[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
is this a good deal for first time computer?

finally computer that not parents, /g/ usually think core 2 duo okay?
>>
>>53578693
i'd buy it in Australia but shit is expensive here so may not actually be a good deal where you are.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
here other choice

slower memory? not sure what /g/ think of compaq?
>>
>>53578693
What do you want to use it for?
E8400 is a godlike CPU btw.
>>
>>53578693
It's better than getting 2 shitty Raspberry Pis or something.
>>
That's fine for basically any non-gaming need.

Realistically you're not going to get a whole computer setup for that price, accounting case and monitor.
>>
>>53578733
web browse, python coding, old game like TF2
>>
>>53578693
The included LCD makes it an okay deal.

do bear in mind that you will not be running any games more intensive than Freecell and Minesweeper on this.
>>
I'll give you a better-spec'd HP box for $50
>>
>>53578863
Absolute bullshit.

I played UT99 on my fucking 486dx2, this nigga can play more than minesweeper.
>>
>>53578852
Well the e8400 is pretty awesome. But you maybe have to switch the PSU and get a cheap used gpu.
>>
>>53578905
If he's asking the question, he's not going to appreciate a more nuanced answer of how it'll run some games at some settings but not other games, and he might be able to get such-and-such a video card to expand that set of games to one that includes many but not all titles, etc. He'll just stare at it for a second and say "Anon said it'll play games, good!"
>>
>>53578947
those systems play 2013 versions of WoW on reasonably high FPS
>not minesweeper
>can't answer a kid's simple question
>>
>>53578905
486? doubtful
>>
>>53578947
youre a fucking retard. A 3GHz Core2 is literally an average computer today, not old or obsolete, you stupid fuck
>>
>>53578693
I have a VM server that has a core2duo, can't do much with it other than logging.
>>
>shopping at WeirdStuff Warehouse
Excellent choice of store, OP.
>>
>>53579079
It ran just fine in software rendering at 320x240, I don't recall but all settings were almost certainly minimized.

Admittedly I didn't have any sound or multiplayer but I still enjoyed shooting the bots.

Later on my father and I networked it with a 386 we were given for spares and played mechwarrior against eachother.
>>
>>53579124
>>53579124
Intel Ark says that specific core2 was released Q1 of 2008
>>
>>53579283
That specific cpu can be overclocked to 3.6 ghz by just increasing the fsb.
Source: did it myself
>>
>>53578693
For the price it's okay.
>>
>>53578729
Pick this. Upgrade RAM.
>>
>>53579283
And? A 3 Ghz C2Q is more than capable as a basic daily driver, heck it probably has more computing power than 95% of (non gaming) people ever use
>>
>>53579283
Because CPU performance increased soooo much since 2008, right?

It will suck to play CPU intensive games like GTA even with a good GPU but casual stuff is absolutely no problem for it.
>>
Less than worthless, they should be happy that you're willing to take it off their hands.
>>
>>53579422
hasnt it with the new architextures?
>>
>>53581424
It did in an absolute sense but it's not something you'll notice without using software that benefits from the speed bump. Besides, it seems that efficiency was a bigger focus, which isn't surprising given how AMD gave up competing at least half a decade ago.
>>
>>53578693
update the RAM to 4GB, slap on an SSD as a boot drive and now you got a desktop computer to do things a smartphone does

When you want an actual desktop, just start from scratch. Don't even bother reusing the case or anything, probably soldered on or whatever anyways never mind the actual space.
>>
never heard of this store. there's one in sunnyvale apparently. should i go peruse, /g/?
>>
>>53578729
I think it's a very good deal for what you're getting, but it's very basic.

Do they have refurbished business laptops too? Those might be cool since at least they'd have more utility than an ancient desktop but still perform the same day-to-day computer uses. At least you'll still find a great use for them even if you eventually get an enthusiast desktop.
>>
What 6 years of technology can do for you.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=955&cmp[]=2388

OP - Unless you have a spare SSD to stick in that thing, it's not worth it.
>>
>>53578729
OP Where in aus are you, I can hook you up with a second hand GPU if your in melb, I have a radeon hd 5670 sitting here collecting dust. Only been used for testing.
>>
>>53581953
not in aus, in usa
>>
>>53578693
core2duo was a great cpu. dont let the shills tell you otherwise.
>>
>>53579422
I would argue that Sandybridge is the last big jump we had in terms of CPU processing power.

But a desktop E8400 is probably only 10-20% slower than a sandybridge laptop.

45nm might have been good but desktop sandy is 4 years old now and can probably be found cheap second hand as well.
>>
>>53578693
All depends what you want out of it. I'd definitely upgrade the RAM and HDD since they're horribly small, but the rest looks absolutely fine.

>>53578729
Compaq's shit. Mostly same everything else, but you get Vista and a slightly less laughably small HDD, though 250 GB is still really small today.
>>
>>53581859
It's only in Sunnyvale. Definitely check it out if you have the spare time, it's pretty neat. Just a giant warehouse full of used tech.
>>
For $80 that's a ripoff.

That's $40 at most.

The problem is not the CPU (The CPU is actually okay.. okay but not great) but the RAM. DDR2 ram for intel systems is heavily price inflated. If you want another 2GB of ram that could cost another $40.
Might as well not fucking bother.
>>
>>53578693
Definitely stick two more GB of ram in it; you wanna be at 4GB to run Windows Vista onward properly. Test the hard drives, they're probably old.
>>
>>53584388
Read it again. DDR3. This machine uses DDR3.
>>
Pop in an extra 2gb RAM and you got a perfect Facebook machine.
>>
>>53584423
Oh right. I'm stuck in the 775 land of DDR2.

Extra ram should be pretty cheap, but I still wouldn't spend $80 on that system. I'd prefer to get a G1820/cheap 1150 mobo system.
>>
>>53584388
it literally says ddr3, can you read? toss in a 1tb HDD, 2-4gb of RAM and it'd be more than capable as a desktop especially if he ocs that e8400, toss in a used PSU and GPU and it'll run most games fairly well aside from big aaa's
>>
>>53584388
The monitor makes it an okay deal. If he's just gonna do basic shit E8400 should be fine. The RAM and HDD are also fine but can be upgraded cheaply.
>>
>>53584497
Oh there's a monitor too?

I should learn to read.
$80 is good then. Throw in some ram.
>>
>>53578693
looks like an old highschool computer it will run like shit on windows 7 with 2 gb of ram so unless you want it for a linux shitbox it's not a good idea
>>
>>53578916
>>53578852
You can get an HD5570 for like, 25 buckaronis new.
It should easily be able to handle anything up to ~a year or so after skyrim got shat out onto the pc.
You could play dank soles 2 at medium to high settings at 1080p with ~66C at most.
>>
Decent little machines. Get some more ram and a ssd in the future and it's all good.
>>
>>53578729
get the hp.
bigger hdd.
the ram is the same speed brah.
>>
>>53579327
you can't with the prebuilts.
>>
>>53584663
why not when the CPU supports it?
>>
I can get these things for £30 ($41) at one of my local computer fairs, with a 160GB HDD and a choice of the same c2d or a pentium dual-core. Comes with accessories too
>>
You can get a lot better for the same money desu
>>
>>53587678
no way unless you buy used someone just wants to throw away.

The monitor makes it pretty good, though I would never use anything smaller than 1080p now.
>>
>>53578693
I have basically that computer which I picked up for free. Put a q6600 on it and a 750 ti and 8 gigs of ddr2. It runs GTA 5 on 30 fps. Not bad for 40 bucks.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.