[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creating a 2D game with what ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
Sup' /g/,

a friend and i are planning on making a 2D game.
I wanted to use C/C++ and SDL or QT but my pal isn't really into it and prefers Java (however we didn't find any good / attractive software to help us doing what we want.

According to you, what is the best language in order to make a game and with which software ? I also thought about python...

just for you to check what we want:

> Isometric view (like in a pokemon game)
> Poor graphics, some sprite, a background and maby some animation on a few stuff...
> Choices and flags just like in a visual novel.

So no need for Unity and the one hundred tutorial to master it. (and please, no RPGmaker, i still want to programm something...).

I'm kinda a beginner, i'm learning programmation at school and i'm mostly used to using C and Java.
thanks in advance.
>>
>>53612115
>I wanted to use C/C++ and SDL but my pal isn't really into it and prefers Java
You are right. Kill your friend
>>
Pokemon games aren't isometric
>>
>>53612259

yeah just noticed... i feel kinda bad now...
so keep the "like in a pokemon game" part and get rid of the "isometric view"
>>
>>53612115
> Java or C/C++
C++ would be my choice, better math libs, IMO better integration with OpenGL / Vulkan. If you want to get finished something quickly go for C#.
> SDL
Don't use bloatware, use win api or linux equivalent.
>>
>>53612115
I suggest C++ with SFML, very simple and pleasant to work with.
>>
>>53612115
Go with sdl2 or simply java fx.
>>
File: Feels-Good-Man-Frog-02.png (133 KB, 354x363) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Good-Man-Frog-02.png
133 KB, 354x363
>>53612330

just glanced at it, seems pretty neat to work with, i think imma go for it, i'll try to convince my friend.

Thanks for your answers /g/
>>
If you're making this game to learn how to program, to learn somewhat about how graphic programming works, or to learn how to make a game engine, using C/C++ and SDL/SMFL is a good way to do that.

If you just want to make a video game, I honestly suggest just learning Unity or some other game engine.

I built a simple (but complete) game in C using SDL (which I later ported to iOS, thank goodness for C compatability). It was a good project for learning, but not a good project for making a video game. I've since moved on and made better stuff. It taught me the biggest secret in programming: it's all about the design. Design, design, design and THEN program or you will be in a world of hurt.
>>
>>53612115
>my pal isn't really into it and prefers Java
Dont work with them.
>>
>>53612566
i also read about game design and prototyping. I'm writing down almost everything so i want to learn AND make a good game. But thanks for the advice
>>
>>53612115

Java + LibGDX
>>
Monogame...

You can literally get up and running within a day even if you're a total noob. Perfect fit for what you explained.

Bonus points for being able to compile and ship to everything.

Mega bonus points for being able to develop in VisualStudio 2015.
>>
>>53612621
Sorry for the confusion. Since you're not using an engine, you've got ALOT more to think about than game design (as if game design isn't hard enough).

I mean design of the actual program. How it works, what threads it spawns and where, what parts of the program owns what allocated memory, what's the flow of it, etc, etc.
>>
>>53612621
Prepare to never finish it unless you're really motivated.
My first game ever was a project I did to learn stuff and I actually implemented everything, including physics and networking. I was a bit too ambitious though and now it's lying there unfinished, because there's so much to do.
>>
i prefer lua desu lol
love2d is a great choice imo
>>
>>53612687

oh yeah... this is totally going to be a pain of the arse... don't remind me... hopefully i got some engineer friends that could help me but yeah... it's going to be terrible...

>>53612681

yeah i've seen it but the problem is that, like RPGmaker, everything is already almost done, i probably wont learn much about programming even though the game itself should be okay...
>>
>>53612474
what about lua?
love2d
>>
>>53612664
Yes exactly. All the other retards in this thread have never made a game.
>>
>>53612786
I'm literally making one right now With python and C++
>>
>>53612759
Mein neger, nothing is done in monogame.

The only thing you have out of the box is an update method for your logics, and draw method for drawing objects.

Everything else, from game objects, to their logics etc. is up to you.

Ah, I'm on /g/... sometimes I forget that. You guys made tox in C... lol...
>>
Independant question here. Is AI just a decision engine based on what a character does?
>>
>>53612115
C# and Unity

It's a good compromise between those two suggestions.

Makes making a 2D game quite easy.
>>
>>53612899
usually that's the case. it's usually some combination of finite state machines and/or a decision table depending on how "complex" an AI you need

for most, a simple state machine works well
>>
>>53612899
AI is just logic.

Accept input. Determine course of action based on input.

Adding randomness and fuzzy logic makes AI more interesting.

Rather than
>player is far away. Do things.
You get
>player is sort of far away. 72% chance do this thing, 28% chance do other thing
>>
>>53612743
seconded
>>
>>53612786

There's literally no reason to use C++ + SDL + OGL unless you want performance. Complexity is a great trade-off for speed but if you're only writing a simple 2D game you're going to find yourself balls deep in vertex buffer objects and complex memory leaks when you could have the same thing running in Java in under a week.
>>
>>53612953
>>53612967

Thanks, ill add a bit more randomness
>>
>>53612899

Ai Can be (in order of complexity)

- Random action with simple bounds checking
- Predefined series of steps
- Mirror of character action based on lookup table
- Decision network (lots of nested switches)
- Decision tree such as minmax with pruning
- Bayesian network based on pre determined probabilistic factors
- Neural network left to determine its own weights
- Warehouse full of Chinese children paid $1 per day
- Warehouse full of Russian Eve players paid in ships.
>>
>>53612115
with your dick

2d sucks
>>
File: i9YB62L.jpg (34 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
i9YB62L.jpg
34 KB, 500x375
Use Java w/ LibGDX if you don't want to kill yourself during development
>>
Ich dachte ihr wolltet euch erstmal einlesen und danach erst über die verschiedenen Implementierungsmöglichkeiten nachdenken
>>
>>53613265
Wieso schreibst du auf Deutsch?
>>
Use Godot engine
>>
>>53613299
Weil ich mit sehr hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit weiß, wer OP ist.

Wird zudem nicht >>>/g/ größtenteils aus Deutschland besucht?
>>
>>53613265
>>53613299
>>53613512
remove kraut
>>
File: Bob_at_Easel.jpg (120 KB, 420x543) Image search: [Google]
Bob_at_Easel.jpg
120 KB, 420x543
>>53612225
Python 3.5 + Pyglet + Esper

Thank me later =-)
>>
Use Lua and LOVE2D. It's beautifully simple.
>>
>>53612259
Yes they are. Look up what isometric means.
>>
>>53613156
10/10
>>
>>53612115
>prefers Java

Your pal is a retard and you should dump him
>>
>>53612225
This is correct.

You probably shouldn't use Java for game development unless you have a very good reason to.
>>
ogre anyone?
>>
>>53612115
Anon, ALWAYS go with C++. It's the standard now and it always will be, you can come back in 50 years and C++ will still be the king of speed and power. It's hard to work with at first, but that's because it's based on the way the computer actually works, instead of slowly emulating an imaginary machine that's easier to use like in all "modern" languages. The longer you work with it, the more valuable skills you'll pick up. In the industry, programmers who have been using C++ for over 10 years are basically gods, because they have so much expertise and there are times when you just need to be using C++.
>>
>>53614074
>implying he needs high performance for a 2d game
>enjoy your segfaults
>>
Hey guys, not OP but I had a question in kind of the same realm. So I'm learning C, and was planning on making just a small text game (probably a couple days of programming will go into it for it to kind of be like a simple D&D thing) and after that I was going to move onto C++ because I've heard C and C++ have a good amount of jobs out there, I'm not sure what kind of project I would do for it, I'd assume just a modified version of the C project with polymorphism? And then learn Java and C#, and try making a small like, the kind of thing you'd see for a game demo, like one level of super mario kind of thing.
I was wondering how feasible that seems to people with more experience? I'm still learning C right now, but found a book I can get really into.
>>
>>53614224
What's the book?
>>
>>53614649
I found C Primer really cheap at my local goodwill a while back and am just cracking it open now that I've got more time, and I'm enjoying how the book is written and paced.
>>
>>53614744
C Primer Plus* Stephen Prata
>>
>>53612115
I thought I'd weigh in and try to provide some tailored advice to your situation.
Lots of people think that C++ is the best language ever because it is a standard, and "harder" to master.
Those things might be true, but I suspect since you're just starting to learn programming, you don't need the complexities of an unknown language when you've already got the challenge of making a game.
No matter how tempting and simple they first seem, making games are hard. They are real-time complex state machines. Going from rendering a triangle to an engine which can scale to game interactions "I click A on an NPC and receive a dialog box" is a huge feat. You probably won't know how to do this, with or without a language and libraries behind you.

Once you've gotten to the stage of being able to program well architected large-scale applications like a game, you should be competent enough to see the pros and cons in certain languages and libraries. If you don't know at least 2 languages well, you probably haven't got to this stage yet, it will come in time.

What this boils down to is: It doesn't matter what you use, just make it as easy for yourself as you can.
Performance doesn't matter, it's a 2D game.
Libraries don't matter, it's basic vector math and nearly every "reasonable" language has some sort of 2D library.
All that matters is what tool will help you create what you want and get you the knowledge you need to get to the next step.

I'd say Java is best for your purposes. Hundreds of tutorials, friendly API's, plenty of drop-in patterns.. and to be honest it's easy as hell.
C# is a drop in replacement here, it's just as good (used to be better with XNA...)
You can look at Python if you know the language already.

Honestly, languages are just tools, there's no "better" or "worse" unless you consider the context of your current problem. Your problem is not optimisation, it's learning.

Hope it helps. Most people on /g/ don't actually know shit.
>>
>>53614931
Ah, I've heard its good.
Naturally, keep looking online etc and at other books; generally use the books as reference for future projects.
>>
>>5361211>>53612115
write it in C and use Sdl2
>>
if you aren't even capable of picking the right tool for the job, how the fuck do you expect to use the tool properly and succeed in your task to begin with
>>
No need for unity? Maybe, but unity is free for small operations, is easy to learn and would be a great tool for the job. No need to reinvent the wheel here, anon.
>>
>>53612115
C + SDL2
>>
>>53615498
This. if u try to learn c++ ull not finish ur game anytime soon. Learn some unity n stuff along the way if ur into game dev
>>
OpenGL for Java (LWJGL)
Unity for C#

Whatever for C++. Theres a load to choose from.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 194x160) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 194x160
>>53612875
Yes because nobody in the right mind makes a game with python.
>>
>>53615826
he's a beginner you dickwad. truth is anyone could succeed with anything by picking (mostly and reasonably) any tool and just sticking with it.
>>
just use XNA
C# is basically improved Java
>>
You could compromise, and have some parts of the game in java and some in C++ via JNI.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.