[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do computers work, /g/? Everyone I know seems to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
How the fuck do computers work, /g/?

Everyone I know seems to think I'm 'into computers' because I can read from a screen, reboot computers and use Google.

I have no clue how computers do what they do. I gather the processor's a glorified calculator. How the fuck do 1s, 0s, and arithmetic turn into graphics, and all the other complicated shit programs do?
>>
>>53607349
Apparently you actually know nothing about computers fuck tard except how to bitch at 4chan for answers. Use the internet to actually learn something for yourself.
>>
You gain the most knowledge from reading and trying to build your own computer from logic gates. Learn about half adders, full adders, ALU's, registers etc. There are dozens of explanations on youtube.
>>
I'd say give up by now since you find it too hard to even use google.
>>
>>53607415
>4chan
>not the internet

I'm using the internet to consult people who actually know what I'm looking to find out, "fuck tard".
>>
If you want a good brief introduction, read Computer Systems: A Programmers Perspective.

No former programming experience required for the first chapter.
>>
>>53607451
>trying to build your own computer from logic gates

No thanks lol, just read an operating systems textbook instead for fucks sake, that's why we have these things
>>
>>53607349
Fuck the hardware part for now, it's very complicated and I guess you want to work with software and understand how to manipulate it:

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=MContent&pageid=1

start here, good place to understand how 0 and 1s manipulate and use hardware and how computers work in that sense.
>>
>>53607522
Even the greatest artists started with fundamentals. If you want to understand how the 1s and 0s turn into arithmetic and graphics, learn binary logic and logic gates.
>>
>>53607415
Implying /g isn't a resource for finding out information on computers
>>
>>53607623
You're most likely reposting something you've seen here in an attempt to sound smart. Sorry you've been trolled, but "building your own computer from logic gates" might teach you how a calculator works. In order to understand how modern day computers work you need to study operating systems, and you don't do that by building one yourself.

*tips fedora*
>>
>>53607741
OP specifically asked "How the fuck do 1s, 0s, and arithmetic turn into graphics, and all the other complicated shit programs do?" not "how does an operating system work"
read the thread next time
>>
>>53607791
>http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+an+operating+system+do
>>
>>53607349
> How the fuck do 1s, 0s, and arithmetic turn

Learn2 logic circuits.

Google it. There are youtube vids, too.
>>
>>53607791
>>53608010
In case further explanation is necessary,

>YOUR COMPUTERS OPERATING SYSTEM MANAGES ALL THE SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE ON THE COMPUTER.

"How the fuck do 1s, 0s, and arithmetic turn into graphics, and all the other complicated shit programs do?"

>You should try building one!
>Start by learning about OS's

Jah feel?
>>
>>53607522
Lol no u retard thats not what the op is asking. U need to understand the basics of comp architecture to understand how comp work in the fundamental lvl
>>
>>53607741

No.

There's a step by step course to learn how computers work. It takes you every step of the way.

http://www.nand2tetris.org/
>>
>>53607349
Trying to condense 4months of teachings into a 4chin post but

You have transistors that can switch the flows of electricity through a control signal. If there is power being delivered (1) then the gate closes, if there is no power (0) then the gate opens. Using a lot of these you can build logic operations of "and", " or", "not" etc. (Fun fact, any boolean expression can represented using only nand gates).

From this we can start building circuits that store data, we use something called an rs latch. It takes a clock input and either sets the output to a 1 or a 0. Combining these latches you can more permanently store data through a rs flip flop circuit. Cluster enough of these together and you can have a register. Now that we can store data, we have to work with it. This the CPUs job, it takes data from registers and performs an operation on it. It does this in sequence, there's a binary number called the program counter that is incremented automatically and this is the location the CPU will look for the next instruction to run. It will keep incrementing and running whatever it finds even if they're not actually instructions.

The CPU is just a giant collection of transistors and "instructions" turn off and on the right transistors. Any computation done by the CPU can be stored back into memory (which is a big collection of flip-flops). This is where we come in. We want the CPU to perform instructions we want, but don't want to write binary. We have a translation known as assembly. This assembly can be written by us, but we have to tell the CPU literally everything we want it to do.

A nice program called the operating system manages common tasks we want to do like writing text to a console or taking input. But from this assembly we can translate higher level commands down to assembly (like C) and start implementing more fancy things.

I have skipped a lot of details but that's kinda of the overview.
>>
>>53607349
>computer adventure
>goes under the sea
>>
File: wow.jpg (68 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
68 KB, 500x333
>>53608217
This might be the most informative post I have read on this board.
Also:
>>53607458
>>53607562
>>53608178
Thanks for these resources...just checked them out and they look quite good.
>>
File: B00004NHKU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (89 KB, 429x500) Image search: [Google]
B00004NHKU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
89 KB, 429x500
>>53607349
After /g/
>>
>>53609892
Well thanks anon, I know I wondered the same thing when I started thinking more about computers. Its worth pointing out that hardware and software are equivalent in the sense that anything that can be done in hardware can theoretically be done in software and vice versa.

Some topics worth looking into if you want a deeper understanding then I could provide over 4chan:
Boolean logic
Binary arithmetic
2's complement/floating point
Transistors
Simple digital circuits
Clocks and clocked circuits
Latches and flip flops
Making registers with flip flops
8-bit CPUs (all other CPUs are the same just with more pins for data)
Assembly (MIPS is pretty good for learning)

Should give you a good base to work from.
>>
>>53608169
You don't need to start at logic gates.
>>
>>53607349
Seriously this. Also how the fuck does sound get turned into digitized data and put on an audio file? What the fuck? Actually forget digital, how about analog? How the hell did they record it and store it so that it will play back again? No one can answer this, it's fucking sorcery.
>>
>>53610386
Or he could just follow a digital systems course in MIT OCW
>>
>>53610445
All sound is vibration, if you have a membrane that outputs how it vibrated into a digital you can recreate and make a sound.

>>53610463
Probably a better idea.
>>
>>53607349
I owned this game growing up, fucking fantastic. The underwater minigame where you find treasure is so fucking cash.

Arthur for life.
>>
>>53607349
Read this. You'll understand everything from binary to graphics, and you need zero knowledge to start. It's very readable.
>>
File: 8907876.jpg (53 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
8907876.jpg
53 KB, 720x405
>>53610386
Nice list... I'm familiar with maybe half of it.
Not OP here but I got interested in computer architecture about 4 months ago.
It can be a complicated rabbit hole to learn about.
>>53607349
As an absolute beginner I watched this video course from Harvard extension school:
http://computerscience1.tv/2011/spring/
It might be a decent starting point for someone at absolute zero (covers basics like binary, various types of memory/cache, internet structure, etc.). Kind of starts you with the very basic building blocks.
From there it may be easier to go deeper into this topic.
>>
>>53607415
This is why /g/ is shit
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.