[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UBUNTU UNITY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10
GOOD ENOUGH FOR NASA
GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME

SEKRIT KLUB RICERS CAN KILL THEMSELVES
>>
i don't understand the hate vanilla ubuntu gets on /g/
>>
>>53558584
>i don't understand the hate [insert something popular or normie here] gets on /g/
/g/ are a bunch of hipster losers
>>
>>53558311
Unity is OK.
GNOME Shell is the best choice, followed by KDE or Cinnamon, or at least something built on top of modern technologies.
>>
>>53558610
>/g/ are a bunch of hipster losers
this.

Ubuntu is perfectly fine imo. I understand that one does not like the user experience of unity, but there are plenty of different flavours available. still all of them just werk and werk really good, compared to other distros which always need some kind of fix
>>
>>53558642
there is no objectively best choice and there will never be one, nigger.
>>
>>53558610
>>53558657
There's also no excuse for muh minimalism fags when there's Ubuntu Server.
>>
>>53558311
>appeal to the authority

I bet you are gay because some famous dude is gay too.
>>
>>53558642
never tried gnome shell, i'll give it a test drive on a VM now
>>
File: 1458176095968.jpg (39 KB, 600x632) Image search: [Google]
1458176095968.jpg
39 KB, 600x632
>>53558642
>modern technologies.
>Unity is Qt
>not modern

FUCKOFF AND KILL YOURSELF YOU FUCKING STUPID PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: Shuttleworth_NASA.jpg (81 KB, 816x802) Image search: [Google]
Shuttleworth_NASA.jpg
81 KB, 816x802
Ubuntu can into space
>>
>>53558642
Unity will get even better when 16.04 gets released. Canonical is really doing a great job with it and Unity 8 looks a lot better.
>>
I choose debian over ubuntu purely for the logo. Something about the ubuntu logo makes me feel shame
>>
>>53558311
Typical newfag
>>
File: ubuntu-in-china.jpg (44 KB, 650x353) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-in-china.jpg
44 KB, 650x353
>>53559309

>use the most trusted desktop Linux distro
>proven quality over several years
>used by Tesla, Nintendo, Ferrari etc.

Fuckoff disinfo shill
>>
>>
File: Ubuntu_Best_Buy-700x400_c.jpg (118 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu_Best_Buy-700x400_c.jpg
118 KB, 700x400
>>
NASA what a bunch of disgusting normies

I bet they also use facecuck and twitter
>>
>>
File: Ubuntu_Abu_Dhabi-700x400_c.jpg (133 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu_Abu_Dhabi-700x400_c.jpg
133 KB, 700x400
>>
>>53558610
THiS
>>
Major companies use babby distros because they're the most fully supported at an enterprise level, not the most free/most fun/most efficient.
>>
>>53560630
there's a board for shitposters you know
>>>/s4s/
>>
Unity is the best DE for Linux!

- Gnome: became a piece of shit with version 3.0 (they should have gone in the Mac OS/Elementary direction, instead these dumb fucks went for iOS)
- KDE: has always been shit
- Xfce/LXDE/Cinnamon/...: SHIT SHIT SHIT
>>
>>53558610
>/g/ are a bunch of losers

ftfy
>>
>>53561317
>3 lines of dank memes
>>
File: 1394336815284.jpg (43 KB, 433x378) Image search: [Google]
1394336815284.jpg
43 KB, 433x378
so hillarious all these os threads, never has anything to do with the os, just the window manager
>>
People may be experts in their fields, not necessarily on customizing their computer OS. They don't have time for that shit, they may not even be allowed to do that for support/technical reasons. It also just works.
>>
I don't mind Unity, but the Amazon thing just rubbed me the wrong way.
>>
Unity is ok
Gnome a bit slow
KDE a ton slow
Cinnamon is comfortable
XFCE and MATE are both classic
Openbox is for netbooks
>>
>>53558311
Bloat is bad.
Unity is bloated.
Windows 10 vanilla runs with 688MB overhead with 12+GB of ram.
Ubuntu Vanilla runs with 895MB overhead with 12+GB of ram.

Therefore, even though Ubuntu is Linux, it's still heavier and more bloated than Windblows. People who use Linux with 100MB overhead on 12+GB of ram hate this fact. So, they tear down Ubuntu.

Ubuntu tracks you by default
Ubuntu could contain malicious features due to its closed source nature
Ubuntu has a GUI for everything, when one is hardly needed for anything.
Ubuntu looks like shit, and doesn't perform well unless you have a GPU.
Ubuntu is hardly stable, and often crashes, mostly due to shitty third party developers.
Ubuntu lacks the security features that most other Linux distros include by default.
Ubuntu's interface takes up the majority of the pixels on your display for absolutely nothing, wasting soo much space, and imo looking ugly as fuck doing it.
Ubuntu is the slowest booting vanilla Linux distro, period.
>>
>>53558311
Unity is pretty good for casual use of the GUI. If you use the GUI more often, it's better to use something more customizable. On my 2 Ubuntu servers Unity is ok. If you use your de to start only one and same programm, it doesn't matter which de you use. If you need some propper window management or if your usecase changes everytime u use your computer, Unity simply isn't enough.
>>
File: 1458242637794.jpg (487 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1458242637794.jpg
487 KB, 2448x3264
>>53561618
>Ubuntu tracks you by default
>Ubuntu could contain malicious features due to its closed source nature

STOPPED READING AFTER THE FIRST TWO LIES
>>
Me in the middle
>>
>>53561654
Jesus fuck, don't kidd yourself buddy, just because they took out integrated ads by amazon by default, doesn't mean they couldn't have snuck a few more malicious features in to replace the loss of revenue.
>>
>>53561618
>Ubuntu tracks you by default
Right
>Ubuntu could contain malicious features due to its closed source nature
Maybe
>Ubuntu has a GUI for everything, when one is hardly needed for anything.
Wrong
>Ubuntu looks like shit, and doesn't perform well unless you have a GPU.
GPU is always needed
>Ubuntu is hardly stable, and often crashes, mostly due to shitty third party developers.
Wrong
>Ubuntu lacks the security features that most other Linux distros include by default.
Wrong
>Ubuntu's interface takes up the majority of the pixels on your display for absolutely nothing, wasting soo much space, and imo looking ugly as fuck doing it.
Wrong, global menu proves so
>Ubuntu is the slowest booting vanilla Linux distro, period.
Wrong
>>
>>53561730
Proof? Sauce?

Second from last is totally not wrong.

>having window frames
>having a thick bar that never goes away to be the menubar instead of 10px high menus per application which can be clicked per application instantly instead of having to focus then go up to menu bar.
>>
>>53561730
>closed source nature
What?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.