[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the easiest & best programming language to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3
What is the easiest & best programming language to learn for someone who is not interested in system level stuff (C) or enterprise programming (Java) ?

To make a web scraper for instance.

Would Python be the best?
>>
PHP
>>
>>53557686

python or rub
>>
Assembly
>>
>>53557686
Python is nice, it has plenty of library support and it's very easy to get up and running.
>>
>>53557686
try stackoverflowscript

e.g. 'im a girl how do i make a web scraper'
>>
get into the LAMP stack
>>
>>53557700
>>53557722
Practical differences between Python and Ruby?
>>
>>53557686
BASH + wget / curl
>>
>>53557686

>Would Python be the best?

Absolutely not, you should with how to use .NET
>>
>>53557788
Not much you should care about at the beginner's stage. Any one of them is fine.
>>
>>53557842
I learned Pascal when I was young, I won some tournaments in school even
But then I made the mistake to stop learning
Just looking at the code of Python and Ruby, I think Ruby's code is much more beautiful
Should I go with my gut feeling then?
Kinda feels though that Python is much more popular ?
>>
>>53557893

Python is more used. Though I agree with you that ruby's syntax is a lot nicer and I prefer it to python too.
>>
>>53557893
ruby is more expressive but at the cost of speed (a real big cost)

python has stupid retard formatting that makes looking at any python program unbearable.

neither of these things are a hindrance for a web scraper
>>
>>53557893
Python is more popular these days, but Ruby used to be.

It doesn't really matter, I prefer Python but whatever.

Like this guy says (>>53557922) it's just about personal preference.
>>
It doesn't matter one bit. The language is just a tool, you're basically asking what hammer would be best for someone learning to build a house. Go with whatever you can find the most tutorials for.
>>
>>53557686
Scheme
>>
>>53557686
OP most replies in this thread are trolls. Go for C++

Trust me, it's the best language for everything, even web
>>
>>53558150
>>53558239
lol
>>
Well my favorite color is Green. I guess I'm going with R or C#.
>>
>>53558150
row hammer > hammer(piano)
>>
>>53557947
>Python is more popular these days, but Ruby used to be.
>but Ruby used to be.
Nod really. There was a brief hype, but I don't think it was ever more popular than Python. Which is a shame. I like Ruby much better than Python as a language, but sadly a cancerous community (Rails hipster bullshit) formed around it before it had the chance to supplant Python.
>>
just learn javascript and node
>>
You should do it in several languages so you don't become a retard who can't pick up languages quickly.
>>
>>53557822
what the fuck? don't they give Indian's at least a crash course in English before allowing them an internet connection?
>>
>>53557686
im just going to recommend lua, as it teaches good practice and is easy and fun.
plus, more useful down the road than python, but perl is even better for that
>>
>>53557686
Javascript

Not because it's a good language, but just the most useful one in most use cases. You can keep writing scripts that you run locally, or you can build web applications later if you were so inclined. And it's never going to die so you might as well.
>>
>>53557708
BASIC, desu.
>>
>>53557893
Usually crappy shit becomes more popular in the computer world.
>>
the easiest language to learn is lisp. knowing how to use that language is a harder though
>>
>>53557686
Obvious JavaScript, anon. I made literally a dozen webscrapers with it.
>>
OP, go for Go, the language of the future.
>>
>>53557686
Scheme or Common Lisp
>>
>>53559470
>>53558960
So why so many people shit on JS?
>>
>>53559531
because it's shit?
>>
>>53559531
It does have some redeeming factors:

- it's the only option
- it's pretty fast for a dynamic language
- stockholm syndrome
>>
Keep wasting your time asking plebs on here for advice when you could be diving into some programming languages.
>>
>>53558187
>>53559530
Fucking this.
>>
Python or Ruby are the only web scripting languages you should ever need.
>>
>>53557686
C and libcurl.
>>
>>53557686
Python if you want to know about what coding in general is without caring too much about a strict syntax but you will be limited to scripts or small programs if you use python idle and tkinter only
>>
>>53560557
Sorry didn't read about web scraper, still python should be good
>>
File: 1433469804861.jpg (497 KB, 1280x912) Image search: [Google]
1433469804861.jpg
497 KB, 1280x912
I really don't get it, doesn't the project dictate what you're gonna use? you can't use assembly to do web dev. I mean, I wanna do a project with CUDA. So i'm basically stuck with c++ or Python, right?
>>
Ruby or Python
>>
>>53557686
if you aren't cut out for C you might as well start your career as a front end web "developer"
>>
>>53557789
underated

or perl. But what do I know? I'm an old crusty Unix admin from the 90's
>>
>>53559656
This *10^6
>>
R
>>
>>53560611
>you can't use assembly to do web dev
But you can. There's even a book about it ;)

>>53557686
I prefer Python for web scripting. Mainly because all the libraries are well documented and community is huge and helpful.
I've made scrapers ranging from complicated ones with Scrapy to very short scripts only relying on requests/urllib2. I only wish there was a decent library that uses JQuery-like selectors for parsing HTML though. BeautifulSoup is close enough, though.

>>53557789
Also this. In most cases wget in a simple loop is more than enough.
>>
>>53559530
Yes. Haskell is fine too.
>>
>>53557788
There are many practical differences, but none that are very important when it comes to learning your first language.

Learning your first language is as much learning how to think like a programmer as it is about learning a particular language. Once you have the thinking part down, switching to a new language is a breeze. You aren't stuck with whatever you learned on. The first one I learned was C++ and I haven't touched it in years, so don't get too hung up on picking the "right" language.
>>
>>53558475
>Ruby much better than Python as a language
Ruby has a lot of syntactic sugar for programmers, but the underlying implementation has always been kinda crap.
>>
>>53558344
R is only useful for stats and weird math stuff. The actual language is pretty slow too. The only fast stuff are the libraries that are implemented in C.

I think the main role for R is to provide a friendlier way from non CS professors and grad students to work with C libraries.
>>
turing, its the best programming language
>>
>>53558767
Clearly you have never called a call center
>>
>>53559412
Bullshit. That would the hardest for a newb.

The begin with there are many variants of lisp now, so just finding a matching tutorial and dev environment will be hard enough for them.
>>
>>53563687

All the hype I'd seen around this language was blown away the first time I saw an article talking about "monkey patching".

What a horrible fucking way to go about doing things.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.