[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did you give up on me, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2
File: Opera.png (67 KB, 512x532) Image search: [Google]
Opera.png
67 KB, 512x532
Why did you give up on me, /g/?
>>
It's a short list, really.

1. Netflix works better on Chrome/Chromium in Linux so fuck you
2. Google accounts works better than Firefox sync so fuck you
>>
>>53595869
I haven't. But you really need to step up your game when it comes to multi-thread support and having each tab as a separate process like the other browsers do.
>>
>>53595869
gold ceilings
>>
>>53595869
chrome was better at the time, i came back though.
>>
The only reason I won't leave my precious is no other browser has figured out how to scroll the page without jittering.

Smooth scroll is not a default of firefox, but it's the most necessary for forums.
>>
File: Iceweasel_icon.svg.png (458 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Iceweasel_icon.svg.png
458 KB, 1024x1024
I didn't.
>>
I use Icecat
>>
>>53595869

They spent all the donation money on social justice programs and cocaine parties
>>
It keeps turning fucking black. Been happening since I installed an AMD card though, so it's probably not the browsers fault entirely. However, it doesn't happen in Chrome.
>>
>>53595912
>using netflix
>>
I never did.

Well, not yet. I think that day is close though.
>>
I still use firefox.
>>
>>53596951
I get a lot of graphical issues in firefox like it turning black or on here it will just show the blue and no posts occasionaly

I have amd card also but I have no idea if its the card also or just firefox
>>
>>53595869
The signed addon bullshit means I won't ever come back
>>
>>53596956
>netflix is bad
>using chrome, much less actually being logged into it at all times, is a-ok
Good goy
>>
Unsigned extension blocking and sjw bullshit was what killed it for me. Currently using Chromium and it's comfy.
>>
>>53595869
I'm getting close to uninstalling firefox
0. difficult ui
1. Eich
2. defaulting to yahoo (bing) search
3. adding features nobody asked for (hullo, pocket, telemetry, social)
4. ugly
5. reinventing the wheel (media player, download manager, pdf viewer). Why not just integrate with wget/gstreamer/native shit instead of reimplementing the desktop in a browser
>>
>>53597019
>reinventing the wheel (media player, download manager, pdf viewer)
Breh they almost removed fucking FTP support because of this kind of attitude already. Those are all reasonable things to have in a modern web browser.
>>
>>53595869
>lag when scrolling
>youtube videos randomly stop loading
>websites not working
>SJW bullshit
>gold ceilings
>>
because of gtk3
>>
firefox chokes on any moderate resolution webm, but when I open it in a gstreamer based player (parole), it plays back completely smooth on a sliver of cpu load
>>
>>53595869
I had to install the 32bit version just so you wouldn't use more than 2GB of RAM.
>>
>Can't even remove the useless 'x' on tabs anymore unless I install a super bloated addon.
>Gtk3
I want off this ride. What browser should I go to, /g/?
>>
>>53596901
>Smooth scroll is not a default of firefox, but it's the most necessary for forums.

You're implying two things;
1. Smooth scroll is an option
2. You're too dumb to configure it
>>
The upcoming addon overhaul makes me uneasy.
>>
I browse /wsg/gif/ in chrome, and watch YouTube in chrome, because the FF media player is shiiiiiiit.
I use it for everything else though.

The android version is really good now.
>>
>>53597116
i went back to chromium solely for the sane gtk2 fike-picker.
>>
The only things keeping me in Firefox are:
- Being able to fully edit the context menus
- Setting the browser to not close on last tab, which you can only sort of fix in chrome using an extension that requires you to run chrome pretty much as a service, which seems retarded to me.

Other than that, I expect to switch to chrome in two or three years, depending on how badly mozilla keeps fucking up.
>>
>>53595869
You are dead to me. Your corpse will rise again as Servo + SpiderMonkey + browser.html
>>
>>53597019
>2. defaulting to yahoo (bing) search
That's just stupid.

>5. reinventing the wheel (media player, download manager, pdf viewer). Why not just integrate with wget/gstreamer/native shit instead of reimplementing the desktop in a browser
They use media foundation on windows, gstreamer on *nix(if present), and whatever is native on OSX I think it's called cairo. All native OS implementations.
>>
>>53597109
You can just reduce the maximum size of memory used in about:config.
>>
you wont stop fucking over my addons
you changed your UI to just being a shittier version of chrome's
no matter how much memory you hoard you still weren't as fast as chromium
involving politics in software is cancer
>>
>>53597130
If your addon(s) have versions for chromium you really shouldn't worry. If they don't then you probably still shouldn't worry because Mozilla isn't phasing out old addons for probably another year or two.

e10s will probably be the bigger issue with your old addons and it could be added to stable in one of the next few versions.
>>
>>53597042
Lennart plz, go back to developing systemd already
>>
The fox set on fire hahahahhahahahaha
>>
/g/ just likes to complain.

>My addons constantly breaking in firefox! Why are you removing my old extensions Mozilla!?
Mozilla is aware that your addons are constantly breaking that's why they want to make a stable set of APIs that rarely have to change. Currently addons just hook into the internals of firefox and changing anything inside can render hundreds/thousands of addons unusable. This used to be okay when the web was just static content but it's just not realistic anymore. The developers need to be able to modify the internals of their web browser and addons need to work between these different versions. Right now old addons are holding back progress and hindering security and stability features(e10s and sandboxing).
>>
>>53596921
Mah nigga
>>
>>53597517
It's a little furstrating when at the same time they remove features and tell users to use addons if they still want said features.
>>
>>53595869
You gave up on yourself.
>>
>>53595912
>Netflix
>sync
wew lad
>>
>>53596919
But iceweasel has been discon... oh I see you use a server distro on your desktop
>>
>>53597538
Tabs aren't sandboxes to their own thread. This means that scripts may overflow their memory space and steal data from other tabs.
>>
>>53597598
These new APIs arrived very late, really Mozilla should have introduced them years ago. It would have made the transition to e10s way less painful and their addon market wouldn't have collapsed to the same extent because chromium addons could easily be ported.
>>
>>53597620
>quoting without any insightful comments refuting his pleb software selling points
wew lad
>>
>>53597669
A good thing too late is still a good thing if its still useful. I have always thought that features such as sync, hello, developer tools should all be addons instead of being compiled into the main release.
>>
>>53595912
>Google accounts
>Firefox sync
wew
>>
>>53597019
>1. Eich
You know, I MIGHT'VE complained back then about Eich, but then there's that Brave browser bullshit and I think Mozilla might not be so off.
>>
>>53597969
The only thing I really despise is Pocket. It's a proprietary service with a ToS that basically sells your soul, and Mozilla is endorsing it. They were actually working on their own FOSS alternative to Pocket and just dropped it and replaced it with the Pocket bundleware. They did the same with facebook and that social API shit a while back but that didn't pan out and died after a while.
>>
>>53595869
I never will unless Chrome gets a decent tabs management add on.
>>
>>53597625
>server distro
Confirmed Ubuntu user
>>
I've been using Iridium for the past month and loving it, infinitely more lightweight than FireFox without the chromium/chrome bothet

Surprised it's not more popular around here
>>
>>53599663

I liked it better when it was called SRware Iron.
>>
>>53595912
Chrome/Chromium only supports 720p on Netflix though.
>>
>>53595869
I didn't. You're the browser on most of my machines, and your big brother SeaMonkey lives in my desktop.
>>
>>53599837
They're two distinct Chromium forks though?
>>
>>53596841
>multi-thread support and having each tab as a separate process like the other browsers

How often does your browser crash, anon? Is this feature something they really need to waste effort copying from Chrome?
>>
>>53595869
Because I wanted to try Chrome when it came out, by the time I was ready to switch back I'd found out Opera was better
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.