[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does using a supercomputer feel like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Lain.png (351 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
Lain.png
351 KB, 639x480
What does using a supercomputer feel like?
>>
Pretty cold if you touch it desu, probably hot on the inside
>>
>>53603398
Like using a server
But cooler
>>
Auto-solving captchas
>>
>>53603398

Protip: current smartphones has early 90's super-computer power.

In 10 years your toilet poo-analyzer will be smarter than you.
>>
Pretty boring since all I was able to use it for was research
>>
>>53603457
Senpai u have a poo analyser?

Also
What he said
The Galaxy S6 has a bloody octocore cpu
And like
Threethousandandseventytwo megabytes of RAM

And a screen that's brighter
More color accurate
Than any old computer from the 70's, 80's and 90's
>>
>>53603536
Great. So we have no impression of what using a modern supercomputer is like. Thanks anons
>>
>>53603497
other than research, what other advantages it has over i7? i mean for a producer? will it render 2 hour scenes in 0.0001 seconds?
how much does it cost?
is it even legal?
is it possible to add multiple i7 cpu and multiple gpus to work together to make somewhat a supercomputer?
am i asking too much questions?
do dinosaurs get hurt if you step on their feet?
>>
>>53603457
>In 10 years your toilet poo-analyzer will be smarter than you.
but who will they hire to do tech support for it?
>>
>>53603398
It feels super.
>>
playing minecraft without lags
>>
>>53603398
You send your program to run, you get your data back. The computing power is impressive, but it get boring really fast. Supercomputers are tools, not toys.
>>
Had access to a recently upgraded one, about 2000 cores and 4TB RAM. It isn't as fun as it might seem at first. You mess around with computing huge numbers for fun and looking at process managers trying to display the number of cores, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>53603398
you feel like LE EPIX HAXX0RREDDIT
>>
>>53603632
It will feel how it will feel like to look at your phone on the toilet in ten years.
>>
Super computers are shit. No GUI. I fixed it by formatting the disk and installing Windows 10.
>>
>>53603398
Bags of sand.
>>
>>53605484
This might be stupid but I always dream of using a server grade computer, with a graphics card and a consumer grade os like Windows 10
>>
>>53603896
You
>>
I don't exactly know what it feels like, but here's a pretty interesting video about supercomputers:
https://youtu.be/xBtlJBUbjV0
>>
>>53603398
Like using a computer.

>>53603457
>>53603536
I doubt smartphones and their quantity-over-quality architectures could even outrun a midrange Pentium 4 for any "real work" let alone a cost-no-object work of art like a Y-MP.

Synthetic benchmarks based on peaks and ideals are a shitty metric for gauging performance in the real world of sustained rates and less-than-ideal jobs and programmers.
>>
>>53603398
Its like sex. Once you had it, its not impressive anymore
>>
>>53605960

>Early 90s
>Pentium 4

Uwutm8

Referring purely to GFLOPS, a current flagship smartphone is a beast. If you can keep it cold of course.
>>
>>53603896

Post-Trump american labour.
>>
>>53606001
>>Early 90s
>>Pentium 4
>Uwutm8
I never said the Pentium 4 was from the early '90s, but it sure as hell isn't a supercomputer component.

>GFLOPS
This is a shit metric for anything but comparing within the same architecture, and even then; not all operations are the same, especially between different chips. Even if it wasn't the case, your "beast" processor doesn't matter for shit when your phone's shitty sustained memory bandwidth means it can't push data for it to process in a reasonable time frame, or its sluggish, shitty operating system is holding it back.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.