[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I do okay? This is mostly to replace an ancient Phenom II
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160319_224157_868.jpg (732 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_224157_868.jpg
732 KB, 3264x1840
Did I do okay? This is mostly to replace an ancient Phenom II X4, but I sprang for the ram since it was cheap and the mobo wanted a different kind anyway. A few years ago I would've just stayed with 8 gigs, which is what I got now, but browsers always seem to bloat up to 4 gigs of memory usage.

I didn't buy a new card cuz apparently there's a die shrink happening soon, and both nVidia and AMD are gonna be doin it at around the same time. I only have the vaguest understanding of what that means other than GPUs are gonna be somewhat cheap soon.
>>
>i5 in 2016
>skymeme
at least mobo and ram are ok
>>
New GPUs are suppose to have better power consumption which make them cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>53581625
I donno what the skymeme is but IIRC when I was looking at i7s they were like $200 more than this i5. I got this one cuz it could be OC'd, but I've only OC'd with the Phenom and that had a really easy program for doing it without fucking around in the bios.
>>
>>53581703

Just leave the turbo features on and call it good unless you have some fanatic performance requirement to resolve with overclocking. Coming from the Phenom II x4 lineup you will almost certainly find nothing that requires extreme overclocking for your day to day use or gaming.
>>
>>53581625
>skymeme
There's nothing wrong with Skylake if you're coming from a processor 2nd gen or older. The Phenoms were about the time the Core2 was around.
>>
>>53581583
Honestly i thin the i5 is shit for 2016 maybe it was good in 2014 at launch but not now its only got IPc and nothing else and "good enough" shouldn't be acceptable anymore IMO.

I was thinking of getting the same brand (gigbyte) but no deals going

and skylake is 2 years old almost the same age as my mobo
to be honest I thought about it today but the motherboards are so expensive in NZ

If i do i'd go with the i7 and K version that has some nice compute power to voltage there is no debate on that

so rumours are going around that summit ridge is going to be the same price.
I also heard a rumor that there is no 4.0GHz Zen?
welp fuck wanted 4.0Ghz of compute power.
If that's the case then fuck Zen, its back on the Intel boat (again)

JUST.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rtB4RB
rate my build guys
>>
>>53584899
>skylake is 2 years old almost
The hell are you talking about? Skylake is the current generation.
>>
>>53581583
I basically did the exact same build as you with a few changes. Bought the 6600 instead of the k version cause I didn't overclock my last chip much and it was cheaper and runs more efficient than the k at stock speeds.

I also bought almost the same model motherboard, but cheaper. Mine required me to add a header for optical audio. Beyond that I think you paid more money for nothing.

Lastly I did pick up an M.2 drive which screams.

And again because apparently we think alike I also am waiting to upgrade my gpu. Whenever I feel like buying oculus. Probably next year.
>>
File: 1458128185957.jpg (258 KB, 989x1484) Image search: [Google]
1458128185957.jpg
258 KB, 989x1484
>>53584667
>nothing wrong with Skylake
Yeah, apart from the fact you can get 90% of that power with previous gen haswell for a now sizeable discount on top of the hiked up price of the current generation.

4460/4590/4690 are more than adequate for most of us unless you're doing rendering or >1080p video editing and stuff like that.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.