[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My family has a really shitty and slow Dell Dimension C521 with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: c521.jpg (5 KB, 176x287) Image search: [Google]
c521.jpg
5 KB, 176x287
My family has a really shitty and slow Dell Dimension C521 with Win XP. I want to get them something slightly better also move to Windows 7 or 10.

I thought about upgrading it from 2GB to its maximum of 4 GB RAM and also putting in an SSD and installing Win 7, but is that worth it?

maybe I'd be better looking for something refurbished or used?

Are there any /g/ recommended cheap as shit desktops?

I don't really want to spend more than £100.
>>
>>53561001
Refurbished sandy bridge or lynnfield pre-built goes for around 250 aud.

Not sure about euro, but it's still a pretty good deal.
Should come with windows 7 too.
>>
>>53561042
>Refurbished sandy bridge or lynnfield pre-built goes for around 250 aud.
thanks am checking those out
>>
>>53561001
> upgrading it from 2GB to its maximum of 4 GB RAM and also putting in an SSD and installing Win 7, but is that worth it?

As someone who has done exactly this with this same PC (I installed a 32gb SSD since it was a low-use browsing PC), I can tell you that it does work out pretty good. Though, the real question is, what do you want to do with it?

If it's the same shit as before but just better, then yeah, all that shit will make it a nice performer for little expense. Saves you the trouble of looking for a new PC and figuring out what to do with your old PC, that's for sure.
>>
>>53561001
Never ever ever buy computers for other people. If anything at all goes wrong, it will be seen as your fault and you will have to fix it. Forever.
>>
>>53564673
Not all users are like this. If you emphasise that your time is valuable and that you are not going to be their personal tech support from the start, then they should understand.
>>
>>53561001
I would recommend not putting them on Win10. Linux or Win7 would be best.

If you decide to go with 7, you will want to disable the Win10 ads through the registry. If you are not comfortable with doing that I have a script that will do it for you.

tempsend dot com 3448873059
>>
File: PICT0916.jpg (149 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
PICT0916.jpg
149 KB, 640x480
>>53562598
Pic related; the upgrades I installed on my C521. While I am a big proponent about reusing items and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I would understand if you wanted something newer. Just don't expect it to be a huge boost if you aren't doing anything serious with it.

Going by strict cost-basis, upgrading the thing is worth it. Performance-wise, it's still an Athalon Dual core, nothing will change that. Still, Windows 7 and SSDs make anything and everything much better.
>>
File: PICT0920.jpg (184 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
PICT0920.jpg
184 KB, 480x640
>>53565596
These old pics don't show the Wifi card I installed on it. Finding low-profile expansion cards is kind of a hassle but I managed it. All in all, it makes for a fine and fast living room and browsing PC. It's better than ever, I just know better to not game on the thing.
>>
>>53561001
install windows 7 if you're going to pirate it. As casual as I'd assume your family is, I'd think they'd actually be confused by Win10 if they've had XP this entire time

but if you're actually going to pay money for Windows 7 OEM, you might as well just buy a retail copy of Windows 10 so you can at least re-use it when the mobo dies.
>>
just build a new PC for em. $400, something like an i3 and some shit GPU (anything from the amd line) and an ssd, small case, PSU, 8gb RAM, done.
>>
Skip windows, skip common Linux distros, and install one of those third party ChromeOS ISOs. Botnet yo family!
>>
More RAM and an SSD will work magic on it.
>>
>>53565670
i3 is total overkill. If OP replaces this it should be with a used prebuilt from sandy bridge onwards.
$100 maybe and it'd be a million times better.
>>
>>53567364
joking aside. For people who want their parents/grandparents to have an easy time and secure machine to use for casual use, the chromebook/chromeOS is a solid option. Buy em, set em up, convince parents that it just looks different. Email, Youtube, facebook, and Ebay are all the same as before, and they're on their way. No more 50 calls a week for stupid shit.

Granted this is assuming they don't do stuff with Skype or Windows reliant programs.
>>
I'd say if the motherboard will allow the extra RAM upgrade, go for it. But if you're looking to spend no more than a hundred quid you could easily buy a refurb that'll do the job nicely if you find that you're bottlenecked at 2GB with your current board. Hope this helps
>>
>>53562598
>>53565596
THANKS, that's just the reassurance I need. I think I will do that. Literally they only need it for browsing the web and watching online videos. And storing a shit ton of photos, so I'll need a bigger SSD than that. Probably 128 GB or 256 GB.

>>53564673
I already have to fix everything since forever.

>>53564902
will put Win7, did try them with Linux once but it ended up more hassle than it was worth.

>>53565655
I was probably gonna buy it..
>>
>>53569210
Go with Windows 10 retail version instead because that Win7 is only going to work on one mobo.

After updating (there's a major update that resets a bunch of your settings), use metered connection to stop automatic updates, fix up the privacy settings, and if you're that paranoid, set up some other shit to block telemetry for sure.

If Microsoft really sticks with Win10 for a long time, then at least you won't have to worry about buying a new OEM copy a few years down the line when you have to change the mobo.

Everyone's hating on WIndows 10, but people will be transferring anyways while it's free and just set up precautions since Win7 is a sinking ship (then again, you'll replace your mobo by the time Win7 loses support anyways so there's that).
>>
For real just send out a mass email to local offices or libraries asking if anyone has any old desktops they want to get rid of. Most do
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.