[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OpenBSD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: puf800X689.gif (43 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
puf800X689.gif
43 KB, 500x431
Anyone here use BSD for daily desktop usage? I'm testing it out in a VM right now, but want to here input from actual users.
>>
BSD for desktop is about the same as using Windows for servers.

Don't bother unless you really, really want to prove something.
>>
>>53576502
>OpenBSD
>desktop
why?
>>
OpenBSD is fine for laptops since the group "eats its own dogfood" basically it just means configuring apmd. You just have to be patient with OpenBSD devs to support the latest hardware. By patient I mean they are usually two generations behind cpu's.
>>
I've fallen for a meme.
>>
>>53576608
code correctness, security, the most Unix like experience. I'm guessing you think that there are such a thing as "server OS's" and "Desktop OS's" . Sorry, marketing has corrupted you.
>>
>>53576611
>2 gens behind cpu's
wat nigga?
>>
>>53576608
>why?
Windows baby pls go
>>
>>53576611
>>53576658
bitch please...
OBSD since 4.2

>>53576636
nah, it's fine just see:
>>53576557
>>
>>53576647
Unless something has changed there is not accelerated support (drm) for broadwell/skylake. I think they just got drm for haswell.
>>
>>53576768
>CPU
>drm
pick one
>>
>>53576768
freebsd is the one who's way behind on graphics.

openbsd has broadwell and skylake support.
>>
>>53576820
goalpost moving. It's part of the cpu.
>>
>>53576833
broadwell isn't going to be supported until 5.9 is released. Skylake isn't on the map. Check the errata for 5.9 here: http://www.openbsd.org/59.html

If /g/ is representative of the OpenBSD community I would suggest it's best to skip BSD and install GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53576502
I do
AMA
>>
>>53576841
no, you're just retarded
>>
>>53576997
What DM/WM do you use?

What's your favorite think about BSD that Linux lacks?
>>
>>53577078
typical OpenBSD mouthbreather. See why you should skip that shitty OS.
>>
>>53576502
I run openbsd as main OS on my thinkpad x230.

Its my main non-work system (I have to use windows laptop for work)..

What do you want to know? What have you done so far?
>>
>>53576502
Use linux.
bsd is garbage.
>>
>>53577187
linux is garbage
>>
>>53577098
>What DM/WM do you use?
I use spectrwm

>What's your favorite think about BSD that Linux lacks?
cleanness and documentation.
I mean GNU/Linux is a huge mess compared to *BSD in general.
Integrated crypto is great too, softraid. pf (firewall) is simple to configure. And the package management is dope.
>>
>>53577220
No it isn't
>>
>>53576608
because it's fun and i can
>>
>>53576502
I ran it as a daily driver a year back, on an older toshiba laptop with intel graphics.

Everything worked flawlessly, and I really liked the experience, but updating is too much of a pain.

Debian testing works fine for me now, but this "OpenBSD is bad for the desktop" meme needs to die, it runs just fine on the desktop.
>>
>>53579575
Works so well that you switched. Good review.
>>
>>53579805
he just said updating is a pain

i dont know why he would say that though since all you need is the bsd.rd kernel and sets and reboot
>>
I've been using OpenBSD on my laptops for a year or two, it's great.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.