[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anybody here pick one of these up while the dev discount
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: pixel-c-sky.jpg (104 KB, 1200x820) Image search: [Google]
pixel-c-sky.jpg
104 KB, 1200x820
Did anybody here pick one of these up while the dev discount was going?

Got mine in recently and it's not bad. Decent display, feels solid, and the A4 screen ratio makes it pretty much perfect for reading manga. Runs stock android too so no weird vendor fuckery. Backlight feels a little weird compared to my iPad Air 2 (it "shifts" a little when changing angles while the iPad's stays solid) but it's not bad enough to really be a nuisance.

I just wish Google hadn't been fuckheads with forcing MTP in Android. This thing has a USB 3 capable port but I can't even take full advantage of it because Google has a weird vendetta against USB Mass Storage. Is this fixable via rooting?

Also, what are some good non-botnet tablet-optimized android apps you guys use?
>>
>>53574559
How is screen, I have used samsung galaxy s with an oled screen and now everything else just looks like shit
>>
>>53574603
Its resolution is 2560x1800 (264ppi) so the pixels are pretty tiny, so everything is really sharp. Color looks pretty good too. Only thing I'd knock it for is the backlight, as mentioned in OP.

I've not owned an OLED device before so I can't really compare to that. Most of my displays (save for those on a couple of old laptops) are IPS.
>>
>launched without multiwindow
>that stupid snowflake oddball Back/Home/Overview arrangement
>have to buy the snowflake keyboard cover separately
booooo
>>
>>53574559
How much did you pay for it?

>inb4 "none of your business, christie"
>>
>>53575752
No splitscreen at ship is kind of a bummer, but I don't use keyboards with tablets anyway and the only other android devices I have are a Sony smart TV and an old 1st gen Kindle Fire rooted with Cyanogenmod that sits in the closet gathering dust, so the nonstandard button arrangement doesn't feel strange to me at all.

>>53576104
The dev discount was 25%, so $375.
>>
File: 1337707487680.jpg (22 KB, 200x265) Image search: [Google]
1337707487680.jpg
22 KB, 200x265
>tfw I own a nexus 9 and not a pixel c
>>
>>53576688
I've heard the hardware is near identical between the two. How do they compare?
>>
>>53576732
I've had nothing but problems with my nexus 9.

I obviously don't have the pixel, but I haven't heard anywhere near as much hate as the n9 gets. Lightbleed out the ass, generally slow and laggy, needing to clear cache at least once a week or else its nearly unusable, gets stupid hot, etc. I returned one after having it for like 3 days because it had a dud battery, but every other problem was the same.

The only good thing about it was that I got it at a good discount at best buy due to a price match, was like 100 bucks cheaper than normal.
>>
>>53577015
Ahh yeah, that sounds pretty bad. I've only had the C for a few days now so we'll see if it remains issue-free, but so far it's been smooth. I'm not seeing anything like you're describing.

A number of people had severe touch sensor and wifi issues with the C after initial release but those have since been fixed in software updates.

Google cast to my android TV is kinda shaky but I suspect that's actually the TV's fault. Probably won't use google cast much anyway, airplay through my Apple TV 4 looks and sounds better and is far more stable.
>>
>>53576732
I own both, just got my Pixel C.
The 9 feels nicer in portrait mode but has bigger black bars when watching 16:9 media. The light bar on the Pixel C is comfy AF. Also the speakers on the Pixel C get louder even though they are side firing.
>>
>>53577318
Yeah I think the C was really designed with landscape in mind. It's not bad in portrait, and in fact works well for foreign paper-based media like manga since the ratio is the same as A4 (manga page fits perfectly), but other tablets feel better to use in portrait. I'd say my iPad Air 2 is better as a portrait tablet, but isn't as good as a landscape tablet.

And yeah, the lightbar is a neat touch.
>>
>tfw still rocking a nexus 10
the screen is just too good tbqfwaoyitt
(to be quite frank with all of you in this thread)
>>
>>53578110
What apps do you use on it? Mostly upscaled phone apps or are there tablet-specific apps that you like?
>>
>>53577015
I've got a N9 and experienced none of those issues, well, i did soft brick it when i updated it when i originally got it, but that was sorted out via nexus toolkit.

The only thing i dislike is the lack of support for the Nvidia Chipset from google, it'd be nice if they actually had support for CUDA and OGL 4.4, great for manga, occasional video viewing, and light productivity. Can do with a keyboard for it though.

I kind of think the Pixel C needs a stylus to remain competitive DESU.
>>
>>53574559
What is this? A new type of Android tablet?
>>
Doesn't this shit came with some backwards retarded 3:2 ratio?
>>
>>53580104
It's the first commercially available Android tablet designed and manufactured by Google itself.

>>53580269
It's 1:1.414 (1:√2), which is similar to a sheet of A4 paper. This means two things:

1. In landscape mode, split screen apps will also have a 1:√2 ratio
2. It's well-suited for consuming paper media
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.