[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/ programmers lets discuss Linux(Unix-y) and other(Windows/OSX)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: form_vs_function.gif (434 KB, 536x400) Image search: [Google]
form_vs_function.gif
434 KB, 536x400
So /g/ programmers
lets discuss Linux(Unix-y) and other(Windows/OSX) way of coding and software/solution design.

In Linux it seems: Do one thing and do it well.
>Do one thing
make it specialized
>Do it well
make the code minimal(speed)
Goal: to make it lightweight on resources and fast
>But today we have PCs so fast(cpu,gpu,ram -wise) that Unix way seems not to be needed.

In windows it seems: Make it work, and full featured
>make it work
takes 50 more ram? we have 16g anyway, and who uses Pentium anymore? just make it do the job
>full featured
an audio player must play all media files, must have tags, cd burner, streaming, and ability to add anime background... you know, people may need those
Goal: make it do the job and have every possible need? of a costumer. and FUCK Pentium! go upgrade

In OSX it seems: make it easy, and beautiful
>make it easy
if 1% need some obscure configs, why confuse the rest 99%, if one click can do it, then one click.
>make it beautiful
that gui and animations take another 200 ram? again 16g m8!
Goal: your costumer knows nothing about programming or what "config" means, and he shouldn't.

its like using big words when arguing, though your well structured statements and accurate words, the other end is clueless of what you are saying. -regarding Linux way

so /g/, what do you think about this matter, what design way is the best?
>>
>>53579404
>In Linux it seems: Do one thing and do it well.
That's the "muh unix philosophee".
Which again, has been a confirmed meme for quite some time.

None of the important stuff which make linux run adheres to this philosophy.
GNU never did (thank god for that).
systemd
pulseaudio
x
>>
>>53579404
>But today we have PCs so fast(cpu,gpu,ram -wise) that Unix way seems not to be needed.
It may not be needed in terms of performance, but it makes maintainability and extensibility miles easier, which is especially important for open source projects (although really it's important for everything)
>>
>>53579453
>Systemd makes Linux run
Oh boy...
>>
>>53579453
but in open source this religion is still going on
ugly code is dreaded, even if it sacrifices little performance
feature bloat is dreaded too
systemD and pulseaudio

i didnt find this way of coding in neither windows or OSX, performance drop is a not a problem there, because with todays hardware its almost not noticed
>>
>>53579455
>maintainability
but its up to the coder himself to maintain it, no one will understand some softwares code better than the coder himself, i dont assume my clients are programmers, i assume they are regular people searching for a solution for a broblem

costumers need solutions, they dont need/want? to know how that solution works, non of my costumers were interested in knowing how my program worked, as long it worked and was easy

i am doing a research on open source in hopes to convert my uni from proprietary to FLOSS, but my surveys are concluding that people are more attracted to windows -and more to OSX- style of solving solutions than linux(unix) way
>>
>>53579404
> audio player must play all files
> tfw can't play opus on windows without VLC but almost every player can on Linux
>>
>>53579895
This. Linux is more customizable in almost every case..
>>
>>53580313
>>53579895
*GNU/Linux
>>
File: linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg (303 KB, 806x938) Image search: [Google]
linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg
303 KB, 806x938
>>53580367
>*GNU/Linux
You mean Linux. The Linux operating system.
>>
>>53579404
>linux(unix-y) and other(windows/osx)
so in what way is linux unix-y that os x isn't?

I'm not saying os x conforms to unix, but if you're being flexible with the threshold, what substantive way is linux adhering to unix that os x doesn't?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.