[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are the "must have" apps for osx?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: osx_el_capitan_welcome_hero.jpg (78 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
osx_el_capitan_welcome_hero.jpg
78 KB, 655x380
what are the "must have" apps for osx?
>>new to macfag community
>>
>>53604843
homebrew, then pick from this stuff.
>>
>XtraFinder/TotalFinder is a far better than Apple's shitty Finder and builds upon it to give you more options and make it not crap.
>Get yourself BetterTouchTools if you use a real Mac trackpad.
>Learn the terminal, you won't regret it.
>Using the terminal? Get Prezto or Oh-My-Zsh already.
>Get yourself Homebrew and Cask. Loads of interesting and useful tools there.
>For example ffmpeg that can easily convert audio and video to whatever you wish.
>Cask is an extension to Homebrew that installs applications like a normal package manager. It's the OS X equivalent of sudo apt-get install, Pacman -Syu and chocolatey.
>mpv is the hands down best video player on OS X. There are no substitutions.
>mpd + ncmpcpp is advanced, but the best music player on OS X that also supports real audio formats like FLAC, Opus and ogg vorbis (unlike iTunes).
>Transmission is subjectively the best torrent application.
>>
>>53604843
linux
>>
>>53605546
naaah doing that /w vagrant already
>>
>>53604843
homebrew
spectacleapp
iterm
zsh
cask
launchrocket to start services if you're a developer

that's pretty much it.... everything is already there and working that's why every deent developer uses it
>>
>>53605694
why would you need linux via vagrant if you're on a unix based system? I'm a senior dev working on lots of different languages and never had the needing of using vagrant.. maybe docker but just for the lulz
>>
>>53605735
like u said just for the lulz
>>
File: 1453904035340.png (516 KB, 501x1200) Image search: [Google]
1453904035340.png
516 KB, 501x1200
>>53605790
>>
>>53604843
Windows 7
>>
>>53605839
windows 7 - kekd out loud
>>like the internets
>>
>>53605856
Speak English please
>>
>>53605875
Shania Twain
>>
https://github.com/iCHAIT/awesome-osx
>>
>>53604876
Underrated post. Homebrew makes OSX comfy as tits
>>
Amethyst – pseudo tiling window manager
Amphetamine – keeps laptop awake
AppCleaner – removes things left over after you "delete" an app
coconutBattery – shows health of laptop battery/attached iOS device battery
Cyberduck – libre FTP/SFTP/Amazon/etc client
DaisyDisk – useful for cleaning out a drive
Deluge – not specifically for OS X, good torrent client nonetheless
iTerm – essential replacement for Terminal.app
mpv – essential video player
Quinn – Tetris clone
Sublime Text – text editor
VOX – essential audio player
>>
>>53604876
>>53606723
What do you use Homebrew for?
I can't think of what I'd use and it's hard to find info about mods/apps online.
>>
File: Essential OS X Apps.png (244 KB, 682x975) Image search: [Google]
Essential OS X Apps.png
244 KB, 682x975
For those interested a Mac OS X group was just created on Telegram.
https://telegram.me/joinchat/AM5j_T6EJIakh6XLLWDKUQ

As for recommended software, see [pic] and visit https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_OS_X_software.
>>
>>53607385
I used it to install Python 3 and ffmpeg. Mostly it's useful if you do programming, in which case you'll probably already know what you need from it. Otherwise there are also command-line tools you might want to use, for example ffmpeg to convert video to webm or youtube-dl to download youtube videos.
>>
>>53604886
>Transmission is subjectively the best torrent application
>had trojan
>each time I want to restart, annoys me with popup message
>can't play video which is not yet downloaded (unlike on windows torrents)

yeah its shit, but there is nothing better for mac
>>
>>53611804
They tried to fix it as quickly as possible. It's not amazing but it really seems like it fits in OSX.

Also when I got into OSX, I thought of trying OpenEmu. It's shit. Not worth the performance loss.
>>
Cog is pretty good

Plays the music that for some stupid fucking reason doesn't work on iTunes, extra formats as well, it has a simplistic interface and there's a folder view.
>>
Fantastic software includes:
Affinity Photo (Photoshop clone)
Affinity Designer (Illustrator clone)
Textual (IRC client)
Sketch (awesome graphic design)
Transmit (best FTP client ever)
iTerm (terminal)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.