[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I've been looking into smd and smt stuff (I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: led-vs-smd3.jpg (64 KB, 860x500) Image search: [Google]
led-vs-smd3.jpg
64 KB, 860x500
Hey guys, I've been looking into smd and smt stuff (I've only worked with through hole circuitry) and was wondering about resistors. Do they make smt resistors as efficient or with the same resistance as through hole. I know that I might sound retarded but the size thing is throwing me off. pic almost related?
>>
>>53595206
>led vs smd
it makes no fucking sense
>>
>led vs smd
I think you mean
led vs smd led,
also I dont see why they wouldn't make smd resisters that are equal to through hole ones, though they might not be able to handle as many watts
(do your research tho, shit will get you a long way)
>>
>>53595332
this, desu senpai
>>
Found the pic on google. Didn't care so much about leds but thanks for the info.
>>
Resistor efficiency? You may want to make sure you know what a resistor actually does.

SMD/SMT resistors are fine for most applications. As previously stated, they typically have a lower power tolerance (obvious because a smaller size means you have a smaller surface area to dissipate over). You can usually get them to higher resistance tolerances than through hole resistors as well.

The hardest part of using them is making sure you have the right footprint if you are designing a PCB.
>>
>>53595206
Nocturne was pretty cool.
>>
>>53595206
Yes they are still as efficient, in fact for capacitors SMD is the only way to go for low ESL which will become an issue for decoupling caps on anything running in the 100s of mhz.
>>
>>53595206
Look at your motherboard and see how many through hole resistors there are compared to SMT resistors. That should answer your question.
>>
Size of a resistor is more related to the wattage that it can disapate without altering the desired characteristics or damaging it. The power disapated by the resistor is approximately (I^2)*R for DC applications.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.