[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
drop uni?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1451428120716.jpg (131 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
1451428120716.jpg
131 KB, 600x850
sup /g/

wondering your opinions on if I should bother continuing my uni degree, this is my last semester to keep working on it, deferred it as much as I can

not some lazy cunt, getting good marks but i got hired out my first year into it by a lecturer starting his own company, two years later I've had 3 years industry experience and work as a mid level software engineer

good ol mum is hassling me to continue it anyway, feel like it's waste of money at this point and that i don't need it

thoughts?
>>
>>53585802
You may have the skills, but companies look for that piece of paper because it shows long term commitment. If it's really your last semester before graduation just embrace the suck and move on.
>>
That depends where you live and how much they value a degree. Over here I'd have immedietely had dropped out because I'd get a guaranteed formal experience which is valued more than a piece of paper, but things may differ in your country. Besides, you're one semester away from finishing it, then why not go for it? Only half a year of hassle and you'll have a degree.

Also >>>/a/
>>
>>53585842
>>53585856

im in australia, all jobs I've got so far I've done so off the back of my own experience and demo projects and making friends with others at meetups and shit.

Just over a full semester of study needed to graduate, but since I've deferred my course so much most of the classes may be obsolete before then and it'll be impossible for me to graduate and I'll have to do the whole fucking thing all over again (minus courses I can get credit for again)

most big corp jobs I've looked at have all said "or equivalent practical experience"

would i really be that fucked over in aus? no signs of my employer letting me go, so I can easily get another 2-3 years out of this job
>>
>>53585842 here

Burgerclap, so whatever I said might be moot then. If you've got a gig and a CV, you should be safe to drop. If you get lucky and someone that picks you up later likes what you're doing they might send you back to get a degree while you're working. That way they can get you up the ladder and get a raise. Again take what I'm saying with a grain of salt since I don't know how much different it is down there.
>>53585907
>>
>>53585802
>>53585842
>>53585856
>>53585907
>>53585970
I was in the same situation as OP a year ago or so.

It doesn't matter what country you live in. Just finish what you have fucking started. Honestly, you're gonna regret it if you don't.
>>
>>53585802
If you invested that much time and money in case you are in burger land, then you may as well finish it.
>>
>>53585802
Yes.
If you're dumb enough to be a maki fag you'll never make it through uni you shit cunt
>>
>>53586058
dont watch anime, posted it for this thread since i know you fags love that shit
>>
>>53585802
Education degrees are worthless nowadays anyway. People go to uni for opportunities like this. Fuck college. You have 3 years which beats a stupid degree by a mile.
>>
>>53585802
Please finish your education. There are multiple ways to regret dropping out of it, and I can't seem to find any way to regret finishing it.
>>
Ditching college is the first step to beating the system. The idea that college is necessary is an idea created by "the man". College is for extra knowledge, not for careers.
>>
if you've already started then go finish it. Dropping it now is a waste of money. Get that "hey look I'm not retarded" certificate that so many employers look for.
>>
>>53586156
dropping out of college is the equivalent to spending your money on lottery tickets in a lot of ways. if you look hard enough, you'll find a few success cases, but in general a rigorous search will *mostly* turn up a bunch of people who made a huge mistake (or a series of mistakes).

Your best chance at being financially solvent is in finishing university. it's sexier to roll the dice and drop out, but the safe bet is university.
>>
>>53585802
Depends

If you are going to drop uni to become a mechanic, or a soldier, or something where you use your hands and you feel happy doing it then yeah sure drop uni

If you drop uni to become a software developer or an IT worker without formal education and proper math knowledge then NO, DON'T DROP UNI!!

Being a code monkey or a tech support guy is easy, and you may make a few bucks but down the line you will regret it.

I'm talking from experience
>>
If you don't want to get stuck in your career, finish that degree.
>>
>>53586000
This

And don't believe your friendly employee who is saying "lol anon, who needs a degree and education anyway, you are making money and they are not, you may make a few money now but we won't forget how essential you are to our business" and then proceed to fire you a few years down the line and hiring a younger uneducated fool which you are forced to train

He is lying and he is taking advantage of you and you will have to live with the regret of squandering your talent by dropping out of university
>>
>>53585802
what are you trying to get out of this thread, seriously

you want the opinions of anonymous people on vague information on a generic topic
wtf?

you already put a "meh whatever, fuck it" attitude when typing the op.
youve already decided on what you wanted to do before you made this - dont try and get the reinforcing positive opinions so you feel good about making a big boy choice. in the end they dont mean shit anyway.

have fun anon, welcome to the neet club over on /v/
>>
>>53586295
This. Nice bait OP
>>
>>53586295
Actually, this thread has changed my mind and I've come around to your way of thinking.

My GPA was 6.78 at the time of writing this thread, I don't think it'll be possible to finish this course. I'm going to call and meet with my course convenor and a few others and see if I dropped the course how much I could transfer into the new one. It's all doable online now so shouldnt be a huge hassle
>>
>>53586446
goodluck, and stand by your choices. theres no going back once you drop it

youre going to run into people who will say youre retarded regardless of what you do.

dont look back and youll be fine
>>
That degree will significantly raise your starting wage when you need a new job, finish it even if it takes you a year extra.

If you degree is good then you will also have the math skills needed to get the really good jobs
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.