[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinkpad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Can someone explain to me why they are so great
>>
they're decent price/performance
and for some reason people like the clit mouse
>>
>>53586474
Thanks, it's a replacement for my 5 year old alienware
>>
File: IMG_20151019_113016227.jpg (913 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151019_113016227.jpg
913 KB, 2592x1456
>>53586540
Replace it with a 5 year old thinkpad :^)
>>
>>53586417
there's a nice hardware manual that shows you exactly how to replace nearly every individual part
>>
File: bump.jpg (42 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
42 KB, 350x197
>>53586553
>>
>>53586417
They're not that great.
Since Lenovo owns the brand quality is average for the price point at best, the new input devices are nothing special, they aren't more repairable than other business grade laptops.
They are not bad but look at Dells Latitude and XPS series, HP Pro/Elite books and Macbooks.
If you don't need the giant batteries that only lenovo offers I'd go with something else if money is not that big of a deal.
>>
>>53588151
Fat loser.
>>
Thinkpads are generally just good business tier laptops. When Lenovo took over the brand kinda went down for a bit and almost became another Acer, Toshiba, Dell, etc kind of company, where they pump out consumer tier crap 24/7. But Lenovo didnt sink that low at least. Theyre good machine and they run well.

Pre Lenovo IBM thinkpads are god tier, danm near indestructible and were designed as a true businessman's laptop at the time, something with power, something that would last. Even the models like the X60 or T42 are still very viable machines today with a quick ram upgrade and maybe a ganoo linooks installation over Windows XP.
>>
>>53586417
They are one of the few laptop manufacturers that makes a good keyboard.
They usually last a long time, so you can get one used when companies sell them and they are barely touched and really cheap.
Don't buy them new, they are just as overpriced as apple computers.
>>
>>53588190
care to elaborate?
I go through a lot of laptops (get a new one from my employer every year) and the new Thinkpads just aren't that great.
I really don't see a reason why you would buy one if you don't need the 9cell batteries.
>>
>>53588151
This. I jumped ship to Dell years ago. The old ones were great, but Lenovo is shit now.
>>
>>53586474
I made fun of the clit mouse online a while back and got totally BTFO.
>>
>>53586417
Should i get a thinkpad 11e?
>>
>>53589889
no
>if its not a T, W or X series its not a real thinkpad
>>
>>53589901
What about L series?
>>
>>53590019
not >>53589901 but L series is ok, a tad worse quality than T/X/W but nothing dramatic.
>>
The only thing bad about them is their appearance.
They really don't have any other faults.
>>
To explain

The old thinkpads were well made, rugged, good performing workhoreses and become very popular among IT people, meaning they got good support and loads of resources.

they were also very expensive, but times move on and those durable, well build things become 5 year old and started being sold off as second hand goods for $100 - $150

Now NEET neackbeards could get them, and jerk off to anime while running linux on them

Anyway, I had thinkpad E540 in my hands recently, cleaning keyboard that has spill and started to get sticky.

I have to say, I checked it in shops and without OS with i3 + HD display (not FHD), it cost ~400€ which is not bad for new mid tier notebook. yes, yes, inb4 not a real thinkpad like this faggot>>53589901

no one smart buys "real" thinkpads anymore, Dell XPS and precision lines are better, and without superfish spyware(inb4 only in consumer lines)
>>
>>53586417
durable, nice keyboard, decent components.

it's not great tho, since it's overpriced as fuck.
>>
No idea, the new ones are so overpriced they make Applel look like charity.
>>
>>53586417
they're really good at absorbing that heavy flow
>>
File: Ragecopy[1].png (235 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
Ragecopy[1].png
235 KB, 582x600
>>53586553
>that huge bottom bezel which could have been a 16:10
>>
Why are all thinkpad's FN and CTRL keys in the wrong order? I am thinking about buying an HP just because of this...
>>
>>53586417
Has a nipple. Literally what keeps me from buying anything else

and no HP and Dell trackpoints are shit
>>
>>53591813
Fat virgin.
>>
>>53591813
you can switch it in bios
>>
>>53591813
Fucking deal with it you pussy. It's not like you're forced to use a whole new layout, it's a fucking 2 button switch.
>>
>>53586417

The performance to price to build quality to ruggedness places them at a spot where they are relatively good in all sheres of portable computing. Plus they are well documented and easy to service yourself, which is always a plus if you know what you are doing.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.