[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fucking christ, I'm trying out Ubuntu right now on a spare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 3.3.jpg (3 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
3.3.jpg
3 KB, 333x333
Fucking christ, I'm trying out Ubuntu right now on a spare hard drive. I consider myself computer illiterate, but this OS is driving me crazy. I tried installing Steam, but it threw out some dependancies it needed and couldn't install. How often have you used windows, downloaded a program, only to find out that the program needs a whole bunch of other programs to run. And you have to do all of this in the terminal. If this is supposed to be Baby's first Linux, than real Linux OSs must be for maximum autists. This is an OS that won't remember any of your settings unless you sudo-setting!)(!()()( -- 59 ) -bash + tuna just so it will remember your default desktop resolution.

Operating systems are like tools. I need to screw something in. Windows is power drill. Ubuntu is a bunch of rocks that I have to look up online the propper chipping methods to form the shape of the screw driver, and this screw driver breaks every time I use it, so I have to make a new one every time I want to screw something in. TL;DR - I want an OS, not a child that needs to be babysat.
>>
>>53580078
>install OS for the first time
>first thing to install is steam

>>>/v/
>>
>>53580078

>computer literate
>steam

Kill you are self
>>
>>53580078
1. read the sticky
2. never conm back
3. profit /g/
>>
Try Kali Linux it's much more user friendly.
>>
>>53580089
Yeah, I am >>>/v/ . You guys said that M$ is a botnet, so I decided to try out the easiest Linux OS.
>>
File: 4L_DXE7mgKT.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
4L_DXE7mgKT.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>53580078
>he uses steam
>he wastes his life plays video games
>>
>>53580090
He said he was computer ILLITERATE.Learn how to read.
>>
B8

The life of windows
>download installer.exe
>installer.exe downloads actual software
>100pg EULA
>blindly accept
>installer .exe downloads software
>would you like bloat browser bar?
>would you like bload antivirus?
>install all dependencies redundantly even though already on machine
>>
>>53580116
+1 all GUI u dont have to open terminal ever
>>
>>53580141

Shut up faggot
>>
>>53580078
My serious answer. If you don't want to use Linux, don't use it. You will have to learn a different way of doing things, so if that is a problem for you, stick with what you know. If you still want to use Ubuntu, install the KDE Desktop Environment. It will make your life with Linux way easier, thanks to simple windows like Graphical Settings.

BTW a fun thing with Linux is there are lots of DEs to choose from, unlike Windows or OSX which only have one.
>>
>>53580078
>computer illiterate
>tries out linux
>"WAAH IT'S SHIT!!!1!1!!"
oh ok
>>
>>53580301
I only did it because I wanted to try using https://github.com/jcjohnson/neural-style with my 660ti
>>
>>53580411
There are lots of cool amateur projects like that using Linux. I still recommend Kde for the Windows crossover.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.