[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wincuck experience with Linux Distros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: windows-7-logo.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
windows-7-logo.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
So, Win 7 fag here, I spent the better part of last week installing and trying out most major distros, here's my experience with them:

The Bad:
Debian - Their website was confusing, and even when I found the proper iso, they made sure to make the installation as obnoxious and difficult as possible. Into the trash it went.
OpenSUSE - didn't even install. Got stuck at the loading screen for 5 minutes, got bored, restarted the PC and never returned.
Fedora, KDE - It did install, but the installer was really buggy and confusing too. Didn't like this distro one bit.
Ubuntu - Everything went smoothly, but the desktop environment was vomit inducing. Like who even came up with it? Since I have no idea how to install other DE's, I moved on.
Kubuntu - Easy install, nice website, but the DE was constantly crashing, so I found this distro unreliable too. Interestingly this distro is the only one along with Linux Mint that provided me with codecs, which I think is rather weird.

The Good:
Manjaro - Easy install, good website, didn't find any major issues here.
Linux Mint KDE - Easy install, okay website, it has good tools, a very pleasant atmosphere, codecs, this is probably the best distro from what I had seen so far. I'm definitely going to continue dual booting with this one.
>>
And then you realized installing Linux is half the battle. Cucking your self is the struggle you deal with on a daily basis with Linux. I bet you went back to Windows or maybe even upgraded to Windows 10 after all that nonesense.
>>
File: 125231262176.jpg (68 KB, 535x535) Image search: [Google]
125231262176.jpg
68 KB, 535x535
Here's my experiences:

The bad:
All of them, terminal is for kids that want to waste time, basic compatibility requires you downloading it, further wasting time, just a mess and a WASTE

The good:
Uninstalling any distro and installing real software for people that have work to do is a great feeling. Using distros that are worse than Windows CE in terms of both functionality and features is appalling.
>>
>a windows user tries to use linux like another version of windows
you must be one of those powerusers I hear so much about
>>
>>53601429
This is why I'm a trump supporter.

No one in the right mind would support free shit because it's bad for the economy. I bet most Linux users are Bernie Sanders supporters.
>>
File: 1457854696436.png (82 KB, 1366x732) Image search: [Google]
1457854696436.png
82 KB, 1366x732
>>53601429
>winfags scared to death by a black box with scary text in it
Mein sides

>>53601473
There is nothing wrong with free open source software. If some proprietary software company goes under because of open source software then it's obvious it deserved that because it couldn't even compete with "incompetent software made by NEETs"
>>
File: GodEmperor1.jpg (75 KB, 399x482) Image search: [Google]
GodEmperor1.jpg
75 KB, 399x482
>>53601496
>Scared of wasting time.

I've got WORK TO DO kiddo
>>
>>53601473

Linuxfags are atheists. They won't shut the fuck up about their hobbyist os. Any time there's a thread about a windows issue some linux fag always has to derail it with hurr durr windows is a gaming platform
>>
>>53601426
I am trying to stick with linux, only going back to windows for my videogaymes. It's going well so far.
>Windows 10
yeah no, I disabled win 7 updates back in 2013 and never turned them back on. For now i'm safe from that menace.
>>
>>53601596
linux mint is the easiest to get into if you're coming straight from windows

runs FFXIV pretty damn good
>>
>>53601526
You can work on Linux based distributions too, but noo you just don't have the time do you Mr fortune 500 CEO?
You could work on Linux based distribution AND save money, but your "oh shit I'm so busy I don't have time to even wipe my ass" syndrome keeps you back
I could bet what you're referring to "work" here is typing out documents in msword and spreadsheets in msexcel. Or maybe checking and responding to emails in msoutlook

>>53601535
>hobbyist OS
Funny since most devices on planet earth and space even run Linux.
Linux based distributions dominate a majority of servers. Android dominates mobile phones.
>>
>>53601626
Who cares about the back end, I want to GAME.
>>
>>53601426
Oh shit, it's turbo-pajeet
>>
>>53601651
>moving goalposts
Winfags are truly the cancer of /g/
>>
File: 5100965110_6f9af9569e_b.jpg (599 KB, 800x1024) Image search: [Google]
5100965110_6f9af9569e_b.jpg
599 KB, 800x1024
>>53601405
>Ubuntu - desktop environment was vomit inducing.

That's why sane people go with the obangoo gnome spin.
>>
>>53601405
I've seen a few people say this now but the Debian website is completely fine if you can read and understand English
>>
>>53601913
Ignore them, these are the same people who need a website with blinking ads everywhere and ask that hipster.js induced UI to keep their attention at something
>>
using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a laptop its not that bad ounce you get everything setup. also i don't dual-boot cause im faggot i guess
>>
>>53601405
>liking fucking manjaro and mint with KDE

jesus christ do you have a lot to learn
>>
>>53601405
>no idea how to install other DE's
sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-desktop
>>
>>53601405
>linux mint
neck yourself
>>
>>53601663
/g/ is the cancer of /g/, but Linux fags don't help. "Respects your freedoms" is a meme. How about you respect my freedom to run whatever the fuck I want? I'll do the same.

Yes, I use Windows, mostly because powershell / AD / Exchange.

But all these threads of "Linux sucks, it takes hours to install, and doesn't do X" are fucking retarded.

A Gentoo stage 1 emerge takes hours. LFS maybe even days (depending on hardware). But Mint / Ubuntu / Debian / Fedora? What, are you using a netinstall disc and a 56K modem? If you can't figure out one of the simplest things in the computing world, maybe you should either learn more, or find another hobby.
>>
>>53601405
How was the debian install hard? I've decided to try it after using mint for 3 weeks. Sure the website is worse compared to some others but the installation isn't hard at all.
>>
Because you didn't read the system requirements.
Autism level 5 is required
>>
>>53602274
All /g/ really needs is a "linux for retards" showing faggots migrating from windows how to and where to install, tweak and config resolutions, refresh rates, etc.
>>
>>53601429
>work to do
>Windows

games aren't work, anon
>>
>>53602627
but then you would have a bunch of retards running around using linux
Do you really want that? I know I don't.
>>
>>53602726
we already have faggots running around using linux
they use ubuntu
so what's a few retards more running gentoo
>>
File: 1442620605894.png (169 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
1442620605894.png
169 KB, 358x358
>>53602627
i want to switch but muh games
>>
>>53602662
>Windows is only for le games
How's your NEET life anon? :^)
>>
When I was a lot younger, I had experimented with some distros (Arch, Ubuntu, Debian, PuppyLinux), largely for my EeePC.
I still mainly use Windows 7 for most of my stuff, but as I grow older, I don't see much need for Windows anymore. Plus, the constant shit with Windows 10 is a real scare.
I don't play many games, and ones I do are already supported in Wine. Chinese cartoon, coding, etc, its all doable in Linux as well. I guess I'll go back to xubuntu soon.
>>
>>53601405
>two distros with the same DE do something similar
>weird

go with Manjaro op it's pretty much the only option
>>
>>53602874
also steam is available on linux now and there are some good games out there

so even if you want to play games you have lots of options
>>
>>53602897
yeah but the games i particularly play such as witcher 3, aren't out for linux yet.
>>
>>53601535
I am orthodox Christian Linux users.

I have hundreds of theology books in my library, I go to church and do most of the things an practicing, believing orthodox Christian would do.
>>
>>53601405
Ubuntu being different than kubuntu:

What's the difference other than kubuntu having different desktop environment and some different software that came up with kde?
>>
gentoo - after 3 days kde finally compiled and i've been happy with it ever since
>>
>>53601405
It's hard to figure this shit out, I'll give you that. Anyone thinking a normie would have no issue with Linux should shoot himself already.

If you really want to enjoy Linux right now, you have no other choice than to use the terminal at some point. Doesn't mean you'll do that everyday though.

First you need to understand a distribution is essentially the Linux kernel, a bunch of modifications on that kernel, startup scripts, and the really interetsing part, a base selection of software, among which a package manager and a window manager. It's pretty much comparable to the kind of Windows that comes with Acer, Asus, HP, or Dell computers, so yes, it means a lot of bloat you surely don't need.
Then you learn to remove that bloat, and replace it with the software you want, because it really is the most important thing you care about: the features it offers.

My recommendation would be to use Ubuntu because it has the best support overall, then remove all the bullshit you don't want on it, and reinstall everything properly from scratch. Takes time to learn how to do it, takes time to do it, but once it's done, you've got something that should run so smooth you'll never have to open a terminal again.

Setting up is a bitch, changing anything is as well, but then you can genuinely enjoy a stable, reliable, efficient system. It's a lot of work for something only slightly better than Windows, and to be honest, I'm not really sure it's worth it in the end. It's handy for many IT people because it has all those tools they need for their job, but most people really need just a browser, music/video/picture playback, and any kind of note taking/document creation software. But that's something the retards making "user friendly" distros don't get.
>>
>>53603111
>remove all the bullshit you don't want on it, and reinstall everything properly from scratch
If one is that adventurous, might as well start with Ubuntu minimal.
>>
>>53602627
The current iteration of /g/ needs to die in a fire.

But I'll get off my rage pills now.

Uhhh... I'm fairly certain there are control panels for this in most DE's.

Otherwise, $ man xorg.conf should answer questions.

>>53602662
Windows runs enterprise (for now, anyway). Sorry anon. That's just the way it is.

There is no Linux equivalent for AD nor do any of the Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, equivalents have the level of tie in and feature set that their Windows companions do.

But again, we're getting there, maybe. SQL for Linux, PowerShell for Linux. It's a start.
>>
>>53602436
The only hard thing about it is how fucking slow it is.

It takes me less time to follow a tutorial and install Arch than it does to install Debian.

They really need a official liveCD so you can browse the internet while installing or something.

That said, it's quite amazing how you can find it hard to install Linux, I find them way easier than most windows installers, and I grew up with those.
>>
>Windows runs enterprise (for now, anyway). Sorry anon. That's just the way it is.
>There is no Linux equivalent for AD nor do any of the Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, equivalents have the level of tie in and feature set that their Windows companions do.
>But again, we're getting there, maybe. SQL for Linux, PowerShell for Linux. It's a start.
>>53603134

Fair enough, but I think you are in the minority here. Not everyone uses Microsoft's tech Stack either.
>>
>>53603135
I don't find installing debian hard. It has an installer for ffs.
>>
>>53603162
Oh, I didn't mean to imply it's hard, just that it's slow as all mother of fuck. It frequently takes me 2 hours to install it, meanwhile something like Fedora takes like less than 15 minutes.

Maybe it's some wonky shit with the servers, but using different locations haven't done much to fix it.
>>
>>53601913
>>53601922
Yes, Debian's website is functional and no blinking ads, but that does not mean it's good either. It could be way better, without bling bling.
>>
>>53602976
Do you use Temple OS?
>>
>Go to debian.org
>First thing I see is "Download Debian"
>>
>>53603347
Then you realize you don't want the net installer, then you realize you might want testing, then you realize you might want a torrent of the testing installer.

Good luck.
>>
If you're a wincuck 7 faggot, ubuntu mate is what you want. it's the sanest distro based on ubuntu.
>>
>>53601462
>using something anon could not even install
You what fggt
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.