[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is ransomware a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Is ransomware a meme?
>>
>>53542995
Stop calling fads memes :^(

Yours truly.
[s4s]
>>
>>53542995
It's the reason the big bosses finally dished out the money needed for a good backup system. We fought for 2 years but when we had to tell them we lost years worth of customer information at one of our branches because of the lack of a proper backup system they finally saw the light.
>>
>>53543104
I heard some police service had to do the same. Maybe it'll wake people the fuck up about security.
>>
>>53543234

>work as a hospital
>get instructed to pull a computer from the wall for randsomeware
>get shit on for taking a dr's computer by the retards who work up front making 10/hr
>laugh as I explain to them if this got on the network their doctor would be in the paper and shareholders would jump ship and they'd be jobless all because checking facebook and youtube are more important than working.

you either get someone stupid as hell opening an email they should know better to, or go to a website on the computer they somehow got access to. You don't just get that kind of malware from just normal activities.
>>
>>53543311
>work as a hospital
Tell me more
>>
>>53543026
>using the frowny with a carat nose
>>
>>53543311
>You don't just get that kind of malware from just normal activities.
You say that:
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/new-york-times-bbc-dangerous-ads-ransomware-malvertising/
There's a reason why I noscript everywhere.
>>
>>53543311
>work at an isp as linux/bsd sysadmin running core operations
>for years, hr has clung to their ancient windows-based mostly separated network for reasons and refused any offers of it assistance from other departments telling them their shit is a mess
>some stupid secretary got her workstation cryptolocker'd
>their "backups" were world-writable on auto-mounted windows shares
>they lose absolutely everything
>they eventually decide to bite the bullet and pay the bitcoin fee
>turns out it was a total scam and the attackers didn't even keep the keys
I was pretty pleased
>>
File: fugg.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
fugg.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>53543365
Holy shit was this recent?
>>
File: 1QnxdUD.gif (2 MB, 462x349) Image search: [Google]
1QnxdUD.gif
2 MB, 462x349
>>53543311
>Work as a hospital

They're learning...
>>
>>53543026
fef
>>
>>53543603
Within the past week I believe. Article was also updated today.
>>
>>53543365
so you have to be stupid enough to not have an ad blocker, and stupid enough to have plugins set to run without asking? This seems like the obvious result.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.