[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How will learning discrete mathematics and algorithms improve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: nut.jpg (207 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
nut.jpg
207 KB, 1280x853
How will learning discrete mathematics and algorithms improve my ability as a programmer?
>>
not at all
>>
You'll be able to impress higher ups with cool recurrence relations of your algorithms you program
>>
You might be able to write more than database access code for one..
>>
File: 1451576351254.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1451576351254.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>53592951
I've never seen recurrence relation used in any real world program desu.
>>
>>53592951
You need to know graphs, algorithms on them and some basic data structures.
>>
>>53592951
Programming is literally applied algorithms. Its like asking how learning how to fire a gun will make you a better infantryman.
>>
You will be able to confuse the code monkeys and have job security.
>>
Discrete mathematics and in particular set laws help form the basis for notation in some networks courses. Studying software eng at unsw
>>
Depends. I think real programmers need that shit for interesting challenges and being on the front of tech (machine learning, image analysis, game engines, etc). I'm a derp non-degree senior webdev and knowing how to structure models and integrate services makes me money above code monkey grade pay. Also having devops skills makes me unique in small teams. Yes, I'm an imposter. But I make dat skrilla.
>>
>>53594993
what type of work do you do mostly? I just signed recently as a software engineer and think webdev is where I see myself going
>>
>>53595047
Lots of stuff.

I authored a suite of bash scripts that run as our automated LAMP backup service on 20+ servers at my full-time job (reports via email and Slack, complete backup rotation, backups onsite and offsite, and logs everything, including alerts on backup-fails).

I've written an integration with (framework-redacted) between several services such as CloudFlare and SiteImprove and Brightcove Video and more and more.

I also do IA planning and implementation.

What makes me happy? Not writing some complex algorithm to solve an interesting math issue with software. What does, is a flawless service migration from one provider to another with 0 down-time.

Of course, I occasionally do the whole webdev thing (front+back-end), depending on the project. But I mostly like working back-end and tying services together. Also, DB schema architecting blows, but anytime I successfully import data from one schema into a complete new one (one framework into another usually), I'm immensely satisfied.
>>
algorithms will give you efficient / quick ways to solve problems but
>discrete mathematics
just skip that meme m8
most programming (at least in my experiences as embedded programmer for ARM, linux system programmer, and web developer) is learning obscure meme abstractions and gluing libraries together (what you want to do is almost always already done by others cuz you aren't as creative as you think), you don't need to learn any special fields unless you directly need to program for those (say a discrete math calculator for ex)
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.