[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello audiopaedophiles of /g/. I'm going to convert few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: headset_spectrogram.gif (97 KB, 543x292) Image search: [Google]
headset_spectrogram.gif
97 KB, 543x292
Hello audiopaedophiles of /g/.

I'm going to convert few large FLAC audio files to a lossy format more suitable for portable devices.

I would like to support the notion of free and opensource standards, vorbis came to mind.

I've heard that vorbis codec is different from mp3 so different bitrates are used to achieve the same sound quality.

What bitrates are recommended for quality comparable/better to MP3@320kbps?
>>
Ogg vorbis q6 is the best codec for music and is smaller than opus at same target bitrate
>>
>>53592774
what's the recommended preset with ffmpeg?
>>
Opus is the best CBR codec
Vorbis is the best VBR codec
>>
>>53592851
I get it, what's the recommended preset to convert flac to a vbr vorbis file?
>>
Opus 128 vbr
>>
>>53592851
my device don't support ogg/opus :c
>>
>What bitrates are recommended for quality comparable/better to MP3@320kbps?
Q6 probably

You should experiment yourself and push it as low as you can. Vorbis is very good at lower bitrates.
>>
can someone explain sampling rates to me? Why is it that libvorbis will let me encode at no less than 45kbps is I keep using 44100 KHz sampling rate, but if I switch to 40000 KHz, all of a sudden I can go down to 36 kbps? And how come it lets me go down as low as 32 kbps at 44100 KHz if I switch from stereo to mono?
>>
>>53596001
uh.. before anyone mentions it, I meant to say Hz, not KHz
>>
>>53596001
frequency =/= update rate. that's all I know.
>>
>>53592851
>Opus
>CBR
Opus is vbr by design.
Opus is far better then Vorbis and every other lossy codec, period.

I use Opus at 160kbps and it's completely transparent on mobile devices. I could've gotten away with 128kbps to fit more songs but I played it safe. The combination of shit DACs in mobile devices and noisy environments degrade the quality so you won't be able to tell the difference between different codecs at reasonable bitrates anyways.

Anyone saying otherwise is an actual autistic audiophile and should be ignored.
>>
O P U S
P
U
S
>>
>>53592774
1: Vorbis is transparent at Q5
2: 128kbps is more than enough for Opus
3: Vorbis at 128k (Q4) sounds like shit
>>
File: 01 Black Sabbath.mp3.png (309 KB, 943x593) Image search: [Google]
01 Black Sabbath.mp3.png
309 KB, 943x593
hey bros
this sounds like shit, and you can notice a sorta shelf at 16k, but there is still data all the way up to 20
what does this mean? is it a transcode or not?
>>
>>53597005
>Vorbis at 128k (Q4) sounds like shit

this is not true
>>
>>53597404
The only reason why I bumped my Vorbis settings up to Q5 then Opus is because I started listening to music produced by people other than Rick Rubin and Q4 wasn't giving the music enough bits to breathe.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.