[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Arch get so much hate on here? I've been using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1458493891050.png (755 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1458493891050.png
755 KB, 1080x1920
Why does Arch get so much hate on here? I've been using it for a year and never had any problems with pacman breaking X or any other packages. Stability has never been an issue, either.

I installed it once, with a short and to-the-point installation guide, and I was done in less than 20 minutes.

What don't people like about it?
>>
>>53593726
install gentoo
>>
Many Arch users (especially on reddit and similar) are very loud and elitist, and generally a PITA.
>>
>>53593726
/v/ is scared of reading texts
>>
Debian testing > all
>>
rch isn't necessarily _bad_. There are some design and security issues I don't like (overwriting configuration files when reinstalling a package, pulling in AUR sources from external URLs, etc), but that's about it.

My problem with Arch is that it brings _nothing_ new to the table. Everything Archers brag about (KISS, customisation, community) has been a part of other distributions for decades. It's as though most Arch users think every non-Arch distribution is like Ubuntu and locks you in to a specific way of doing things.

I haven't seen any of the Arch developers push useful code upstream either. They just write a few Arch-specific scripts and patches. Go diff the mainline kernel against Arch's. Whereas other distributions add new features and bugfixes that later get accepted into the kernel proper, Arch just adds a few patches I doubt their developers even wrote:
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/linux

And yes, I realise that contributing back code isn't the be all and end all of a distribution. However, other distributions that are frequently attacked for not pushing code upstream contribute in other ways. The obvious example is Ubuntu; it does little for actual development, but it has done more for advocacy then any other distribution I can think of.
>>
>>53594761
but this is /g/.
>>
>>53595792
>53 million posts
Surely you don't think /g/ made all these?
>>
>>53595976
what the hell do you even think /g/ means faglord?
>>
>>53593726
It's to cutting edge for /g/
>>
>>53595792
which is mostly populated by /v/-tier posters
>>
The only valid reason for using arch is wanting to learn about linux.

For any other task it is objectively inferior to all other distros
>>
>>53593726
The elitist part of the userbase is too loud, specially on /g/, although now it's preety calmed down comparing it to a couple years back, you can even find cool people on it, if you're lucky enough.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.