throwing away a completely fine 970 to upgrade to something completely overprice just for little tip performance.
Another issue about upgrading is that my motherboard could only handle 1600 mhz ram or cpu with 1150 socket. If i were to upgrade my ram to 2133 I would also have to get a new motherboard, which means i might rather just build a new rig instead.

Therefore I'm think about just getting a better CPU, such as 4790k. I'm not sure would this decision would actually help my case, therefore I wonder if anyone on /g/ could show some advice or suggestions.

Thank you.
>>
>>53612448
my pc is 10 years old. i'm using a pentium 4 and still works pretty well.

just stfu
>>
>>53612481
He's not talking about space heaters
>>
>>53612448
4790K is a waste, you cannot overclock on that motherboard anyways. That's what the whole "K" bit is about.
If anything, an E3-123# v3 would fit best, it's essentially a 4770 but usually cheaper, not sure if the price will hold up in your country though. Don't buy a 122# (eg 1220) or any other v# (eg v2), but a 124# v3 or above would be fine.

As for GPU, the new series launches in only a few months, I would wait if you want to upgrade that.
The GTX 970 is also infamous for having large issues with its VRAM, with 1/8th of it being accessed at an extremely slow rate. That is likely the reason for the drops while using the second monitor, as that uses VRAM up alot.
>>
>>53612448
if you're playing in 1080p, you should be fine with the i5-4460. Usually, the bottleneck for gaming is the GPU (if you use a high tier CPU, like yours). I may not buy a new CPU, but instead a new GPU, like 980 or 980 Ti. I don't think that upgrading your CPU would give you that boost that you need.

Also upgrading your RAM is useless, that shouldn't be the bottleneck (but if you'd use an APU, then it would matter, but not here).

You should also try to research how Wangblows handles things with two monitors (1 for gaming, 1 for watching stream). Maybe your PC would be fine but something is missing (like setting games to run not in full screen but in full borderless windows).

If you'd feel safe from upgrading your CPU, then you should do it. Like this >>53613403 Anon said, the Xeon should be fine if you could buy one, but it's different, may be more expensive, and it's not for gaming primarily (e.g. server tasks, ECC memory, 24/7 hrs running, etc etc etc).

I hope I helped, try to research this on forums, ask people, try to google stuff.
>>
>>53614191
>not for gaming primarily
Code is code lad, it runs gaming shit as well as an i7.

It's not optimized for any specific server tasks, except the aforementioned ECC memory support.
>>
>>53612448
Is this /v/?

>970
>>
>>53614191
>and it's not for gaming primarily
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

>more expensive
it's usually cheaper if you know what you're buying

>it's different
literally an i7 without a GPU

Back to Steam Forums, goy.
>>
>>53614256
>It's not optimized for any specific server tasks
well it does have better VM support anon, and no GPU.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.