[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer Science vs. Information Systems\ Which is better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1436847362622s.jpg (9 KB, 216x231) Image search: [Google]
1436847362622s.jpg
9 KB, 216x231
Computer Science vs. Information Systems\
Which is better?
>>
You'are mum
>>
>>53578007
thats a picture of my keyboard... its actually a really nice waterproof board.
>>
File: sq.png (8 KB, 504x519) Image search: [Google]
sq.png
8 KB, 504x519
no contest
>>
File: 1456462995316.jpg (441 KB, 650x867) Image search: [Google]
1456462995316.jpg
441 KB, 650x867
meanwhile, in "Information Systems"
>>
Both are pretty fucking awful but you can get some cushy jobs with information systems.
I use to be a Sys admin, basically like being a neet.
>>
>>53578007
Interested in opinions on this as well. About to transfer to a four year from community college, finished calc 2 but don't want to take any more math. Would a bachelors in computer management and information systems (essentially a business degree with some programming and IT classes) be much worse than computer science? I don't want to be a code monkey at all. I'll at least minor in computer science since I took 4 of the 7 classes for it already, but hunching over a computer endlessly writing loops sounds like a path to a gun in my mouth. I'm not even that autistic...
>>
It's hard to give a blanket answer on IS because it varies pretty heavily from uni to uni.
>>
>Not doing an apprenticeship
It's like you don't want to be earnin and learnin
>>
File: Capture2.png (59 KB, 287x231) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
59 KB, 287x231
has anyone tried one of these? not sure if i can import one anyway with australias tightass customs
>>
>>53578087
What is that? A quad tree project?
>>
Whichever one you do you will essentially graduate not knowing how to do anything, so it really doesn't matter.

If you want to work for a giant corporation (the only real reason to pay for a degree) they will both get you in the door as entry level tech support, sys admin, or dev.

You're going to learn more theory and math with the CS degree though, which could help in the long run if you go into dev.

Basically regardless of what you want to do CS will be slightly better.
>>
Guess I will post this here. Is electrical and electronics engineering a better field to study in uni than computer science? It seems like I would enjoy it more but I don't know if it is worth it.
>>
>>53578007
Information Systems is kinda good as far as I've seen and there's always a chance to get a good job at it, at least here in Bananaland...
>>
>>53578998
It's useful for cutting strings off your clothes or other small tasks. It makes your wallet far too bulky and isn't worth it over carrying a small Victorinox single blade. Only have one because it was free if I paid shipping.
>>
>>53578998
I picked up a couple at a gun show for $5 a piece. They're alright if all you need's an occasional box cutter.
>>
>>53581381
EE here. As with CS, little of what you learn is applied on the job. You're going to get a piece of paper that says you're worth hiring and training. If you fancy hardware work, go engineering. If you fancy software, fo CS. Either way you will need a related internship as you study and some references on top. Good luck and vote Trump so the H1Bs don't get the job before you graduate.
>>
>>53578007
Computer Science is for people wanting to do more complex things with computers. Information Systems is pretty much a business degree.
>>
>>53578344

Computer Science != Code Monkey, unless you totally do something wrong on the way to a career.
>>
>>53584167
i really don't get what people are referring to as the difference.
>>53581381
pay scale is nearly identical. job opportunities are also identical.
>>
>>53584167

Take this course to get a feel for what computer science is (at least part of it) and why it is different then being a 'code monkey'. It's free and very awesome:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/build-a-computer

But really it's not like it's a mystery. Computer Science is the Science of computing, computers, computer systems, etc.

Look at the Turing Awards (the nobel prize equivalent for CS) for examples of Computer Science:

http://amturing.acm.org/
>>
>>53584259

Woops, that was meant for

>>53584192
>>53584192
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.