[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this placebo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3
File: flux-icon-big.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
flux-icon-big.png
18 KB, 256x256
Is this placebo?
>>
Opposite. I don't know if it helps but it certainly does change the color of my monitor.
>>
No i have been using it since release and can't live without it
>>
Not for me

It really helps me at night when I'm on my computer, sometimes I turn it off for a while if I'm about to play/watch something, and I always get blinded by my monitors brightness (especially on a white background)
>>
>>53550973
I think most video games and video players user their own RGB color scheme or w/e and it turns off automatically
>>
Eh, I honestly couldn't tell you. Placebo implies that there's a desired effect and a test of efficacy. I've never had a problem with it, but I've also never experienced any eye strain or discomfort without it.

I mostly use it because I'm worried about the long term damage that I theoretically could be doing to my eyes, because those effects aren't immediately palpable
>>
Try it out for yourself, some people need it, I can live without it.
>>
>>53550939
i dont know about any of the circadian rhythm stuff, but i use it at work and my eyes aren't sore anymore at the end of the day like they were before i used it, so no, not placebo.
>>
Just try using it for a week or so and then turn it off at night and answer it yourself.
>>
addicted to it, great app, maybe placebo, but chances are it really helps your eyes
>>
>>53550996
>I believe it is supposed to cause x beneficial effect
>i believe that it is causing x beneficial effect
>therefore it is not a placebo
>>
>>53551041
here your reply, fag.
>>
>>53550939

My monitor/phone really hurts my eyes if I don't use it at night.
>>
It's not just placebo. I'm a jaded piece of shit that would be the first to rain shit on it if it were.

I didn't download it and decided "yes, this is gonna help my eyestrain". In fact, it was quite the opposite. I actually hated it at first, it was difficult to get used to. Once I did though, much like many, I can't really live without it anymore. It definitely reduces my eyestrain drastically. Also, as soon as I turn it off, my eyes want to fall out of their sockets.

It just werks and I have no idea why some people are so hostile towards it. And I only see the hostility on 4chan. It's like a bunch of dipshits just have to be contrarian cunts for no reason whatsoever.
>>
>>53550939
No it works very well
>>
>>53551075
Its a fairly simple program at its core, i always assumed the hostility was a bunch of lonely script kiddies just wishing they had written it themselves
>>
>>53550983
for me it seems to be just full screen games
>>
>>53550939
It's Orange juice. You can do the same effect from NVIDIA control panel, no need of additional process..
>>
>>53550939
Is this a blind idiot?
>>
>>53551241
At least on Windows full screen games bypass the desktop's color management.

If your monitor has color temperature controls you may want to try those instead; in many cases they result in less color banding, too.
>>
>>53551787
Does the Nvidia control panel adjust the screen over the course of the day?
>>
Ya'll niggas need to adjust the brightness on your monitors and the room lighting. I work at night, no screen tinting, because the room and screen are balanced
>>
>>53551821
Or I can just have a program do it automatically for me.
>>
File: GNU + Drake.jpg (186 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
GNU + Drake.jpg
186 KB, 690x460
>>53550939
>This proprietary garbage rather than the free and open source redshift.
>>
>>53551833
>being a freetard
>>
>>53550939
why dont you just fucking try it, retard?
>>
f.lux is shit. Why anyone would want to have a program that fucks color/temperature calibration is beyond me. I am willing to bet over 90% of this community has never even bothered getting a proper D65 calibration.
>>
>>53550939
nope, its science
>>
>>53551828
Except now all your shit is yellow
>>
>>53551863
You know you can disable it temporarily right? Just in-case you're editing images, watching something, or just general things that require colour accuracy.

>>53551850
>being this much of a cuck
>>
>>53551863
Use f.lux at night for a half hour and kill the program while you're looking at the screen. Enjoy your blindness
>>
>>53551863
My profile took over 20 hours to build in dispcal and I still use flux.

Get off your high horse faggot.
>>
>>53551863
Dude what, it's not about color calibration, it's about tinting the screen to reduce eye fatigue. Nobody is using it for color accuracy
>>
>>53551901
>Believing in eye fatigue caused by a properly calibrated display
>>
>>53551922
A properly calibrated display is still going to appear incorrect under improper lighting conditions.

I hope you only use your computer while being in a room lit with light equivalent to midday sun.
>>
Enjoy training your eyes to automatically over correct and add a blue tint to everything ayy lmao. Yall niggas gon be seeing smurfs soon
>>
>>53552064
My room is lit by 6500K CFL bulbs.
>>
>>53552105
My condolences.
>>
>>53550939
I uninstalled it because I always forgot to disable it while watching movies and every movie felt overly dramatic (like it was constantly filmed at sundown, or everything was on fire).
But otherwise it is great.
>>
It causes floaters

Maybe Idk fuck you guys
>>
ITT: People who don't know what placebo means.
>>
Both my monitor and phone have this functionality built in. I have it activated, but I'm not uncomfortable without it.
>>
File: memes.png (2 MB, 2864x1216) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
2 MB, 2864x1216
not even meme'in ya
>>
>>53552967
>Bloatdows UAC kicks in
>>
>>53551850
I'd rather give my ass to RMS than let Microshaft take it by force
>>
>>53554188
Not being a freetard by no means means you run Windows. Hell most Linux users aren't freetards, this board just either has a high concentration of them or they're an outspoken minority.
>>
>>53550939
Obviously not. I couldn't even use my current screen without this because it's too bright and I can't get good settings from the monitor itself.
>>
Only problem with Flux is it becomes impossible to live without once you're used to it.
>>
>>53554276
...also makes you realize that EVERYTHING should have this functionality built in. Wish all the lights in my house could colour shift in the same way.
>>
>>53550939
It's not, try to run f.lux at night for an hour or two then disable it, you will then realize how much of a strain is put on your eyes w/o f.lux. If you're on Linux use redshift.
>>
>>53554355
it's availible for linux doe. Only reason not to is because you are a freetard
>>
>>53551811
No, they don't
They game has to specifically do it
>>
>>53554379
>Only reason not to is because you are a freetard
see http://jonls.dk/2009/12/flux-for-linux/
>>
>>53550939

Daily reminder that flux icon looks like a nip slip
>>
>>53554403
>2009
>>
>>53554403
>t. redshift dev
>>
>>53554405
cannot unsee
>>
>>53554379
Both redshift and f.lux are identical in function (redshift doesn't work well on Windows though), so why use f.lux on Linux if there is redshift?
>>
>>53554751
I prefer everything to not be tinted red
>>
>>53554921
Please elaborate? Do redshift and f.lux use different methods of reducing color temperature?
>>
>>53555020
Redshift tints the screen red, f.lux tints the screen yellow, I prefer the yellow tinting to red
>>
What are your setting goys?

Should I go for the dank incandescent shiet or it's halogen just fine for night?
>>
>>53550939
It certainly helps me. I use it on my computer and my phone
>>
no but it's not worth it if viewing any kind of media
absolutely obliterates color accuracy and contrast on my already shit TN panel. Im sure it would be even more annoying to have a decent screen brought down from beautiful to horrendous

web browsing/typing only
>>
>>53550939
I notice a difference. It's way cozier at night when shit posting on my iphone. I just installed redshift on my gentoo box and that shit is cozy as hell too. Thinking about getting some smart leds too so i can have the lights at my house mimic the setting sun. Don't knock it till u try it bro
>>
No, it's not.
>>
>>53554045
>Not disabling UAC
>>
first time i hear about it. downloaded it for testing.

first few minutes are weird as fuck. i'm now about 30 minutes in and can't really tell a difference. definitely warmer but doesn't seem as weird as before (i'ts 19:30 pm).
i'll give it a few days and see.
>>
Used to use it, stopped, used redshift, stopped.
I'm affraid it'll fuck up my eyes as in overstimulate my cones (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell) and make me kind of colorblind.
>>
>you can't hide the icon in the tray
It's shit
>>
>>53555905
ok, see you then
>>
>>53555905
please definitely report back and let us know your experience we'll all be waiting here eagerly to know your conclusion.
>>
>>53550939
It noticeably makes your screen yellow. If you need accurate colors turn that shit off. One way to see if it works for you is to use it for an hour at night then turn it off.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.