[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Software Engineering degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: html.jpg (813 KB, 1333x935) Image search: [Google]
html.jpg
813 KB, 1333x935
Don't fall for the software engineering degree.
Pic related - this is what you will learn
>>
>>53591508
Maybe you'll learn how to take photos
>>
>>53591508
http requests are some of the most important things that someone working with modern software needs to know
>>
>>53591597
Really? 'GET filename' on port 80 is considered class worthy? What about TCP and IP?
>>
>>53591638
Just because you learn HTTP Request methods does not mean you'll learn nothing else. People like you are the ones that drop out after a month.
>>
>>53591816
I agree, except - it's like 9th semester
>>
>>53591508
>hurr already know this
>durr why is it in the lecture
>>
>>53591897
To be fair; not knowing what a HTTP header looks like and the most common request types, makes you unemployable.
>>
>>53591952

Pretty much - means you can't even make a simple REST API
>>
>>53591638
For at least a single-lecture, but I'm sure the long reasoning as to why trying to create a stateful system that is interacted with over HTTP is incredibly troublesome should be of value.

The reasons why HTTP is stateless and how to avoid "accidentally" making stateful HTTP applications could easily fill an entire class.
>>
So, they're teaching you how HTTP works. Don't see the problem desu senpai.
>>
>>53591508

Actually that's very useful. Don't fuck up.
>>
File: burnt.jpg (50 KB, 337x471) Image search: [Google]
burnt.jpg
50 KB, 337x471
>>53591534
>>
>>53591990
It's annoying that I didn't learn shit about RESTful interfaces until I started my internship work. That's a huge blindspot in a lot of CS programs. The whole concept of decoupling your client and server is kind of ground-breaking. It opens up so many possibilities when your transactions are brokered through simple functional requests encoded in xml or json.

Delivering your system as a service or using an ESB to communicate between existing services now becomes a very tangible possibility. A lot of industries still have people still using javascript webscrapers to fill out input screens on adjacent systems, because RESTful interfaces just wasn't in their lingo.
>>
ITT, OP tries to fit in.
>>
>>53591638
>TCP and IP
people don't actually need to know this tho
>>
>>53591534
Damn son, you just got roasted.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.