[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do phones ever die As long as you replace the battery, do phones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160319_153205041.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_153205041.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Do phones ever die

As long as you replace the battery, do phones ever really shit the bed. Like does the cpu or ram etc ever malfunction. I have my phone in the pic and am just wondering how its still functioning
>>
>>53584622

Nigga just get a new phone. They're not that expensive
>>
Probably the number one thing to shit first is the USB port. Batteries although they degrade don't just "die" often.
>>
>>53584650
This is an experimental phone pleb
>>
why the hell do people always have cracked screens on their iphones.

seriously, do you throw it against the ground all the damn time.
>>
>>53584669
The port died a long time ago but this phone is notorious for that (droid incredible 2 port)
>>
>>53584676
IPhones have the weakest screens, I don't think they added corning glass till like the 5s maybe?
>>
>>53584673

*tips fedora*
>>
>>53584698
Thanks
>>
>>53584622
Also interested in this
I have an old ass Samsung Galaxy Fit and it still works perfectly. Its kinda slow because of the dated hardware and more modern applications running on it, but it runs flawlessly

Just what is the maximum 'age' of a smartphone?
>>
File: Faris02a.jpg (101 KB, 762x1046) Image search: [Google]
Faris02a.jpg
101 KB, 762x1046
the layer separating the gate from substrate in transistors of flash memory will deteriorates each rewrite cycle so memory become unusable eventually w/ use
>>
>>53584972
Wouldn't that happen FAR after the death of the phone because of some issue like cpu failure?
>>
>>53584984
yeah since only one transistor stop working can cause it to fail possibly, depending where it is.
i don't really know how long cpus should be expected to last though.
>>
File: TWRP-Recovery-Motorola-Defy.jpg (33 KB, 410x362) Image search: [Google]
TWRP-Recovery-Motorola-Defy.jpg
33 KB, 410x362
I got a Defy as my backup phone. The only problem is that part of the top of the LCD leaked, but the screen is intact. But I got that phone for free and it was already like that, so not my fault.

The battery was pretty shit, but I found a cheap replacement and now it's less shit, but at least it can last a day.
>>
the screen backlight and screen itself would fail well before the circuitry itself did. unless you soak the thing in tap water and then turn it on.
>>
>>53584957
Judging from the specs and the screen, I'm just wondering what you use it for. I'm at least able to watch most streaming services that aren't too high quality on the custom ROM its on
>>
>>53584622
I have an 11 yrs old Palm Treo which still works, so nope. Phones live forever.

And by "it works" I mean nothing is really broken in it, all works as it did when I bought it, except the battery only holds for about a day. Which is typical of current smartphones, lmao. We made so much progress since then...
>>
>>53584622
Of course they do.
Like TV, like computers.

It's not magic.

You're a stupid man.

>verizon
Oh ok, american.
>>
that is sick as fuck op keep trucking with that guy
>>
>>53584622

Display delamination is biggest issue in my experience.

Even batteries last for very long, did some testing with almost 20 years old startac 130 and according to analyzer battery still holds about 1/3 of rated capacity.
>>
>>53584957
The maximum age for me is when you stop getting apps and stuff for it

I might possibly still be using my Nokia N97 still, but everyone dropped Symbian
>>
File: 1445281572377.gif (662 KB, 292x300) Image search: [Google]
1445281572377.gif
662 KB, 292x300
AMOLED screens like on the Samsungs will eventually whittle away as the blue subpixels burn out and the usual onscreen elements burn in. My old ass S3 still looks fine. Even the clock hasn't burnt in or anything yet.
>>
>>53586300
>>53586312
I was specifically talking about smart phones. We all know those old flip phones in a landfill still power on and work

>>53586793
Yeah without custom Roms I'd be sol, almost nothing in the play store works on pre ICS
>>
NAND first
>>
Having this dilemma.

>currently have a nexus 5
>contract up
>love the phone, fast enough for me
>literally no reason to upgrade/replace
>wish it would "die" to make it easy
>>
>>53587159
Heh either resell it or keep it as a backup, nexus hold their value well
>>
My G4 died to the common bootloop issue after about 8 months.
>>
>>53584669
Tbh the thing ive seen most is broken screens, never had my screen break though despite dropping it every now and then
>>
>>53587159
When my dad renewed his contract he always gave away his current phone and used the new one, some people just sell the new "free" phone that they get with the contract, not sure what your contract is like
>>
>>53585074
>rajeev
>>
Think it depends on your definition of "dead" a lot of end users don't even think to replace the battery before saying the phone is useless
>>
>>53584622

As was already said, your USB port is most likely the first thing to shit the bed. Then your battery, then your NAND memory, CPU's and RAM almost never break unless subjected to extreme temps or something.

Micro USB2 ports are only rated for 500-1000 cycles I think, which is only between 1 and 2 years for most people. I've had the metal case of the port literally drop out the bottom of one of my phones after just over a year.

USB3 type C is rated for 5000-10000 cycles though I think. So Batteries are likely to become the main problem in the future (particularly if all manufacturers switch to non-removable).
>>
>>53584622
>tfw mom's Sony Ericsson K850i recently failed with some weird display issue

It still worked, but the display was showing incorrect, dull colors and somehow instantly developed severe image retention, both of which made it extremely difficult to read anything on. I took it apart and couldn't see anything wrong with it, reconnected everything and that didn't help, it was time to RIP after something like 7 years of good service.

>tfw I couldn't even find a good new dumbphone for her to replace it with

She ended up getting some cheap prepaid flip phone from AT&T but it's absolute junk with poor reception and I wish I could find her something better.
>>
>>53584622
The risk that any of the non-consumable hardware components will fail for a reason other than environmental or construction factors (soldering, gluing, weak frames etc) is negligible, especially when compared to the perceived aging of the phone: The battery life declines very rapidly, the screen will often be cracked or exposed to varying temperatures and humidity, and most importantly, new software updates will make old phones even slower when compared to the new ones that the software is designed for.

Just get a new phone.
>>
>>53587405
Imo that doesn't break a phone, you can still replace the port or even get a battery charger if its removable

>>53587423
Oh this phone is a throwaway, I use is strictly for watching streaming stuff and other bs. Was thinking about taking it with me so the rare chance I get robbed they can have this phone instead of my moto g
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.