[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mbit/s - MB/s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Internet Speed.jpg (167 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Internet Speed.jpg
167 KB, 800x600
The other day my techy friend chastised me when I was telling him how fast my internet would be upgraded to, I told him I would be receiving a 300Mbit/s download speed which meant my internet speed would round out to about 36MB/s he asked how I got that information, I told him that I did the math to which he replied "what, in your head?" It kinda shocked me that I had to explain to him that 8Mbits translates to about 1MB. He didn't believe me and even after I told him there was a calculator he just kinda brushed it off with a "well yeah, they're different types of data".

I still don't think he believes me but I have to second guess myself since I never went to school for that kind of stuff and he was taking IT for about 3 years.

So who's right here /g/? Was I correct in the approximation or does he know something I don't?
>>
A byte is 8 bits
>>
>>53571371
Not always
>>
>>53571385
True.
>>
>>53571371
>>53571385
So who was right then?
>>
>>53571352
He's just being a dick. You are not entirely wrong. But you are a notch more accurate than typical normies
>>
>>53571434
The size of a byte is system dependent, but most common size is 8 bits so your assumption is most likely right.
>>
>>53571434
Historically it was the size required to store a char.

International standard is 8 bits
>>
>>53571486
I figured it would be close since my current speed is 40Mbit/s and my download speed on steam is 4.4MB/s

How do I get the most accurate measurement? I'd like to know how to determine my actual speed
>>
>>53571434
>>53571486
he's just being a smart ass. next time he'll tell you off for calling it Linux instead of Gnu+Linux.
>>
Internet speeds should always be measured in mbps. If your friend doesn't understand that and can't translate that to MB/S in his head, then he's the retard, don't worry OP.
>>
>>53571371
Depends on the context. In my data transport classes they used a bit as the unit of information and bit* as the 1/0 thingy.
>>
>>53571742
I actually believe the opposite. I think it should be measured in KB/s or MB/s. When you're browsing the web and downloading files, your browser is telling you in KB/s or MB/s, but not Kb/s or Mb/s, so what's the point of your internet being rated in a measurement of speed that you don't see in everyday use?
>>
>>53571352
OP you're right, your friend is wrong (and just jealous). Don't worry about him. And quite frankly just because he studied IT for 3 years doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of dumb people who study it and work in the field.

Hell, I went into RadioShack one day to buy an ethernet cable, and the guy behind the counter had NO idea what I was talking about. It was only after describing it to him that it looked like a phone cord and connector but had a wider connector, did his eyes light up and referred to it as a "internet cable".
The expression on my face could not have said "are you fucking kidding me" any clearer. Mind you I applied to work at this store one year prior and got turned down because I didn't have enough "experience".
>>
>>53571434
While an actual byte can be longer than 8 bits, network throughput measurements are almost always done with thinking of 1 byte as only 8 bits.
>>
>>53572532
Here in France we say octet instead of byte, so we know for sure it's 8bits=1octet so it's Ko/, Mo/s, etc.
>>
>>53572617
That's actually pretty clever.
>>
Ok but what about your upload speed ?
>>
>>53571352
>>53571434
Your friend sounds like a retarded hipster
Yes you're right
>>
>>53571532
>How do I get the most accurate measurement?
Test the connection with a server near you, e.g. speedtest.net
>>
>>53571352
I have a retard friend like yours. I don't care if it's bandwidth or not. I use MBps because its easier to directly to compare to other things.
>>
>>53572702
I forget. I think they said 60mbit/s
>>
>>53571352
Since the dawn of computer communications, speeds are measured in bits per second because they were (and still are) mostly serial, that is, bit per bit.

It's just because of tradition we use "bits per second".

USB is serial, Ethernet is serial, SATA is serial... Damn, Dialup is serial...

So if you want to measure in bytes per second, do it, nobody should give a fuck.

As nobody gives a fuck about binary megabytes and decimal megabytes. Nobody.

They keep buying fucking terabyte drives and asking why the size isn't all that in windows.

That's just the way it is, somethings never change.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.