[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computing & IT vs. Computer Science Since you all seem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: SmugSkeletonbig.jpg (37 KB, 441x403) Image search: [Google]
SmugSkeletonbig.jpg
37 KB, 441x403
Computing & IT

vs.

Computer Science

Since you all seem to detest degrees and academic initiative, which of these two degrees is the least meme-tier, /g/uys?
>>
IT doesn't help comp sci

do you want to be a mechanic or an engineer?
>>
>>53578439
two completely different things fag.
>>
>>53578533
That's why I fucking said they don't help each other you dumb fucking cuck
>>
>>53578439
Neither.

I want to learn skills that I can apply in roles such as a developer (web, software, whatever-the-fuck), a network admin or a game designer.

While those are 3 things that I've randomly picked, I'm generally interested mainly in programming; and virtually any area of them. I care more about practical skills and implementations than theoretical jargon.
>>
Bumpity bump-a-hump.
>>
>>53578623
go se or computer science and engineering

or just computer science just realize that it'll probably take until your 3rd year before you can take more interesting shit.

i'm cse aiming to be a full stack dev but goddamn I love me some theory desu
>>
>>53581250
The thing is, I'm a giant anxietyfag so Open University (pretty much the official MOOC) is the only option atm, and as far as I can see their course options are quite limited.

I'm taking an online course with edX atm, and I'm thinking I should keep doing something like this until more possibilities open up. Some IT wouldn't be bad, but half a degree's title being dedicated to IT is unnerving.
>>
>>53578399
Systems Administration senpai
>>
>>53581288
well that's a shame on the anxiety mang

you might as well just teach yourself programming stuff then and try to alleviate the anxiety thing. You'll be able to pace yourself and you won't have to deal with a lot of the BS like busywork and non-major classes that you'll have to take.

Take my words with a grain of salt though, I'm at uni so this isn't firsthand
>>
>>53581353
Certification from MOOC courses isn't a waste either, right? It's *something* to put on a CV.

I've been learning C since December. Started CS50x two weeks ago. Started looking for OU courses today and could only find Computing & IT on the website. Could be more though.

The online courses are quite comfy, and seemingly, even if it costs some money, it looks like it's worth it to at least get to a "better than nothing" state of employability, right?

Unless I'm just being naively optimistic.
>>
>>53581535
I suppose it couldn't hurt to put it on a resume/cv, it's not like it's a for-profit online university. A lot depends on where the certification is from, if it's some obscure site or something not well-known it won't mean much to an employer. They look more for experience anyway.

If you enjoy the online courses, great. Keep on truckin' there partner, but if you want the best opportunities for yourself, devote time to working and finishing different coding projects and put them on something like github.

Degrees aren't a necessity in this field, but they are helpful in some other ways as it has implications for other skills learned alongside your discipline.

There's a lot of things you can learn for free as well, but the difficulty there is that sometimes it isn't all clear what you should be learning.

This has been helpful for me at least: http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
>>53581617
edX has grown to prominence so I'm going with them. Affiliated with Harvard, MIT etc. I'm gonna check out other courses on Coursera and the other MOOC sites too.

I've heard GitHub is good for that kinda thing. No doubt I'll be putting my projects up on there.

That's very true, the lack of clarity. I just went with C because it appeared that everyone strongly rated it for being the best language for learning about core concepts. Of course, I've had doubts as it's so arcane in many ways, but I settled with the notion that it's best just to continue with learning literally anything of use than fretting over what the most "pristine" route to learning programming is. Just seems counterproductive.

Thanks for the help, anon. I'll stick with self tutoring, online courses and networking for now. Maybe look for Computer Science or CE/SE courses when I'm feeling better (I've been improving anxiety-wise anyways). GitHub is basically an open source software hub, right?
>>
>>53581725
That's pretty much what github is. Put code/projects in repositories, include documentation regarding version control.

You've got the right mindset with sticking with a language. There really is no pristine route.

At some point I'd recommend picking up something like C++ or java. With C/C++/Java you'll have a lot of useful tools at your disposal and will make your chances of employment increase too.

Good luck with the anxiety too. Keep at it anon.
>>
File: csmajors.png (71 KB, 412x433) Image search: [Google]
csmajors.png
71 KB, 412x433
>>53578399
Well. I'm in my freshman year of computer science. I applied to a factory job as a regular machine operator because I'm a poorfag with no parents.

Get interviewed, the guys tell me that the main reason they're interested in me is because my resume says I'm a computer science major. Said it looked very professional compared to all the other candidates.

Talked about hiring me now on factory work while production is hot, and putting me on IT support when production slows down next winter.

>Mfw I have to google and research a shit ton of IT stuff before next winter because my meme degree that I just started on got me hired
>>
File: 1457207958354.jpg (626 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457207958354.jpg
626 KB, 1920x1200
bump
>>
>>53578399
>not EE
>not CE
>not SE
Don't even bother m8
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.