[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >mpv still hasn't become the default GNU/Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: largeVLC.png (83 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
largeVLC.png
83 KB, 300x300
>2016
>mpv still hasn't become the default GNU/Linux media player

What went wrong?
>>
what do you mean by default? if you mean the most popular, then obviously because it's not as normie-friendly as vlc
>>
>falling for the mpv meme
>>
>>53560429
>i don't like it so it's a meme
>>
Even in the Linux world vast number of people are not comfortable with plaintext conf file configuration for their media player and prefer a GUI.

Very Large Cone has been there since 2001.
15 fucking years of being familiar with a piece of software despite the fact it's quality was more than questionable most of the time it's been around.

Not to mention it's multiplatform and is popular both on windows and linux.
>>
There's no intuitive GUI like VLC. Somebody needs to fork it and put a GUI on top.
>>
File: img-1.png (275 KB, 939x525) Image search: [Google]
img-1.png
275 KB, 939x525
>>53560477
baka
>>
>>53560477
There is a Bomi frontend for MPV, but its dev has been MIA for almost a year.

https://github.com/xylosper/bomi
>>
>>53560399
What do normies do other than double-clicking video files?
>>
Does this run on Windows ME?
>>
who the fuck uses gpu
f for full screen or double click
space for pause

it's the same in EVERY PLAYER
WHAT THE FUCK ELSE DO YOU USE
>>
>>53560971
>gpu
pls don't meme me
>>
>>53560731
>>53560971
What normies take for granted in a media player beyond what mpv's OSD offers
>playlist
>volume that you control with a mouse
I've yet to find a normalfag who knew any keyboard shortcut beyond ctrl+x/c/v and MAYBE alt+f4 to feel like haxxor from time to time.

Are you really expecting them to remember 9/0 for volume which they're very likely to missclick and "oppress" them with the scary white letters forming "saturation: 1" right on their screen when they obviously never asked for this? Or questions why isn't it +/-?

You all pretend to be so fucking smart but have troubles understanding that there are quite a lot of dumb fucking people who have less experience with technology (even consumer one like a computer) than you are with female vaginas.
>>
>>53561075
>female vaginas
>>
>>53560731
>change volume
>change subtitles
>change audio track
>load external subtitles
>use screen capture
>slow down/speed up video
>change aspect ratio on movies that have been incorrectly adjusted
>resync poorly synced subtitles
>have a playlist
>etc. etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>53561075
>playlist
MPV has playlists.
>volume that you control with a mouse
Handled by the OS. Most people have dedicated keyboard buttons for this, and if not their OS certainly has mouse-driven controls.

People almost always play only one audio source at a time, so there really isn't a real need for application-specific controls.
>>
>>53561098
Well obviously your rubber toy with a hole for your peepee wouldn't count mate.
>>
>>53561106
>change subtitles
Built into the MPV OSD.
>change audio track
Ditto.

MPV offers everything else, but not with a GUI.

And you are dramatically overestimating normies. Most of them wouldn't even know you CAN load external subtitles or fix a broken aspect ratio.
>>
>>53560477
The basic frontend is ok, but the process to change settings is absolutely atrocious. Worst design I've ever used.
>>
>>53561142
>so there really isn't a real need for application-specific controls.
i sort of agree, but sometimes one application may require an exceptionally high volume while another may require an exceptionally low one. in such a case it's easier to set the volume on an application basis, instead of having to adjust the system volume every time you switch between the applications

this has nothing to do with mpv though
>>
>>53560477
Smplayer can use mpv.....
>>
>>53561142
>>playlist
>MPV has playlists.
Not the kind of tech inept people expect which looks like an actual list from the top to down with bright letters and with all elements listed after a number.

>Handled by the OS. Most people have dedicated keyboard buttons for this, and if not their OS certainly has mouse-driven controls.
Stop making shitty excuses to fit your agenda mate.

I know you're terribly proud of your first Linux installation and now when you've done it it actually doesn't seem that hard.
I felt the same way.

People are stupid.
People don't want your minimal player.
There's a thing called choice.

You're behaving like a militant muslim.
>>
>>53561148
it's not that, i just thought it was funny you had to include the word "female", as if non-female vaginas exist
>>
>>53561171

I don't have an external dac with a volume knob. I change my volume with the mouse wheel. mpv kills me for not having this.
>>
>>53561206
>Stop making shitty excuses to fit your agenda mate.
It's true. Not having on-screen volume controls was a deliberate design decision. The developers reasoned that volume can (and should) be handled by the OS, so they avoided cluttering the OSC. The OSC was designed to contain only simple and vital controls.

>There's a thing called choice.
Then they can use any of the numerous mpv front-ends. Or they can use mplayer2 with any of its front-ends. There is a huge degree of choice. The default mpv OSC does not have GUI volume controls. Nothing is stopping people from using a player that does.

Your argument is just ridiculous.
>>
File: Capture.png (99 KB, 1178x819) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
99 KB, 1178x819
Asking here in this media player thread since there's no /sqt/ up, pic related. Which is better quality? I don't really know about video codecs and such.
>>
>>53561258
There are numerous front-ends you could use instead.

And if you want to adjust the volume with your mouse wheel, your OS probably lets you do that.
>>
>>53560383
>default GNU/Linux media player
What the fuck, newfag?
>>
>>53561256
You pretty much are one
>>
>>53561321
>Not having on-screen volume controls was a deliberate design decision. The developers reasoned that volume can (and should) be handled by the OS, so they avoided cluttering the OSC. The OSC was designed to contain only simple and vital controls.
Yeah, a decision fit for users who don't call their display "the computer".
Doesn't apply for the remaining 6 billions of human beings living on this planet.

>Then they can use any of the numerous mpv front-ends. Or they can use mplayer2 with any of its front-ends. There is a huge degree of choice. The default mpv OSC does not have GUI volume controls. Nothing is stopping people from using a player that does.
So your solution to making mpv a normie player is making them compile your halfassed graphical frontends that don't work half the time?

>Your argument is just ridiculous.
Look who's talking
>>
>>53561332
Probably the one on the right. The bitrate is higher. They'll be very similar, though, and bitrate is not a good indication of quality. Bitrate depends on both the quality of the video and how efficiently it was encoded. A low bitrate can look just as good as a high one if the low bitrate one is well encoded.

With h264, what you really care about is crf. That is a simple indication of quality. It is not listed there. It's probably listed on the web page you got the files from.
>>
>>53561332
for the same resolution/framerate the right one has a higher bitrate of the video stream while audio stream is the same.

I'm guessing the right one.
>>
File: VLC.Master.Race.png (523 KB, 890x604) Image search: [Google]
VLC.Master.Race.png
523 KB, 890x604
>>53560383
>mpv
hahaha lol wow
>>
File: 1439714995111.png (80 KB, 1211x511) Image search: [Google]
1439714995111.png
80 KB, 1211x511
>>53560477
>he doesn't know how to configure smplayer with mpv
>>
>>53561451
>the walking pleb
lyl
>>
File: typical vlc user.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
typical vlc user.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>typical vlc user
>>
>>53561484
That file is incomplete and he just paid for a recovery company.
>>
mpv, despite being stable as fuck is still in alpha, it undergoes rapid change all the time
>>
>>53561388
>Yeah, a decision fit for users who don't call their display "the computer".
No. It's the best decision for everyone. Physical volume buttons are by far the more user-friendly way of handling volume controls. Keeping track of one volume setting using one set of controls is easier than keeping track of ten volume settings using ten sets of controls.

>So your solution to making mpv a normie player is making them compile your halfassed graphical frontends that don't work half the time?
mpv is a back end. Normies should not care whatsoever what back end their media player uses. Normies do not even need to know what mpv is. They will use smplayer or baka-mplayer or bomi without ever even realizing that they are using mpv.

And mpv isn't even at version 1.0 yet. It is a LONG way from being finished. No normie would ever install it in the first place. Why are you insisting that unfinished software have a totally polished GUI your grandmother could use?

The lack of volume controls is a reasonable design decision. More importantly, it doesn't matter. mpv isn't finished yet, and once it is finished most people will use it with a separate front-end.
>>
>>53561513
>Keeping track of one volume setting using one set of controls is easier than keeping track of ten volume settings using ten sets of controls.
It's obviously not, hence why all audio players feature this functionality.
>>
>>53561544
Given that there are a grand total of eight controls on the mpv OSC, I don't much care. A GUI volume control isn't a vitally important feature (and is arguably totally redundant), so it doesn't go on the intentionally minimalist OSC. Period.
>>
>>53560971
Double click for full screen because I'm not a goddamn furry 4chan browsing retard
>>
>>53561201
Enjoy your tearing
>>
>>53561106
>-/=
>j
>#
>configurable
>s
>[/]
>configurable
>z/x
>isn't that what the file manager/shell is for?
>>
File: 1458330518028.gif (502 KB, 91x83) Image search: [Google]
1458330518028.gif
502 KB, 91x83
>>53561458
>smplayer
>>
File: logoBlue.png (5 KB, 183x62) Image search: [Google]
logoBlue.png
5 KB, 183x62
meme player != VideoLAN
>>
>>53562204
>inb4 can't be assed to learn those
you know exactly where to go to do the same in the gui, surely remembering a letter isn't going to be any more difficult, and you can set those to anything you like
>>
I'm a VLC user that's ready and willing to switch to something better...

However, nobody has ever, not even once, given me a solid reason to switch to mpv or any other media player. When I play the same video file in both players it looks the same. VLC is much easier to use, and is old, aka trusted. VLC opens literally any media file I've ever tried to play with it.

Why the fuck would I switch? I mean seriously, give me one decent reason to switch to any other media player.
>>
>>53562455
become a trendy memer and switch xD
>>
>>53560515
Linux, anon. OP is talking about Linux.
>>
>>53562468
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/baka-mplayer/
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.