[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the smart watch fad already dying? (thank god) Discuss.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: watch.jpg (43 KB, 957x618) Image search: [Google]
watch.jpg
43 KB, 957x618
Is the smart watch fad already dying?

(thank god)

Discuss.
>>
>>53606560
Smartwatches aren't a bad idea, but only if they get an actual physical input method and decent battery life.
>>
>>53606574
so, smartphones?
>>
They're moving to the next tech meme(VR)
>>
>>53606560
It never took off. The only ones that actually wanted it was the industry.
>>
>>53606590
you mean 4k
>>
>>53606585
>smartphones
>physical input method
>decent battery life
Thanks for the keks tho
>>
>>53606574
So, Pebble?
>>
>>53606624
That's a touchscreen device
>>
>>53606616
>>53606639
touchscreens are physical.

voice input is not physical.
>>
>>53606639
Em no it's not. They have 4 physical big buttons
>>
>>53606592
This.

Nobody wanted to read texts on a tiny screen, nobody wanted a watch you had to charge regularly, nobody needed updates on their wrist, ect. Not to mention most of them look like crap, are somewhat bulky, and aren't going to have anywhere near the life or quality of a decent regular watch.
>>
File: clocks.webm (3 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
clocks.webm
3 MB, 852x480
just look at this.
>>
>>53606645
>touchscreens are physical.
Not physical as in physical keyboard or physical buttons. 1 inch touchscreens are up there with the most retarded ideas ever.
>>53606654
How easy is it to control using just the buttons though?
>>
>>53606590
This. I just don't know what people see in VR. It's ridiculous to me at least. And the whole implementation is not that great really.
>>
File: cleanandpretty.jpg (151 KB, 638x696) Image search: [Google]
cleanandpretty.jpg
151 KB, 638x696
>>53606672
>I just don't know what people see in VR.
A gf.
>>
>>53606668

Glorious.
>>
>>53606669
I actually find the buttons really easy to use. It only has basic features but they work we and are quick and easy to use. Anything complicated I just take my phone out.
Display also works well under sunlight, unlike phones.
>>
Smart watches were dead on arrival.

>>53606668
Impressive craftsmanship, but the finished product is fucking hideous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1L15xehfEA

It's about the size of a fucking tuna can. Who would wear that?
>>
I like my smartwatch. The Moto 360 isn't perfect but it's very convenient. I recommend it to people who drive a lot as it's amazing to just be able to glance at a text at a red light. Voice controls in general are pretty handy.
>>
>>53606705
No one would wear it. It will probably never get taken out of the box.

Rich people are fucking retarded.
>>
File: 128812320696.png (62 KB, 198x207) Image search: [Google]
128812320696.png
62 KB, 198x207
>>53606705
>Smart watches were dead on arrival.

I live in a big city, and I'm starting to see them everywhere.
>>
File: nolongercomfypepe.jpg (52 KB, 816x812) Image search: [Google]
nolongercomfypepe.jpg
52 KB, 816x812
>>53606705
people talking shit about its size and how only a rich ass snob wanting to flash cash would wear this watch, do you really think anyone in the world is wearing this watch? no not one person, because this watch is a work of art and the continual pursuit of perfection in the handmade watch industry. you may see the hand engraved gold as tacky or the fact that it flips over to reveal a second set of complications as unnecessary. but thats not the point! in a world where robots are taking the craftsmanship out of our hands, its good to see people are still creating things of quality and meaning. think about it would you watch basketball if a robot stepped in to take the shot? or a robot stepped in to kick a field goal? no because the game would lose a big part of what makes it interesting and exciting! and take the skill from the player!! we moving ever faster into this world of us enabling robots to do everything for us. what will we do when we reach that point and weve lost all of these skills that have been passed down through the ages? what will we do for work? will we all work at hove writing code or will we have computers do that too? McDonalds wants to use robots to make our food and other restaurants will follow soon after and this will kill low income families and people needing quick work after unexpected job loss. so go ahead a talk shit about the people that create by hand and consider their work to be an art, and yes this is a 2 million dollar watch but Patek Philippe earned that prestige and with it comes great value. one day we will look back on stuff like this and realize where we went wrong if the world still has someone that can look back.
>>
>>53606672
How good/popular VR is will be a result of the quality of the software designed for it imo
>>
File: rps20160321_125216.jpg (42 KB, 597x597) Image search: [Google]
rps20160321_125216.jpg
42 KB, 597x597
I like my watch....
>>
>>53606656
Texts are totally readable and for most I can even reply acceptably without using my phone.

If I wanted to go full fedora I could respond to any text but I can't talk to my devices in public.
>>
>>53606560
smart watches are not bad, however current implementations are useless out side of a niche.

personally i want a watch that acts like a kitchen timer, a smart watch would likely take care of all my timing needs, but needing an iphone for the apple ones and needing it with me kills its use, and android, never looked into if they need a tether to do basic shit.
>>
>>53606672
this is how you know when someone never used vr.

i used it a good 15 years ago, the tech was shitty, the screens were 320x180 crts, but god dammit, was it amazing to have on my head.

it was my first exposure to non red and blue 3d (well, outside of disney epcot with i think polarized 3d lenses close to 25 years ago), along with my first exposure to motion controls, and smellovision.

smellovision is cool, but largely useless, motion controls can work, but you need an environment to allow you to use your body not a static tv, and not what the vive is doing where they are turning a cluttered area into something you can move in.

but vr.

its more then 3d, its another axis of movement input, 3d is nice and all, but just that axis would change how i play games, and if i could get a 120hrz monitor just doing 2d same image on each size, that would be fantastic, let along the games i could push 120 in 3d.

but how many of us have the perfect environment for watching a videos, or playing games? vr more or less takes that need for a room and condenses it into less than 1 square foot of area needs to be perfect.

vr will change how games are played, live events are viewed, and possibly how computers are used, but you have to have it on your head once to understand the potential impact... you have to have had good 3d just one time for you to see the value in it.
>>
>>53606840
its a work of art, less a watch.
>>
>>53609386
Looks like you like greasy burgers too, fatty
>>
Watches with day long battery lives and contain some of the functionality of the phone in your pocket.
The smartphone took off because it replaced many other devices and also introduced new features.
A smartwatch takes off features you already have, makes you pay for them, in a device that people with smartphones don't really use.
And if they do they value things like battery life or aesthetics.
>>
>>53610342
You don't need an iPhone to use the Apple Watch as a timer. Android Wear probably has even better non-tethered use cases.

>>53606560
>>53610611
I'm planning (hoping) to get a PSVR and a Vive this year.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.