[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do the Unices use a forward slash "/" to navigate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 105947.jpg (217 KB, 1680x1260) Image search: [Google]
105947.jpg
217 KB, 1680x1260
Why do the Unices use a forward slash "/" to navigate directory paths and Windows use the backward slash "\"?
>>
>>53605240
i googled your exact post and got what seem to be answers to your question.

what questions did you have after reading them?

don't be a fucking retarded shit. look up stuff on your own.
>>
>>53605240
Because windows was made by sandniggers and they write right to left.
>>
File: 1451585287208.jpg (35 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
1451585287208.jpg
35 KB, 368x368
>>53605240
Because Windows does everything backwards.
>>
>>53605257
/thread
now delete this
>>
>>53605257
>he goes all the way out to look it up in google, take and edit a screenshot, and upload it with his smug comment

>he doesn't post the fucking links

Way to circlejerk anon
>>
>>53605278
If there was some secret to getting those results, I would offer the links, but the point of the post was to illustrate that this is something you should have been able to look up yourself - that your wording of the question was sufficiently well-formed that google would return the "right" answer.

i didn't do this to give you the answer, but to encourage you to find answers on your own. the first step is convincing you to use google for once, emboldened by the proof (the screenshot) that you'll get the answer you want.

this isn't about the fish; it's about fishing.
>>
>>53605240
http://www.howtogeek.com/181774/why-windows-uses-backslashes-and-everything-else-uses-forward-slashes/

there you go OP, ignore circlejerking faggots
>>
>>53605299
not really, it's about making you feel superior and to make getting to the fucking answer in the most excruciating way possible

you only illustrated the fact that you're an asshole
>>
>>53605278
>take and edit
Not all of us need to copy paste our screenshots to paint to save them.
His screenshot doesn't look edited at all.

>>53605310
I usually don't filter or ignore people but I might just.
>>
>>53605323
Not that anon, but fuck you. We shouldn't spoonfeed retards who can't type questions into Google otherwise this board is going to be filled with more stupid questions then it already is.
>>
>>53605323
>it's about making you feel superior
you're the only person so far who seems to think that googling something and finding the answer is a point of superiority. I'm just sick of people inexcusably asking questions that they should be looking up themselves. these are obnoxiously stupid questions, and bad threads.

there was no circlejerking here; just a sharp reply to a shitty question. i could easily ask why you didn't copy and paste the content of the page from >>53605310, or summarize it, or at least take a screenshot, if the point was that it's justified to spoonfeed people.

you're getting way too riled up over such a trivial thing.
>>
>>53605349
YOU GOT MAD

MY JOB HERE IS DONE
>>
because \ is used for escaping characters in UNIX

see

\n
\\
\d
\r

etc.
>>
>>53605349
>Implying not educating people will result in them automatically becoming geniuses.

the only thing you are concerned about it your loss of your perceived dominance of others due to your knowledge in this area.
>>
>>53605377
>I was only pretending to be retarded
>>
File: sumpnclaus-3mb.gif (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
sumpnclaus-3mb.gif
3 MB, 800x450
>>53605330
>tfw OP is cancer
>tfw surrounded by 12yr old tripfag whiteknights
>tfw 12yr olds are cancer
>tfw all of /g is cancer
>tfw you forgot to sage your reply
>>
>>53605330
I didn't even read that far; no, I didn't edit the screenshot. in OS X you call a crosshair cursor thing if you hold command+shift and press 4. that allows you to select any rectangular space for screencapture, which it puts in a predefined place (by default the desktop, but i have it set to my dropbox public folder)

if you tap the spacebar then you get a selector that just captures any window you click on (like this).

this has been a brief aside in case someone was using OS X and only thought they could screencapture using command+shift 3 (which captures all windows on all monitors).
>>
>>53605257
This kills the discussion. Did it occur to you that OP already knows how to Google, and that he just wanted a discussion going here?
>>
>>53605399
we did it reddit ;^)
>>
>>53605395
>because \ is used for escaping characters in UNIX
>
>see
>
>\n
>\\
>\d
>\r
>
>etc.

REAL ANSWER RIGHT HERE
>>
>>53605397
You shouldn't be on /g/ if you need a lesson on how to google.

>>53605412
He shoulda picked a better topic to discuss than one that has a straightforward answer
>>
>>53605397
this is the first time in my life anyone on /g/ has claimed that being competent at googling was something to feel elitism over, and you're projecting that on others. it's not real, it doesn't exist, and you're being crazy if you think it does.
>>
>>53605406
>osx
>being a smug cunt who can't grasp the concept of discussion
Has to be a correlation here
>>
File: microwavetime.png (582 KB, 939x1163) Image search: [Google]
microwavetime.png
582 KB, 939x1163
>>53605240
OK ACTUAL ANSWER:

On the unices you use / for path and - for switches

On DOS you use / for switches and \ for path

there you go

we all win

it's nice to learn new stuff

I like trains
>>
>>53605412
that's why i asked "what questions did you have after reading them?"

i'm happy to discuss the merits of various design decisions in the development of operating systems, but the way the OP formulated the question, it was extremely unclear that he had the basic facts of the topic down (and you're the first person to suggest he did - even the tripfag assumed the same as the rest of us).

if he wanted to probe for a more nuanced discussion, signaling that he had read one or both of those pages would have helped a lot.

it's not fair to pose a question vaguely and then expect everyone else to know what level we need to come in on. if you asked "how does the internet work" some people will come in talking about TCP-IP, some about transpacific fiber optic cables, and some will talk about other random crazy shit (like how the law applies over the internet or something).

those are all reasonable discussions to have, but not all at once in the same thread. give us some sense of the framing and we can all meet you on the same page and have a good conversation about this stuff. otherwise, we have to assume you know the least possible information.
>>
>>53605448
Another anon here, there is nothing to discuss. Stop bumping this thread.
>>
>>53605448
see >>53605461; if you're going to extrapolate shit about someone based on the operating system they use (one of <10 reasonable choices), you might as well ask what everyone's horoscope sign is.
>>
because it's much easier to hit the forward slash key than backslash. That's my guess.
>>
>>53606183
No. One keystroke for each key.
>>
>>53606874
Yes but the forward slash is right beneath the semicolon where the pinky rests while the backslash is all the way over in bumfuck nowhere
>>
>>53606903
My right hand is always over the enter key. So \ or / is the same for me. I'm ready to type on any one of those two keys.
>>
>>53606925
If we're talking about how a normal human types on a standard QWERTY layout you cannot deny that the backslash is more out of reach.
>>
>>53606949
>normal human
Do you really know how normal humans type?
>>
File: which_fingers.gif (27 KB, 485x346) Image search: [Google]
which_fingers.gif
27 KB, 485x346
>>53606970
>>
File: 1439345235896.gif (1 MB, 213x210) Image search: [Google]
1439345235896.gif
1 MB, 213x210
>>53605349
>uses then when it should be than
>obviously Illiterate
>calling others stupid
>>
>>53606994
No. Few persons type like that. Most people type like me. They didn't type "correctly".
>>
>>53607018
Sure bud
>>
Just for reference:
Windows gave up on "\"-only long time ago and accepts both versions internally (library) and externally (explorer gui).
"/" is preferred anyway since everything is multiplat nowadays.
>>
>>53605266
/thread

Windows has always been the special snowflake OS.
>>
>>53607266
\thread
>>
>>53605406
Why are the colors there more saturated than my screen?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.