[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How difficult is it to have Gentoo as your OS? Is it really THAT bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: gentoo-screen1.jpg (98 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-screen1.jpg
98 KB, 640x400
How difficult is it to have Gentoo as your OS?

Is it really THAT bad?
>>
>>53593522
Not difficult but it takes time
Unless you have a really powerful processor
>>
No, but you won't be as productive. If you like to tinker, its awesome.

The creator of gentoo doesn't use gentoo because he says he probably wouldn't get anything done if he did. Many people take this as a sign that it is a meme OS, but it's not necessarily the case.

If you want to have a close relationship with the software on your computer, the configuration and freedom, it could be a wet dream OS.
>>
>>53593522
Yeah. It takes over an hour to compile and install Firefox. Bigger programs take even longer. You can install from binary for some things, but at that point you might as well just use an OS that installs everything fast from binary.
>>
What's so good about Gentoo other than the customization?

Is there a gentoo based distro worth trying?
>>
>>53593903
>Is there a gentoo based distro worth trying?

Yeah, its called Gentoo
>>
>>53593903

Sabayon is based on Gentoo and suppose to be much friendlier to install (along the lines of Mint or Ubuntu). I haven't used it.

Funtoo is what the creator of Gentoo went on to make - installation is a bit more streamlined but still takes time and being able to follow a guide. I've used this and it is pretty damn similar to Gentoo.

The package manager is really what makes the distro. Based on USE flags you are installing software specifically for your unique configuration with as little bloat as possible. Read up about portage on wikipedia. Customization and speed are the main reason people like Gentoo.

People bitch about compile time as the main downside. Initial setup of OS might take a few extra hours but that seems worth it for something you plan to use for awhile. It is not a good fit for someone who wants to "try linux"
>>
>>53593522
Try Falafel.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.