[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: 1452988336428.webm (3 MB, 662x350) Image search: [Google]
1452988336428.webm
3 MB, 662x350
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread.
>>
Man, no stupid questions today? Huh.

I installed cyanogenmod 13 because stock was fucking up, and gapps doesn't work I assume because moto g isn't officially supported yet.

Where get apk? I only really want/need AP News and some other shit.
>>
Holy fuck, this video is strange, OP...
>>
I got this CD (not DVD) reader some years ago. It's "Creative Labs" "CD1620E" from around 1997.
Can it be used not plugged on a motherboard? Like, plugged on a PSU, and sound boxes, and play CDs? This would be great!
>>
How do I write a program that can interact with scripts on websites? I want it just to tick boxes and fill out forms, analyse displayed text on the site as well.

Where should I start? Thank you

>>53563414
Isn't F-Droid exactly what you need ?
>>
>>53563511
NOPE.

no way man, the firmware of a cd drive is not capable of this. Just buy some shitty walkman maybe, but this definitely wont work.
>>
>>53563515
Selenium
>>
File: Dvdisaster.png (1 KB, 24x24) Image search: [Google]
Dvdisaster.png
1 KB, 24x24
DVDISASTER: is it possible to show the exact % of errors? How?
>>
>>53562284
I'm trying to find a program for a "front end" for my media collection. I'm dealing with music, movies, and tv shows mostly
I want to be able to stream and view my media from phones, tablets, laptops, and the other desktops in a clean easy manner, as well as be able to stream this to the tv (preferably without a HTPC, something like a Rpi would be fine though)
All of this is stored on my NAS, which is running FreeNAS
I'm currently torn between kodi and plex. I've used kodi before with the Rpi and it's been straightforward and easy, however FreeNAS has support for plex through a plugin.
Any pointers on which to use, any features or redeeming/damning qualities about either?
Just to specify I'm trying to move to having all of the home media on the NAS, using a TV tuner to use the NAS as a dvr, storing the movies, all of the families media, etc.
>>
I have an I5 2500s that needs a mainboard. Any recommendations?
>>
Where's the best place to go for opinions on mice? Both my G500 and G500s have developed crappy left clicks after two years each, and I'd like to try my luck with a different company this time.

My criteria is a button to switch between two different sensitivities and two side buttons. I've got my pick of the litter, but I don't know where to find out which are good and which suck besides falcon's peripherals guide.
>>
>>53563678
perhaps the SS rival, or a mionix
I dont know about the buttons, but both of those are top notch choices
also maybe consider zowie, I've never used but I hear good things
>>
Is making an user with capital letters on my personal linux machine a bad idea? What could go wrong?
>>
>>53563701
I'm actually leaning towards the rival 300 at the moment, but I'd just like more input from others before I commit to something.
>>
Playing The Division and my 290x temp doesn't get any lower than ~85c. Average is 90 or so. I'm running it on a standard 1080p display with all shadow and most other settings turned to low. Wtf is wrong?
>>
What is the optimal number of connections to allow in your torrent client, or does it make no difference? My client is at 200 by default.
>>
>>53563515
Non-free I mean. Aparently AP News has a pay option for some fucking reason.
>>
>>53563562
So all these buttons, plug and display are simply stupid.
>>
Order parts to a new PC on Newegg and Amazon. Everything has come in except the RAM that might come on Wednesday at the latest. Can I boot up this PC just to confirm the BIOS and hardware is working or is it just a waste of my time?
>>
>>53563772
Run a similarly hardware intensive game. Most likely is just software. Check your drivers?
>>
File: clover-158344_640.png (62 KB, 386x640) Image search: [Google]
clover-158344_640.png
62 KB, 386x640
On AppchanX, do the thread watcher forgets the threads after I change my IP address or I restart the PC?
>>
I currently have a 295x2. What are the chances of Polaris or Pascal producing a single GPU that's a decent (~15-20%) upgrade?
>>
>>53564087
I have other games that are graphically intensive that don't run that hot with higher settings than the Division. It's only this game that runs incredibly hot. I understand that my gpu can withstand a lot of heat apparently but how bad is it for me to run it that hot for a couple hours a day?
>>
>>53563730
I'd say go for it, great mouse great sensor
>do it faggot
>>
wifi in manjaro doesnt work.
wifi menu gives me error.
>>
What is the best way to get into programming for a complete beginner?
>>
have a shitty samba server at home that I use for storing my Thai stop motion, documents, and images.

It's an old Lenovo Thinkstation that the IT department at my school donated to me. The specs are not very good but it nice to have a place to back things up, but it's still kind of s shitty setup.

I have $300 left of my tax returns and I was hoping to use it to upgrade it. I'm just not sure what to upgrade, I have no problem with the speed or anything but I am running out of disk space so I'm wondering if would be worth it to spend the $300 on a new mobo and case for the server because the Thinkstation case only has one bay for a hard drive.

I never really purchase PC parts and I'm wondering whats a good budget mobo/case that I can use.
>>
File: taskbar shit 8.1.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
taskbar shit 8.1.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>53563148

can anyone help me with this?
>>
>>53564240
sounds like you have a problem
>>
How safe is SSH?, I'm trying to connect an always-on, low powered machine to compile code from my phone when I'm at school.
>>
>>53564334
right now im downloading ubuntu because it tends to work out of the box. damn arch linux nothing works out of the box.
i installed netctl and dialog but it does detect wifi networks and connect to it but the internet doesnt work.
>>
>>53564364
did you try manually enabling dhcpcd?
also, try refreshing your ip
if that doesn't do it then consult /flt/, they'll be more help
>>
>>53564421
yes i tried disabling and enabling dhcpcd but it didn't do its job. i tried restarting, pacman -Syy -Syu (it gave me a key error though), downloaded iwlwifi-6000g2b-ucode-18.168.6.1 and installed to /lib/firmware but no.
>>
>>53564470
if pacman gave a key error then you may need to follow the process to verify the keys, google it I cant really help much there
godspeed anon
>>
>>53564354
ssh is safe
but it is important to make sure that all the parts are configured correctly
this includes disabling password logins, in favor of key based authentication

>>53564299
How bad is it? You could install the second drive in place of the optical drive, with an adapter.
>>
>>53562284
What in the fuck is this video
>>
File: 468165316.png (37 KB, 738x547) Image search: [Google]
468165316.png
37 KB, 738x547
This is highly video game related:

This is my temperatures under load at the worst spots in The Witcher , IE: Novigrad, certain places with a lot of foliage, a lot of characters. I have my settings put to near max.

My question is: Are these safe temperatures to play this game for extended hours on? Are these temperatures abnormal? I have a SC ACX 2.0 card. No overclocking.
>>
I want to play my playstation on my pc's desktop without any lag. Are there usb/pci capture devices capable of this? I couldn't care less about recording gameplay.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (92 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
92 KB, 1440x1080
Does anyone have this but instead its a gfx card and the caption is 'wah what are we gonna do on the motherboard?'
>>
>>53564551
Thanks m8
>>
>>53564785
Not too bad at all. Its not great for product lifespan, but a modern gfx card can go over 100c and live to tell the tale. Are there any other pcie cards blocking the air intake? or are there any cables in the way of the intake?
>>
File: guts.jpg (900 KB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
guts.jpg
900 KB, 4032x3024
>>53564931
>Are there any other pcie cards blocking the air intake? or are there any cables in the way of the intake?

Here is the inside of my case if that answers your question. I like to think not, but looking at it again: It seems like the harddrives are blocking airflow to a certain degree.
>>
File: 1349056178590.jpg (349 KB, 684x626) Image search: [Google]
1349056178590.jpg
349 KB, 684x626
>>53564892
>>
Is there anyway I can drop a 220 line for a server in my home by myself.
>>
File: 1444298567823.jpg (79 KB, 500x423) Image search: [Google]
1444298567823.jpg
79 KB, 500x423
Best career in technology? About to decide for college - I do very well academically so I'm confident I could take on any major
>>
Do I need to uninstall motherboard graphics drivers to utilize my gpu?
>>
>>53564551
it's not bad it just lacking bays, I didn't think of that actually, thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 1450015032651.jpg (48 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1450015032651.jpg
48 KB, 640x360
>>53565126
>I do very well academically so I'm confident I could take on any major
You're in for an awakening.
>>
>>53564960
nah that looks ok to me, you've got two meaty front fans and one is entirely unobstructed. The underside of the card is unobstructed too.

Im wondering if the top exhaust fans are making the pressure too low inside for the gfx card fan to do its job, but thats just speculation and not my strongest point. You could try disabling them however and taking note of what happens to the temps.
>>
>>53565168
In confident I can face a challenging workload / difficult material - is there something wrong with that?
>>
How would I de-crapify my new duel boot tablet that's coming in the post tomorrow? (CHUWI HI8)
>>
Does someone have the guide on how to remove (as much as possible) the spying bullshit and pack-in useless stuff that comes with Windows 10? getting ready to reformat.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find in-ear headphones that I can use wirelessly and wired?
>>
>>53565188
I unplugged both of them at two different times and tested out the temperatures under load in furmark. The highest temperatures they achieved were the same as before I unplugged one at a time, which was 74c.

Seems to me The Witcher 3 is the only game to even hit remotely near 76-77c and every other game doesn't get close. I find that very odd.
>>
File: 1458360565318.jpg (303 KB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1458360565318.jpg
303 KB, 4032x3024
>>53564785
Maxwell working temperature target is 80ºC, it will downclock after that, maximum temperature until shit starts to get unsafe is 91ºc, fans would only hit 100% usage if it gets close to 90ºC which would be very very very rare to happen.

Try making a custom fan curve with MSI Afterburner or try disabling some fans and see if temperatures improve, aftermarket cooler on those cards dump the hot hair inside the case so you need to feed it cool air and extract the hot air from the top, try disabling the bottom fan first maybe it is preventing the front intakes from pushing air directly to the card.

>>53565139
No, just plug the monitor to the GPU instead of the motherboard, in case you're having troubles go into the bios and select the pcie as primary instead of the igpu.
>>
>>53565392
oh shit I didnt see his bottom fan. Thats probably disrupting airflow to hell.
>>
here's one
I have an Android app that is supposed to open links from a certain website by default. (Clover)
Tried on my Shield with 4.4 and 6.0, it used to work on my old Galaxy Tab.
Anyone know how to help me?
>>
>>53563626
Plex or Emby. KODI is shit compared to either.
Plex and Emby have great casting support, media organization, transcoding, etc.

Fuck KODI.
>>
File: Capture.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>53562284
I'm trying to encrypt my entire disk, which has 2 OS's, but am having trouble.

I do not believe my Windows is on the same drive as the boot drive, because when I boot my computer I get a choice on what OS to start.
Because of that, I'm getting this error in Veracrypt.

Running Windows 7 & Ubuntu Gnome
>>
>>53560893
Here. I've finally fixed the problem since it's odd to get a wooping 20-25gb per day. To my shock, I get 5 MB/s just by idling, so I manually fixed it by disabling the services one by one and found out that Simple TCP/IP and some shit were the causes.

Fuck Windows.
>>
File: adapter-88408_640.jpg (52 KB, 640x378) Image search: [Google]
adapter-88408_640.jpg
52 KB, 640x378
My house received lots of Ethernet cables (inside the walls), but only one is working! Why? How can I discover?
I tested by plugging one side on a router (I tried 2 routers), and the other on my netbook, and then proceeded to pinging Google.
>>
I'm trying to scrape the content of the tables on old navys sizing charts (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/sizeChart.do?cid=3102). Problem I'm running into is that they seem to be tables composed of divs with dynamically loaded javascript content. I've been using BeautifulSoup and python for most my scraping, but obviously that won't work here. I'm looking into selenium and phantomjs but I have no idea after a day of fucking with it how to scrape the dynamically created size charts. I could really use some help or a point in the right direction.Thanks /g/.
>>
Are 1440p monitors worth it? I'm upgrading my monitor and they seem to be all the rage. I use it for usual computer purposes, games and sometimes movies/TV. I was looking at a 1440p/144hz screen.
>>
File: board-564815_640.jpg (141 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
board-564815_640.jpg
141 KB, 640x426
Should I pay to fix LGA775 motherboards? I have at least 2 here.
>>
Can one of you /g/ents answer this one?>>53565331
>>
>>53564071
Are you asking if it's possible or if you should?

I know you can do a power on self test. Just look up a tutorial on how to do it. Though I don't know if you need the RAM installed to do it.
>>
https://www.looksharp.com/organizations/electronic-arts--35/listings/software-engineer-intern-summer-2016

Does this translate into "literal botnet intern"?
>>
>>53565648
To actually run 1440p and fully utilize those 144hz you'll need a pretty beefy GPU

But as it stands, 1440p is becoming the new 1080p. Most of the higher end cards are made with >1080p gaming in mind.
>>
>>53563789
Bump
>>
In Java, I'm trying to make some code for an object of a fixed speed (moves in a straight line in direction "dirMe") to deflect off of a given collision point but I am way too sick and tired right now to figure out a solution.

I tried dirMe = dirMe-Math.atan((xMe-xHit)/(yMe-yHit)); which sort of works but has some pretty strange results.
Variable meanings:
xMe, yMe = x and y of moving object
dirMe = direction of moving object
xHit, yHit = x and y of collision point

It's the last difficult thing I need to do for an already overdue assignment, but I've been letting it get so overdue because I can't figure it out.
>>
>>53562284
That's not how my grandma makes fish.
>>
my motherboard came with USB 3.0 ports. I remember seeing some pins on the mobo saying USB 3.0 but I don't have anything plugged into that. Can I use those USB 3.0 ports even though nothing is plugged?
>>
>>53564214
Fuck it, pulled the trigger. I'll use /g/ as my personal blog to talk about it when I can.
>>
>>53562284
should i get 1150 or 1151
will there be alot 1151 processors next 5-10 years?
>>
I know people say Telegram isn't secure, but if I just want normal chats without Facebook or some other big company's mitts all over my chats, is Telegram secure enough?
>>
>>53565613

There are two possibilities: rats chewed through the cables, or the end connectors are worn down. The latter is much more likely.

Course of action: Take off the outlet cover of a broken cable and give it a light tug. If you end up with a frayed end, call and exterminator and get the house vetted. Do this on both ends.

Next, buy new female ends from home depot. With a pair of wire cutters, clip the end of the ethernet cable, strip the wires, and hook it up using the pinout on the connector. Because of shitty chineese manufacturing they have something like a 10% failure rate, so buy a few extras. Repeat on both ends and test the cable.

If you are looking for an upgrade, buy some cat6e cables, tie them off to the end of the old ethernet cables, and pull them through until you get the new wire all the way through your wall.
>>
>>53566173
I literally just looked up "Telegram privacy" and it said there wasn't data sharing.
>>
>>53566216
There are no rats here, and the cables are new!
>>
>>53566173
Just use whatever software that the UK government is angry at.
If a government is angry at software X, that's an endorsement to use it.
Use whatsapp.
>>
>>53565965
Bump
>>
>>53565623

All of the contents that you're interested in are either integers or integers followed by fraction symbols (32 ½). All the other numbers in this table are either floats or ints separated by no whitespace with letters. Use regular expressions.
>>
They have devices that are inserted in a cow. The probe delivers an electric current which causes the bull to ejaculate. Does such a device exist for human use?
>>
>>53565613
check it if it is crossover or straight through
>>
>>53566253
Yes, but I don't know the name.
>>
>>53566265
Does it makes any difference? How about MDI-X?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-dependent_interface
>>
File: 2016-03-19 03.24.28.png (73 KB, 341x643) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-19 03.24.28.png
73 KB, 341x643
How many of these are actually "needed"? Feeling like disabling a bunch, but I don't wanna cripple anything.
>>
I've been using LyX for general writing for some time, and liking it except for a small problem.
When writing stories, I often mostly have very short scenes separated like

[scene]

-º- (Centered)

[scene]

Having blank lines seems to completely fuck up with LyX when I export to any other format, and often results in

[scene]

-º- (Left-aligned)
[scene]

Which is terribly annoying to fix one by one. Is there any way to tell LyX to insert my scene separator directly in the output? Some kind of custom scene separation?
>>
Earlier today, after opening then closing disk cleanup for W7, I decided I wanted to run it after all, so I went to launch it, but it wouldn't launch even after multiple attempts. So I restarted the laptop.

My computer failed to restart. I tried starting it four more times, but each time startup repair launched automatically. I don't appear to have any more boot options, even when mashing F8 on boot.

Is my HDD dead? a few weeks ago ir started randomly shutting down throughout about once every day or two, and a previous /sqt/ thread helped me deduce that it's due to my HDD read speeds dipping to 15mbps semi-routinely, and that speeds of 5-10 mbps causes a shutdown, but I never thought an HDD would die on restart....

tl;dr: attempted to restart laptop. laptop has failed to boot all five times I've tried to boot it since my aforementioned attempt to restart it. said laptop has been shutting down semi-frequently in the past few weeks due to HDD read speeds dipping to 5-10 mbps. is my HDD dead?

just reading and responding to my tl;dr will be ok, since it covers everything pertinent I mentioned in the post otherwise. thanks.
>>
File: first.png (90 KB, 651x450) Image search: [Google]
first.png
90 KB, 651x450
Rate my build. First pic is my general setup, second is the GPU specs. I chose the card based off of logicalincrements and because I have cash. I'm just hoping the power supply will be sufficient because the tower has no indication as to what wattage it is. I otherwise know basically nothing about computers. This will be a Skyrim, porn and 4chan machine.
>>
File: GPU specs.png (76 KB, 902x617) Image search: [Google]
GPU specs.png
76 KB, 902x617
>>53566913
Here's the GPU specs.
>>
>>53562284
>want nas for transfering massive amounts of pictures and music
>want ability to restrict what computers can access
>want to have it just work on client computers without installing anything
>what do
Is there a nas server that works with a web browser?
>>
>>53563511
Im sure you can, Ive seen videos of it done.
Post a picture of the back, and the labels of the pinouts.
Most of the ones like that have dedicated pins for audio out left and right.
>>
In a closed loop, do you need to change the water every now and then? For example the H80i I am getting.
>>
>>53564580
Its how to survive in the wild when you are rving.
>>
thunderbolt 3 vs pci for an egpu?
>>
Does this seem like a smart purchase for a home lab to train for / understand the CCNA?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/sys/5477969927.html
>>
>>53566913
It'll definitely run skyrim. And while you're saving some time and hassle by buying that prebuilt tower, do understand that you'll be unplugging and replugging virtually everything from the motheboard when you switch PSUs. You're fine on the wattage though.
>>
>>53562284
>Buck Angel makes spaghetti
>>
>>53567044
Oh thank god. Yeah the standard box per the manufacturer site only comes with up to 500w and no way in hell I'm gambling on that. When I plug in the new graphics card/PSU, will I need to do anything else, or would I need to to online and install software or something?
>>
Is the verge still appel biased?

>>53563414
I have a moto /g/ 2013. You flash gapps the same way you flashed CM, nigger.

opengapps.org
>>
>>53567138
>>53563414
>Where get apk?

apkleecher.com
>>
File: 1333078397451.png (43 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
1333078397451.png
43 KB, 209x193
VLC doesn't play the last few frames of video files. What's a good alternative that doesn't have this issue?
>>
>>53567256

"kawaii codec pack" is mpc-hc + a ton of other shit to optimize video pkayback and etc., so I'd recommend getting on that. it's what I use.

but I'm a fuccboi who doesn't know shit about anything. bur I do know that KCP allows me to flawlessly watch 1080p video on my laptop when stock MPC-HC doesn't, so KCP is good shit. you should get on that, imo.
>>
>>53567098
I'm assuming everything the tower needs is preinstalled. Including mobo drivers and what not. You will have to install the latest graphics card drivers which you'll find on the nvidia website. It's pretty self explanatory. If the card comes with a disc that has drivers in it, don't bother with it because those drivers are outdated.
>>
I know someone that wants to use their flash drive as a way to put secure information, such as passwords, on it and secure it behind some type of password system or encryption from that specific flash drive. Is there any program or software that is recommend for that kind of thing? It would mostly be used on a Windows 7 computer if that matters any.
>>
>>53567311

truecrypt

(however, it stopped being updated a long time ago. but I believe it is secure. I remember even seeing an article state that the latest version released on the official site was secure and contained no backdoors, thus putting an end to talks of conspiracies and etc pertaining to its abandonment)
>>
>>53567311
If you want just password protection, use keypass.
It's exactly what that person is looking for.
You should use it yourself to be honest.
>>
>>53567365
>>53567311
Keypass and keep it stored in dropbox, as it encrypts everything.
>>
File: mpv.png (10 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
mpv.png
10 KB, 128x128
Is there any perceivable difference between lanczossharp and nnedi3 or is it just autiso maximo placebo?
>>
>>53567382
Keep a backup elsewhere, don't rely on the one in dropbox. Uploading encrypted things to dropbox is fine, but you risk losing access to the file so keep local backups.
>>
>>53567333
I'll keep this one in mind. Thank you.

>>53567365
>>53567382
>>53567399
I looked it up and I found "KeePass" and "KeePassX" as results. Is there a difference between the two I should consider?
>>
>>53567311
Not this guy, but is apple's encryption any good? I just encrypted my laptop and a couple flash drives and was wondering.

Also, I just erased an old hard drive 14 times using disk utility. Is that enough to make the data unrecoverable or does it need more passes?
>>
>>53563940
no, the drive can play audio cds on its own. only audio cds.
plug in dc and a headphone and put in a audio disc, then push play.
>>
File: 119.98€.jpg (770 KB, 1200x1171) Image search: [Google]
119.98€.jpg
770 KB, 1200x1171
hey guys, do you know any decent precision bits set that i can buy? i want something similar to pic related but not that pricey (max 40€)
>>
>>53563623
count the operations and the errors. divide errors by operations then multiply it by 100.
display that number. your welcome.
>>
>>53562284
>ocean fish
>in the river
hahaha
>>
my win xp pc say some system 32 file is corrupt and wont boot what do
>>
File: 1458064241281.jpg (14 KB, 255x270) Image search: [Google]
1458064241281.jpg
14 KB, 255x270
Best resource, book or otherwise, to learn Python?
>>
>>53567588
the hard disk is probably so old if you're still running xp that it died.
so buy a new one and reinstall.
>>
Hi guys. I'm new to this computer building thing. I already have my system up and running. Using stock gpu at the moment not really into PC gaming yet. My problem is my that on my PC it only says that my HDD only has 200+GB but I bought a 500GB HDD. What do. Also, there was a thunderstorm and I had a blackout while using my computer. When I reboot it everything loads up slower than usual but after a few minutes all is good again. What do
>>
>>53563511
Yes. The CD drives with dedicated playback control buttons do support playback of Audio CDs. They might also play Video CDs. I have done that years ago.
>>
I'm retarded please help me. Programming in C++.

So I have an expression, say 1 + 2 - 3 / 4 - 5, or some shit. I put it in a string variable (string s = "1 + 2 - 3 / 4 - 5" ) and I want to check if the expression is numeric. I've been thinking about this forever but I'm literally retarded. I think I'm supposed to parse the expression, loop through it, and ignore the operators, but I'm stuck. I've tried isdigit() but I'm working with strings, not chars. I need some tips, please.
>>
>>53567688
I'd check with regex and look for non supported characters.
but then you'd still have to consider someone using "1 -+/ 2".

If you want more complex stuff I'd just use a library that does this already.
>>
>>53567688
go through every char and try matching it with any item in a list containing numbers 0 to 9 and operators like +,- etc.?
>>
>>53563494
>>53564580
>>53565998
Speed cooking from moon tv, best show ever
>>
Is there some way to find what settings in Win7 I've changed away from the default? Because over the few years I've had this installation, things are starting to work less awesome than before.

Also, bloat. Any way to fix that, short of a fresh install? A freshly installed and updated Win7 install is way smaller than my 5 year old one.
>>
Windows 10.
I want to disable some autostarting services, but the buttons are greyed out.

I took ownership of svchost but it still won't let me disable autostart.
Ideas?
>>
how to [email protected]
>>
Which build is better?

Intel:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mrwGX
AMD:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LwcysY
>>
Hey, dunno if this is the right place, but as of 3 days ago, I started having issues with my computer, where it would instant reboot randomly, without giving any error messages. I'm not that tech savvy, but I checked the temps, which were all okay, so its not overheating, I also updated drivers and checked for virae/malware, which has all been cleaned out AFAIK. I'm really at a loss, any ideas?
>>
File: cassette+tape.jpg (33 KB, 630x400) Image search: [Google]
cassette+tape.jpg
33 KB, 630x400
Can pic related be used to store data like in flash drive?
>>
>>53568341
Well, it can store data, but not like a thumb drive. This is how we used to load programs before floppies were a thing.
>>
File: petcass.jpg (130 KB, 1258x785) Image search: [Google]
petcass.jpg
130 KB, 1258x785
>>53568341
What do you think we used before floppies became affordable?
>>
>>53568094
Go with R9 390 in either case.
As for CPU: Intel's will probably give you better performance in games, but 2 cores (even with hyperthreading) is a bit too few for modern standards.
I'd say go with AMD, or browse for Intel 4-core CPUs, maybe you'll find something.

And AMD needs a cooler much more than Intel, just fyi.

>>53568120
My bet is on overheating. Check again.
Maybe see if perhaps you have low temps set as "overheating" in bios?
>>
>>53568341
You can, it's just not practical.
You can get like 2 MB tops.
But if it's the durability you're looking for then go for it.
>>
>>53568094

Better yet, get this:
>>53568305
>>
What exactly makes intel cpus better then amd? From what I see amd tends to have higher clock speed then intel chips, what am I missing?
>>
>>53568586
Intel has more money to pay for shills.
>>
>>53568586
intel chips have more calculations/instructions per cycle.
so a lower clocked intel cpu can outperform a higher clocked amd cpu.
>>
>>53568586
Clock speed means nothing when comparing different architecture.

Imagine comparing a 60w incandesent bulb to a 8w led light. "Its got 60w it must be better" is is the same as thinking "its got 4 Ghz it must be faster than 3Ghz". Even in the same AMD CPU, a 3Ghz 8350 vs a 4 Ghz Sempron wouldn't say anything.

What makes something faster than another is comparison of thirdparty benchmarks. Intel CPU can read instructions faster than AMD. For programs that only operate on single or dual thread, this is a good advantage. However with multi-threading, they equal out.

>Single thread
Imagine counting 1-100. Lets say Intel can count 1-100 in 50 seconds. AMD can count in 100 seconds.

>Two thread
thread one counts 1-100 (even)
thread two counts 1-100 (odd)

intel can count in 30 seconds
amd can count in 50 seconds

>8 thread
each thread counts 8 numbers

intel counts it in 10 seconds
amd counts it in 11 seconds

etc there is a diminishing return, but overall multithreaded programs makes things equal.

Now if you overclock intel 3ghz to 3.5, it becomes slightly faster than 3ghz. Same with AMD 3.5 to 4Ghz.
>>
In Java, how can I cleanly make variable x into a multiplier of 1 if x is positive, and -1 if x is negative?

Math.abs(x)/x almost works, but sometimes x is infinity and Java is shit so if that happens things go wrong badly.
>>
>>53567892
Disable them in registry. Also if those are greyed out then you probably need them.
>>
>>53568622
>>53568708
Thanks
>>
>>53568708
Thats borderline bullshit. This only applies to problems that can _perfectly_ multithreaded. Each added core increases the time spent on synchronizing the results, which means there are quickly diminishing returns. Or to put it differently, one core with 1k instructions per second is most certainly better that 1.1k cores with 1 instructions per second. And even with 8 vs 4 cores, the 4 cores will win in many szenarios.
>>
>>53568847
see >>53568708
>etc there is a diminishing return, but overall multithreaded programs makes things equal.
>>
>>53568736
x=x>0?1:-1;
>>
>>53568858
The point is, the diminishing returns make things NOT equal overall
>>
>>53568736
Are you maybe looking for Math.signum()?
>>
What's a good cheap tablet /g/?
>>
So my friend asked me to recommend him a new GPU, I want to recommend him an AMD one, but he's a Nvidia shill. How do I convince him that he's wrong?
>>
>>53568858
There even is a quite easy to understand comparison why this is the case. GPUs are specifically created for massively parallel workloads. I.e. each pixel in a 3d graphic can be calculated independently of another. Yet there are very few problems in general coputer usage that can be sensibly mapped onto those parallel general purpose cores.
>>
I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I do web development and machine learning. I don't need something to run heavy calculations on. Needs to be Unix based. Needs to be light and sturdy, battery should last me ages. I don't want to have to install my own distro and then have it die for no reason. I don't want to have shitty driver support. Which apple product would be the best choice for me?
>>
>>53568971
the one that fits your budget.
>>
>>53568774
Ooh. It's doable through registry!
Thanks.
>>
File: DSC_0271.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0271.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Do I'm currently installing an Asus geforce gtx 980 which came with pic related.

My PSU doesn't have an 8 pin socket so I need to use this. My question is do you need to plug two 6 pin connectors into the converter or just one?
>>
>>53569012
I could buy a 13' pro retina or an airbook or a regular macbook. They are all options.
>>
>>53569060
so pick one to your liking, there aren't much choices going apple.
>>
what software can i use to unlock a file that "can't be deleted because it's currently in use"?
using windows 10.
>>
File: LFMH.png (16 KB, 829x127) Image search: [Google]
LFMH.png
16 KB, 829x127
So I saw a popup that stated "Alert! You may need to fix Windows errors". Upon seeing this I knew that something was wrong and so I googled it and came across this
https://malwaretips.com/blogs/alert-you-may-need-to-fix-windows-errors-removal/
I have followed all the steps on there. I ran ADW Cleaner and Junkware removal tool. Upon launching chrome after a bit this extension appears installed
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-downloader-professi/elicpjhcidhpjomhibiffojpinpmmpil/support?hl=en
It has 4.5 stars on there but if you look at the reviews you'll see that they all say the same thing which leads me to believe these are faked reviews.
In any case, if disconnect my ethernet cable the files go away and they stop appearing on ADW and Junk Removal Tool scans. Whenever I connect back onto the internet they show up again. It should be noted that I've also run Malwarebytes multiple times and it didn't even detect the virus. Hitman Pro does detect it.
>>
How do you dualboot? I have ubuntu currently, but am in huge need of Windows still, but I have no CD, no USB, and the only external harddrive I have is filled with files I need, how do I do this without losing files?
>>
>>53569059
what psu?
>>
How do I get a programming job with no degree?

I know how to code in three languages and mess around with unity a lot.
>>
>>53569139
process explorer lets you inspect open files and which program has a lock on it.
>>
File: gjJ7Bkt.png (513 KB, 678x746) Image search: [Google]
gjJ7Bkt.png
513 KB, 678x746
Whenever I move around folders with customized icons in my external HDD , they go back to the default icon. Why does this happen and is there a way to stop it.
>>
>>53569182
Build portfolio
>>
>>53569213

Can you explain this more? I don't understand how to build one and show them.
>>
>>53569225
Show your work. Your projects. Show your documentation of your work. Proof of your work. Where's the source code?

If you have worked on any project, source code it on gitcuck or gitgud or your own personal website..
>>
Go to github find things to contribute to or maybe provide software of your own and maintain it.

Do freelance programming work, craigslist etc

Make your own website
>>
What's a good VPN for my nexus 5?
>>
>>53569225

Make a website dedicated to stuff that you've built
>>
I'm trying to setup a private sort of storage container where I can access it anywhere from my personal computer to say a computer somewhere else, I just want a container not a website or something that would require maintenance
>>
>>53565577
Pretty sure your problem is that VeraCrypt doesn't support UEFI
>>
>>53566944
I was planning on using the P2 plug on the front...
>>
>>53567514
But this anon told me I can't!
>>53563562
>>
>>53569279
>>53569245
>>53569241

Thanks for the tips. Will do.
>>
>>53567539
OK, but there is no way to make the program do this for me?
>>
>>53569178
Sorry for the slow reply,
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PSE-AMB800
That's the PSU.
>>
>>53569225
Have a github.
>>
>>53565577
do you own a laptop and or consumer bought desktop?
if so you have a boot partition not 2 drives
also veracrypt will not support UEFI
>>
>>53566431
probably all of them
disabling some wont even speed the PC up by much so don't bother lol
>>
>>53567665
So, why this type of drive stopped being produced?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-19-23-58-52.png (210 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-19-23-58-52.png
210 KB, 1080x1920
Can someone explain this utter fucking bullshit? I'm barely scraping 10kB/s on torrents with hundreds of seeders.
>>
I checked out dropbox for cloud storage and it's 10 dollars for 1 tb a month or some shit. I only need ~50-100 gb for a few months.

What are my alternatives?
>>
>>53569477
check connection to WIFI
also ISP is probably throttling connections like the fags that they are :^)
>>
>>53569059
>>53569418
I have never had to use a 6 to 8 converter but I am certain that you need to plug both the 6 pins in. Are you completely out of room for 2?
>>
>>53569525
Room for 2 what?
Sorry I'm a complete amature at this
>>
>>53569572
>Room for 2 what?
6 pin cables, aren't you asking about this do to only have room for one?
>>
what site do you use for disposable emails
>>
>>53569607
The GPU has a 8 pin and a 6 pin slot on it
I as far as I can see I've only got 2*6 pin spare, if I can get away with only plugging one 6 pin into the converter it's happy days, otherwise I'll have to get a new PSU
>>
I have a broken Mirage DC07 here. When I turn it on, it blinks the red leds for low battery and turn off.
Should I pay to fix it?
>pic related
>>
Want to migrate my windows 2012 server to Linux. Only use it for a few VMs, FTP, smb and plex.

I have 4x4tb in storage spaces in a striped mirror setup, of which I have a full backup of on separate drives. However backup+data is on NTFS with deduplication enabled.

What filesystem and distribution should I go with? I need it to be retard proof because I know very little about looniks and can't into console, yet.
>>
I'm looking for a stable email provider but that isn't corporate garbage. Any suggestions? inb4 cock.li, no that is not stable
>>
>>53569709
https://protonmail.com/
>>
>>53569650
your going to get a new psu, sorry. A 80+ bronze or silver rated psu is not too expensive right now.
>>
>>53569451
>by much so don't bother lol
>so don't bother lol
hi microsoft
>>
>>53569483
Please help/
>>
>>53562284
So my origin account got hacked, the password was not something you could guess, so I think I have a keylogger - I've put tinywall on autolearn mode and nothing stuck out, how do I tell if I've got malware
>>
>>53569774
try a virus scan
>>
>>53569774
so svchost is making a connection to an ip belonging to my ISP is this normal?
>>53569799
tried scanning with kapersky avast avg mse and malware bytes so far, nothing detected
>>
>>53569774
scan for malware
>>
>>53569721
>500MB storage
this is going to run out very soon...
>>
>>53569681
Do you have an emotional attachment to it? I don't know what the shopping situation is like in Brazil, but I'd think you'd be better off just tossing it and getting a new camera.
>>
I don't know if it warrants it's own thread
>>/53569792/
tl:dr; what email service should you use for serious stuff with your real name, and what email service should you use for things you don't want your real name attached to?
>>
>>53569293
pls respond
>>
>>53569868
gmail
cock.li
>>
I have two questions that I can't get a straight answer for:

If I image my current SSD onto a bigger SSD, should I be able to 'just plug it in' in place of the original drive?

I want to upgrade my GPU from a GTX 660Ti to something much, much beefier. Would I need to get a new motherboard to support it?
>>
>>53569820
I don't have emotional attachment to objects.
>>
File: torrent-35656_1280.png (346 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
torrent-35656_1280.png
346 KB, 1280x1280
I'm planning into paying US$5/year for the adless uTorrent client, because I prefer an adless version at the same time I think it's fair to pay for the development of this software I use since so long time.

But, there is a good reason not to do that?
>>
>>53569978
Uhh, no? Just get a real torrent client.
>>
>>53569985
Why do you think this isn't a real client?
>>
>>53569998
because it includes ads when there are other better torrent clients out there that aren't shady and require you to view ads
>>
>>53569998
>give us money to remove the adds

Are you stupid?
>>
>>53569978
>literally paying to be part of the botnet
>>
>>53570008
>better clients
Why are they better?

>aren't shady
You mean, they are open source?
>>
>>53570017
>>53570011
Probably trolling
>>
>>53569978
Use qBittorrent if you're under windows, rTorrent if you're under linux ... both are free and adless.
>>
best external thunderbolt drive?
>>
>>53570049
>qBittorrent
>Supports IPv6, but cannot use both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QBittorrent

This isn't good. uTorrent does not have thgis problem.
>>
>>53570038
https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-quietly-installs-riskware-bitcoin-miner-users-report-150306/
This is the company you're considering giving money to
>>
>>53570077
I used deluge but then I switched to transmission
>>
>>53570088
I know this. They already removed this bundleware a few days later.
>>
>>53570088
I'm not giving money to anyone w
>>
>>53570099
>oh well they removed it after they got caught, that means they're still trustworthy
>>
>>53570090
Transmission does not support tags/labels.
Deluge does not support uTP: https://torrentfreak.com/top-10-utorrent-alternatives-120819/
>>
File: groans.gif (2 MB, 291x244) Image search: [Google]
groans.gif
2 MB, 291x244
Can an arch linux user help me out?

Are there some known systemwide compatibility issues TLS/SSL?

I compiled https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/icecat/ from the AUR and when I start run it with any settings or even the default profile I cannot load some images because of a Secure Connection Failed error.

"An error occurred during a connection to x.x.x. Peer attempted old style (potentially vulnerable) handshake. (Error code: ssl_error_unsafe_negotiation)"

No matter how I change the security settings in about:config nothing seems to change.

When I use standard firefox or chrome it works.

Also, when I copy my icecat folder to my laptop running the same OS and same version of icecat it magically works.
>>
What's the best tampermonkey script to skip referral links like adfly?
>>
>>53563511
if it's as pictures, with at least eject/play/skip buttons, and a headphone jack, you can
i used to do that many years ago, i hooked one up in a car so i could listen to cd's with my headphones (as a kid, not driving with headphones, of course, if i was driving i could have added a fake tape to connect it to the car stereo)
>>
>>53570133
IIRC icecat doesn't let you use old ssl because its insecure
>>
>>53569471
MP3. That's why.
>>
>>53570202
why does it work on my laptop then? I don't understand
>>
>>53570115
They said that was one ad service, not themselves, who added.
>>
>>53569471
because it was only really beneficial before everyone got sound cards
if you didn't have a soundcard, this feature could be used to listen to audio cd's and hear at least ingame music (if the game used cd audio)
ever since soundcards became ubiquitous, the feature went unused, people hooked their speakers up to the motherboard/soundcard instead, which could have the sound passed through (you'll notice a 4 pin connector on the back, this is connected to the soundcard to pass through cd audio)
>>
>>53570200
should be noted they're not idea for in-car use, as these drives often don't have antiskip functionality, a portable cd player with antiskip would be a better choice
>>
>>53570200
How you hooked it on the car?
>>
Should I get a laptop or chromebook? Would just be for web browsing, streaming, watching media and torrenting.
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 640x1136
Good deal / shitty deal?
>>
File: 1457312418753.jpg (49 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1457312418753.jpg
49 KB, 500x367
How do I go from being a self-taught web >developer

to actual programming? My skill set is comprised
of php, server js client js, SQL and OOP. I'm not asking
for an elaborate list of things I need to know, I just want
to know where to start.

That's how I got interested in writing code in the first place
anyway, I jsut wanted to make a web page then make it
dynamic, db driven, and eventually async so I just looked
up what I need to do and tried doing it.

Can I teach myself programming that way or do I need
to spend lots and lots of time reading books first?

Just a single thing I need to do to get started. I have a
feeling it's C, but I don't know what to do with it. What
useful non-autistic software can I write in C to get started?
>>
File: a.png (38 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
a.png
38 KB, 640x400
>>53570331
you just need 12v and 5v, 12v was taken directly from the lighter socket, and 5v was with some kind of 12v > 5v regulator i had (i think it was a car cellphone charger i used, these days you can get car usb adapters literally anywhere almost for free, usb is 5v)
>>
Does this look like a smart purchase in creating a lab / studying for the CCNA?

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/sys/5477969927.html
>>
>>53570443
Horrible deal. With that money could buy 2TB worth of SSD space.
>>
>>53570471
And the current?
>>
>>53570469
Programming is a means to an end
You start when you have a goal in mind and use programming to achieve it.
>>
>>53570532
should be printed on the top label on the cd-rom drive
though it likely uses very little current on the 5v line, and a car provides plenty of power through its lighter socket (over 100w worth)

the 5v charger i used was likely only 500mA or so, usb chargers nowadays are often 1A-2A, i doubt you'll have any trouble with power
>>
Is there any new alternative to gdipp and Mactype on Windows?

I remember these breaking fonts for software such as the Adobe suite and the default font rendering is like asking for trouble
>>
>>53570500
But I am looking at cellphones?
>>
>>53569956
Bump for my question
>>
Dear /sqt/.

At past, I was using Filestube website for video metasearching and viewing without having to visit the sites in question. However, the website stopped providing such services year or so ago.

Are there another metasearch engines for video services that would allow me to do the same?

Thank you for any answer.
>>
>>53570585
OK, but this "plenty of power" wouldn't damage my drive?
>>
>>53570623
no, volts are "pushed" and amps (current) are "pulled"
so you can't have too many amps on the source
if the cdrom only need 1A, and the source is 20A, the drive will only "pull" 1A
it's only when you provide too many volts will you have problems, if you hook a 12v device up to a 24v supply, you will likely damage it
>>
I cannot access WiFi while using Tails.
I've got a Broadcom BCM 4352 Network adapter [14e4:43b1] (rev 03).
What would be the best way to get the necessary driver(s) without an internet connection?
>>
>>53570647
This makes me confused, because my friend, which studies electrical engineering in my city's university, said I could not plug my netbook on the socket of the car...
>>
>>53570670
Are you running it on a virtual machine?
>>
>>53570681
what voltage does the netbook use, though? if it's not 12v then you can't connect it directly (if it expects less, it might be damaged, if it expects more, it won't work/charge)

that said, i imagine the lighter socket isn't a very clean power source, car batteries can be charged up to as much as 16v, i didn't have any trouble with my cdrom drive, but if you're concerned, you could put a regulator on the 12v line to smooth it out to a cleaner 12v
>>
File: map-1189403_640.jpg (32 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
map-1189403_640.jpg
32 KB, 640x426
I'm needing to buy an USB card reader. I need it to read Memory Stick and SD, but should I buy a model that reads also XD? I have one card of this type here... It came on a broken camera my aunt gave me.
>>
can someone for the love of god link me to a functioning win7 activator
>>
>>53570730
My friend didn't know at the time. But it's 19V.

It wouldn't get more energy, but wouldn't it slows down battery discharge?

Why 16V wouldn't damage your CD drive?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.