[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have 2 external hard drives. I want to make a clone backup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: wd-blue[1].jpg (418 KB, 1920x1672) Image search: [Google]
wd-blue[1].jpg
418 KB, 1920x1672
I have 2 external hard drives. I want to make a clone backup of drive 1 (D:) on drive 2 (E:). What is the best free Windows program to do this? Preferably with backup scheduling.
>>
File: 1429402380688.webm (3 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
1429402380688.webm
3 MB, 852x480
SyncBack Free
>>
>>53594405
Thanks, seems like a decent program. Only problem is the backup will copy new/changed files from drive 1 to drive 2, but if I remove some files from drive 1 between syncs, the next time I sync the removed files are not removed from drive 2. i.e., it only adds files to the backup drive 2, it doesn't take them away. So it can quickly be cluttered. Any way around this?
>>
>>53594706
Choose the Mirror option.
>>
>>53594723
That did it. Thank you sir!
>>
If you want an exact copy you can go to Disk Management in Windows and use software RAID1. It will clone immediately but use processing power to do it, so maybe a regular sync is better since that can sync while you sleep
>>
>>53594287
Partedmagic
>>
>>53597587
Processing power will be minimal. Disk write speed will be the bottleneck
>>
>>53594287
# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb conv=noerror,sync
>>
>>53600348
i thought linux was for smart peepole
you obviously have trouble with reading comprehension
>>
>>53600381

Use a live CD, faggot
>>
>>53594287
Deltacopy
It's basically rsync for Windows. You'll have to script it but it's a powerful tool.
>>
>>53600745
and how is that a free windows program?
>>
Just create a storage pool with the drives in parity
>>
>>53594287
C:\User > robocopy D:\ E:\ /mir

Repeat for each partition required.
>>
File: drive_bender.png (48 KB, 1597x897) Image search: [Google]
drive_bender.png
48 KB, 1597x897
Drive bender.

It has a 30 day free trial and costs $5 to "keep the lights on" that I find reasonable.

It syncs Drive 1 to Drive 2.

It has CRC file validation so if one of your files gets corrupted on Hard Dive 1 it uses the copy on Hard Dive 2 to fix it.

Email notifications for S.M.A.R.T events, updates, and if you fail crc file validation.

Uses ~100 mb of ram and is the closest you can get to ZFS for windows.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.