[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck. I've been using VLC forever. Why do I keep torturing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: 529px-VLC_Icon.svg.png (124 KB, 529x599) Image search: [Google]
529px-VLC_Icon.svg.png
124 KB, 529x599
Fuck. I've been using VLC forever. Why do I keep torturing myself like this? The interface really isn't that great, and it's aggravating to customize it because there's too many options spread out everywhere.

Tools
Preferences
Show settings
Simple    All

Really?

And the damn thing is modal!

HELP
>>
Am I out of line? No one else sometimes hates VLC for some reason?
>>
File: I can see forever.png (73 KB, 611x783) Image search: [Google]
I can see forever.png
73 KB, 611x783
>>
File: Untitled.png (83 KB, 778x783) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
83 KB, 778x783
Save Cancel

Close Cancel

Ugh

I think I'll delete this thread and start fresh.
>>
>>53546788
all of /g/ hates vlc
use mpv or mpc-hc. I quite like baka-mplayer, a fork of mpv.
>>
>>53546684
Just install something like MPC or bomi and break out of that hell hole
>>
>>53546684
VLC does this shitty grey-screen thing randomly when i'm watching a motion picture, and it pisses me off to no end.
>>
I don't know where they wen't wrong but it's borderline unusable now. It's a shame, it used to be my go-to media player.
>>
OP here.
Starting to see some light. Maybe.

https://www.vlchelp.com/how-to-change-subtitle-position-in-vlc/
>>
>>53547113
You mean when the video breaks up / stutters?
>>
is there a player that isn't complete shit at handling subtitles? if the subtitles need to be adjusted by 10 seconds or more with VLC they will keep drifting throughout the movie and require constant readjusting.
>>
>>53547205
breaks up, stutters, gets re-winded, or if the computer decides to load some other shit in the background.
>>
The problem with VLC seems to be that no options are ever thrown out. Everything stays configurable until the end of time. Things need to simplify.
>>
>>53547224
The joys of spinning hard drives and sloppy code?
>>
What I hate is there is no feedback!

1. Tools
2. Prefs
3. Simple
4. Subtitles
5. change pixel position
6. Save (because it's modal and you can just resume playback)
7. BAM! the options window disappears.
how do you get back there? "one does not simply walk into the options."
>>
>>53546684
>Vlc
>>
I mean, shit. I shouldn't have to putz around with 50 options just to move subtitles to the center of the screen. It should be a drag and drop operation.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 232x217
VLC require lots of brain power to configure.
>>
File: Untitled.png (118 KB, 857x728) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
118 KB, 857x728
>You can use this option...

WELL LA DE DA
>>
File: rage.png (235 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
235 KB, 582x600
>User Interface
>>
File: Untitled.png (328 KB, 974x767) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
328 KB, 974x767
>>
Adding insult to injury, VLC doesn't even remember your choices!
I click Tools -> Preferences -> Simple -> Save.
Then I go back to Preferences and it's not Simple!
>>
I'm starting to suspect that VLC is some kind of trollware.
>>
>>53546684
I actually strongly prefer the interface of VLC over MPC-HC, but the latter rarely fails me as often as VLC has.
>>
>>53547374
I'm beginning to suspect the problem here is not actually VLC.
>>
>>53547766
Go ahead. Try and move the subtitles in VLC. I'll wait.
>>
>>53547779
why would you though?
seems like it would be in the way
>>
>>53547799
That isn't the point.
Move them.
Anywhere.
You'd think you could you click and drag them around or something, but it's WAAAY more complicated than that.
Oh, and you want the text to be slightly see-thru? Fun times.

The VLC interface sucks.
But, it does have tooltips. So +1 for that.
>>
>>53547830
not him but I actually wouldnt think you can click and drag them them but I get it youre trying to rice your subtitles
I only use it for watching movies so I dont actually even care about all the options etc
>>
>>53547896
Well I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to click and drag subtitles around the screen while the video is playing. But VLC forces you to take the long way around when it comes to changing options.
>>
>>53547113

Or the random green lines at the bottom of the video
>>
>>53547947
yep. had that too.
this fixed it:
Tools -> Prefs -> Video -> Direct2D video output
>>
>>53547956

Nice mate, thanks. Take this upboat
>>
>>53547135
>wen't

Kill yourself
>>
>>53547947
i email videolan and they said itll be fixed in next version
>>
>>53547938
yeah thats a good point, I can't see why something simple like that wouldnt be easier in a good player
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.