[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why do so many corporations use C# their applications? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: averagecsgraduate.png (77 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
averagecsgraduate.png
77 KB, 694x801
So why do so many corporations use C# their applications? I mean C# needs a fucking framework to even work, how is this acceptable?

Why not C++? It's pretty similar to C#, doesn't need a framework or anything, and programs can be cross compiled to other operating systems and architecture easily

The way I see it, C# doesn't have any benefits over C++, and companies even have to pay to download the IDE
>>
>>53548126
Sepples is absolutely awful. C# is more of a java replacement than a sepples replacement.
>>
C++ is significantly lower level in almost every way, older with less features and has a much smaller community
So definitely not the first choice for modern agile development

you'd know if you weren't a bedroom programmer idiot
>>
I can code literally anything in C#. That framework you diss? Millions of lines of code that I don't have to.

C++ is for game programmers.
>>
>>53548805
>C++ is significantly lower level
>you'd know if you weren't a bedroom programmer
WEWLAD
>>
C# is easier to use. There's a bit of performance overhead, but due to computer hardware companies trying to keep those stock prices up, they keep putting out hardware faster than most software can keep up.
>>
>>53548126
c++ is actually more complicated than c#
>>
>C# needs a fucking framework to even work
The .NET runtime is installed by default on every Windows computer since I think 7 (maybe Vista, I'm not sure), and is able to be run on other machines if necessary because the framework is open source. Companies use it because it's like Java but less terrible. Java, by the way, also requires a runtime environment and large library set. Hard disk space is cheap, and nobody cares.

As for C++ and its requirements, it also often requires large libraries to get much productive work done (i.e. Qt). But unless you're developing for embedded, size doesn't really matter much. What does matter is the performance hit, which is why companies that care about performance are using C++ anyways.

As for the other bullshit...

No you don't need to pay for an IDE. C# can be compiled without Visual Studio, and if you aren't particularly large of a company, you can always use the Community Edition of Visual Studio.

>C# has no benefits
I can go onto any Windows 7 or later computer and compile C# on it out of the box.
>>
>>53549644

>C++ is for game programmers
It has more uses than that. For instance, the .NET runtime you are using is written in C++.
>>
>>53550039
This.
Also C# has garbage collection, which makes it easier and safer to use.
This is a problem you need to squeez out every bit of performance, which is not the case for your average C# program.
>>
>>53550074
2/3 of it is written in C# though.
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr
>>
>>53548142
>c# has a wider community
Gonna stop you right there that's completely wrong. C++ still sees far more usage than c#. You can spin the stats however you want, but c# hasn't quite replaced c++ and probably never will. It doesn't make c# a bad language but c# is nor "c++ but better in every way"
>>
File: 1455715807012.jpg (16 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
1455715807012.jpg
16 KB, 300x100
>>53548126
>you have to install something, how is this acceptable?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.