[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things every CS major should be able to do: >implement a non-trivial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Things every CS major should be able to do:
>implement a non-trivial program in haskell
>write a scheme intepreter in C
>code a kernel
>code a HTTP server
>code a MCTS AI for Go
>without using libraries beyond the C standard library, implement handwriting recognition
>prove their fucking algorithms are correct instead of being a guessing code monkey
>>
File: 71yuS9KtHwL.jpg (214 KB, 1135x1490) Image search: [Google]
71yuS9KtHwL.jpg
214 KB, 1135x1490
None of that will give you a job
>>
>>53589113
>a CS degree is just code camp
>>
I need to finish that http server I was writing.
>>
>>53589050
I'm having a hard time disagreeing with you, although the Haskell and go parts may be a little too specific.
>>
>>53589420
If you know the general theory, the special case should be easy.
>>
>without using libraries beyond the C standard library, implement handwriting recognition
Woah man, I don't have a PhD yet.
>>
>>53589723
All those things are very simple though
>>
>>53589050
Now the real challenge, point out a school that equips you with the knowledge necessary to do this when you graduate.
>>
>>53589988
You're not a good CS major if you do the bare minimum. CS degrees are pretty easy, you're supposed to self-learn a lot during your free time.
>>
>implying knowing how to do any of that is even remotely useful
>>
>>53590136
Okay code monkey
>>
>>53589050
>Things every CS major should be able to do:
>prove their fucking algorithms are correct instead of being a guessing code monkey
Nah m80.
Don't follow this guy's advice.
A few small tests could easily prove an algorithm works as intended rather than spending hours on a proof for the entire program.

I could write test cases for all my projects faster than you could even write down what you're trying to prove.
>>
>>53590136
>functional is absurdly useful in data processing
>interpreters are everywhere
>kernels manage memory, filesystem, and process time slices
>http runs the modern economy, and you learn to read spec
>AI is everywhere
I don't know what one would learn from handwriting...
>algorithmic complexity predetermines performance, proof of completeness trivializes testing

It's like you can't see the forest from the trees
>>
>>53590161
riiight

>mfw cant do any of that
>mfw know basic ml
>any job i want, 300k starting
>>
>>53590188
>I could write test cases for all my projects faster than you could even write down what you're trying to prove.
If you can write test cases that quickly, you're probably not doing them correctly. Or all the projects you work on are under 100 lines of code.
>>
>>53589113
>>53590136
>i JUST want to make games
>>
>>53590104
My point was most CS degrees are literal garbage now days in comparison to how they were a decade or more ago. Outside of certain institutions you are not getting much for your dollar.
>>
>>53589916
lol
>>
>>53590231
lol do you "know" "basic" ML or do you understand enough to bullshit your way through a basic ML framework?
>>
>>53589050
Most of those are exercises in tedium...
>>
>>53590240
>If you can write test cases that quickly, you're probably not doing them correctly. Or all the projects you work on are under 100 lines of code.
If your proof for an algorithm can be done faster than the time it takes to write 50-100 test cases, then you're probably not doing the proof correctly. Or all the algorithms you prove are simplistic at best.
>>
>>53590937
>told as fuck
>comes back with "no u"
Good job, friend
>>
I almost thought I was on /sci/ for a second.

They're right about CS majors and CS programs, these days.
>>
>>53590136
Go write yet another fucking text editor faggot
>>
>>53589050
>using C for anything other than device drivers and kernels
>>
>>53591999
>posting that meme again
>>
>>53589050
Why would a CS major be able to do this? It's like saying every art major should know how to read Latin. Whats the point?

You know specializations exist for a reason right? Doing a bunch of pointless unrelated shit like that just makes unless as a person in society. You would be no better than the women study majors if you believe this.
>>
>>53592589
t. HTML "programmer"
>>
>>53593333
Quads confirm
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.