[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was your first job in the field like? >I expected to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: yes-this-still-happens.jpg (374 KB, 1166x624) Image search: [Google]
yes-this-still-happens.jpg
374 KB, 1166x624
What was your first job in the field like?

>I expected to be applying all I have learned and putting my skills to the test, but I basically just run CCleaner a bunch of times and carry computers around
>>
>>53563620
my first "job" in the field was basically when the guy i was working retail for realized i could fix anything he threw at me and put me on front desk lol
>>
>>53563640
whatever works man.

I'm working for a rural, smalltime IT consultant who does the IT for small businesses too small to have their own. I basically just clean up computers while he does the real work.
>>
my first IT-related job was pure trash, I got thrown direct into a giant spaghetti PHP codebase, done by a random (psychotic) contractor some 6+ years ago, and which this large-ish company had used non stop since then for their internal project management.

They had a list of feature requests, first of which was "it's getting slower and slower, fix that"
>>
>>53563781
that sucks. I've pretty much stayed away from the programming side of things entirely, I've dabbled in python but that's about it. Were you at least being paid well?
>>
>>53563620
This picture sums it up. This was me. I loved how the old ladies always ask why their cursor isn't a horse anymore after a fix. Nevermind your computer actually boots now, and you can actually open IE. They want the fucking malware horse back.

God help you if remove that malware desktop icon that used to be there.

Where's the button?
What button?
The button that you use for pictures! You know the one! The button, it's not there anymore!
What did it do?
I used it for pictures!
Where was it?
Over there, it was a button I used for pictures.
To open photos?
No, for pictures! Don't you know anything? You were meant to fix it!
Etc.
Etc.

Fuck. I loved that job.
>>
>>53563620
Im still at it 1 year after college. Code on java for an app that was debeloped like an abomination. At the same time I do level 3 tech support for the end product I code on, its shit when I am deep in my coding zone and a phone call comes through wiht some stupid question. Lastly, I travel around when deployments to train users how to integrate our product into their office process. I dont get paid enough for this shit.
>>
>>53563861
Didnt realize my sausage fingers caused so many typos.
>>
File: 1315457517425.gif (237 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1315457517425.gif
237 KB, 251x251
My first job was at Google and it was pretty good. I'm still working here, 4 years later.
>>
>>53563620
My first job was to make a mobile webapp for one medium sized company.
>>
>>53563620
First job in the field is my current job, but due to the nature of it the role changes every few months.

First "job role" as such was spending 3 months planning and configuring the testing of a trading system infrastructure upgrade. Had no clue what I was doing, still didn't 3 months later.
>>
>>53563781
Nope nope nope. This is why I don't like small-medium businesses. Shit like this.
>>
>>53563843
tfw the modern normie generation will cause the end of tech illiteracy and kill the malware removal industry.
>>
>>53563955
Bullshit on that. There are a few technical kids but the vast majority are complete retards because all they know how to do is fag around on tablets.
>>
>>53563843
That's exactly me right now. One of my boss's clients is a YMCA that's mostly staffed by old ladies, and they're all like that.
>>
>>53563620
>Get hired for documentation and AV scanning , and minimal helpdesk for a MSP
>Main guy and his brother quit and I'm forced to do all their work
>get promoted and a raise and become a sys admin
>>
>>53564007
Yeah, and all that generation's really going to use is tablets. Consumer PC use is tanking, because they're too complicated for these idiots. Even businesses are switching to simpler, tablet or touchscreen based systems, because they're simpler and easier to use (at the cost of efficiency and power, which rustles my jimmies hard).

And there's really no business in fixing tablets. You just throw them out and buy a new one. So repair and malware removal jobs are going away, just not how you'd think.
>>
>>53564178
is being a sysadmin as cushy a job as people say? High salary and underlings do all the real work so you just have to keep an eye on shit and direct them? That's what people in my class tell me
>>
How the fuck do you get a tech job? I've been trying for years.

I've sent out hundreds of applications and they've all gone unanswered. I've even walked into pc repair places begging to work for free because it's a passion and get turned away because they claim "the market is slow and we don't have any work anyways."
>>
>>53565003
Where do you live? And what qualifications do you have? Could make all the difference.
>>
>>53565022
Life long experience with all technology, I love tinkering and learning everything. I'm an expert and totally comfortable with Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. I'm great at setting up and troubleshooting networking issues. I can fix any problem and if I can't solve it immediately I absolutely LOVE working out a problem I've never encountered before.

As for tech work experience, because I can't get employed in a tech position by anybody, I've done my own work putting up ads around my city and occasionally been called to ride over and fix computer issues. In which I've been successful 100%
>>
>>53565136
Any certifications? Cause unfortunately every dumbass who applies says "lifelong experience". You need a way to prove that. If you don't have any certs, get them. CompTia A+ especially.

Also, do you have any work experience? Doesn't have to be tech related. Just work some dumbass job, but work your balls off. Get at least one good reference who will say you're a hard worker. That's one of the best things to have.

And you didn't say, where are you? That really matters. I'm in rural New England, all the smart young people leave for the cities so I have like no real competition around here, everyone in the field is old. Don't expect to get a job in IT in a city, too much competition.
>>
>>53565136
>>53565136
Also troubleshooting isn't as needed as you'd think. Computer work is done by the hour, so if you can't figure it out relatively quickly, it's actually more economical to the customer to just back up and factory reset whatever machine they're using. Problem solving is less important, and time management is more important, than I thought when I started out.
>>
I used to play at an internet cafe with my buddies all the time. The owner also ran a computer repair shop, I got a job doing sales, moved to repair, and worked there for like 5 years and also ended up working for the lan cafe.

I loved it. It helped that I wasn't some fucking faggot sperg who posted on 4chan about MUH BOTNET LOL LINUX ROCKS XD and I could actually communicate with other people, especially LE NORMIES XD just fine
>>
I'll let you know in May.
>>
>>53565442
Well, I got my job fine even though I am just such a sperg. I even went on about linux in the interview, and the guy was impressed. I even told him a couple things he didn't know about ext4. You just have to not be annoying about it.
>>
>>53565353
No shop charges by the hour literally. I used to charge 3-4 hours for a fresh install and data backup, but it took longer than that when you count waiting for transfers, windows update, doing the data restore, etc.
>>
My first job was making RuneScape bots.
I developed pretty extensive knowledge of Java, reverse-engineering, bytecode instruction sets, and even a bit of machine learning.

But I don't know how to put this on a resume... If it was an engineer who would interview me during the hiring process, I'm sure they'd understand, but I would have no idea how to explain to some HR landwhale.
I'd bet they'd give me a funny look like "so you played video games for 5 years?"
>>
>>53565220
>A+
>proof of anything
Not who you're replying to, but those fucking certs ask shit, outdated questions that are more a measure of you memorizing the study books for them than actual knowledge because so many questions will either have multiple answers, the answer will depend on the details of the situation presented, or will be 100%, absolutely wrong.

Certs are garbage and a scam and businesses should be ashamed for using them as any kind of benchmark of knowledge.

Been in tech industry for nearly 20 years, seen "certified" hires come and be the absolutely most tech-stupid people ever because they learned out of a book. Fuck them.
>>
>>53565475
Good luck faggot
>>
>>53565491
Clarification: multiple answers when the test doesn't ask for multiple answers.
>>
File: Snapchat-1124019993150960097.jpg (471 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1124019993150960097.jpg
471 KB, 1080x1920
>>53563620
>first job in the field
It was great. Ended up ditched on the side of the road, waiting for the RTU to locate and secure our vehicle and us. Best part was, they could've literally chosen any time before 2100 or after 0500, but they chose 0230 to engulf our track. My gunner got taken as a POW, while my TC and I were left behind with a guard on our broken vehicle. Good times.
>pic semi-related; our wingman before he abandoned our track.
>>
File: 1454828166384.png (242 KB, 413x461) Image search: [Google]
1454828166384.png
242 KB, 413x461
>>53565495
>mfw I've never even had a job before
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.