[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good laptop to get Linux for the first time on? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: asus-zenbook.jpg (29 KB, 580x395) Image search: [Google]
asus-zenbook.jpg
29 KB, 580x395
What is a good laptop to get Linux for the first time on? I want it to look normal not like a brick thinkpad.
>>
didn't your mother teach you to read?
>>>/wsr/
>>>/sqt/
>>
chromebook, with crouton. You'll appreciate being able to flip back and forth between "real" linux and chromeos when things inevitably go wrong and you need to fix them.
>>
>>53549342
Sorry :'(
>>
File: 9ab.png (90 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
9ab.png
90 KB, 618x618
>>
>>53549291
Chromebook is a good option it relatively cheaper also
>>
>>53549291
We certainly not the aluminum piece of shit in your pic anon.

I have an asus zenbook. The metal case is very thin, any impact will cave-in a corner and shatter the edge of the screen. It happens shockingly easily.

Thanks to my mothers cat, I know this first hand. :(
>>
>>53549481
What the fuck did your moms pussy do to your laptop
>>
>>53549481
Grow up and learn to take care of your things.
>>
XPS 13 3k
>>
File: x1 carbon.jpg (89 KB, 1020x681) Image search: [Google]
x1 carbon.jpg
89 KB, 1020x681
Thinkpads are the most reliable, but you don't have to get the old brick ones. They have nice looking thin ones these days, just like every other manufacturer. Pic related: Current Thinkpad X1.

If all else fails, the XPS 13 isn't a bad second choice.
>>
>>53549416
If you're actually sorry you can be forgiven by leaving and never coming back.
>>
I can't recommend a thin laptop other than the cherry trail chink stuff for 100 bucks, no point in getting one of those laptops that aren't powerful enough for anything other than mp3s.
>>
Something with nvidia graphics
>>
>>53552052
I've got an XPS 13 here. One thing I have to add, make sure your XPS 13 has intel wifi rather than broadcom wifi. Broadcom wifi'll work under linux but it's shit and you have to go out of your way to get drivers.

Also if you hit a hidpi model expect to do some configuration to make it look decent.
>>
>>53549291
if you're going to bother with dedicated graphics, make sure you don't get an AMD one

you know the meme that AMD's drivers on windows are shit? AMD's linux drivers are shit in ways you can't even imagine

other than that, you should be good
>>
>>53552094
Well yea the windows version comes with broadcom card and the ubuntu with intel card.
>>
>>53552123
Didn't amd's free driver fix this a while ago?
>>
>>53552281
fix what?
as it stands
free driver = either your card is on fire and performs like shit or X just uses the intel one no matter how hard you try

proprietary driver = literally fucking nothing works and the screen tears all over the place
>>
>>53549291
macbook w/ssd
>>
>>53552749

MBP works out of the box with linux. Most sysadmin guys I know use one. Only bad thing is its apple, but build quality is pretty darn good. Not much more expensive than xps 13 either (if you have a job).
>>
>>53552927
I'd get an XPS 15 instead. They have better screens and a dedicated GPU, as well as working extremely well with Linux.
>>
Alienware 17 r3
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.