[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Gentoo a meme and Arch supreme? If you've got an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1458055907985.jpg (470 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
1458055907985.jpg
470 KB, 3888x2592
Why is Gentoo a meme and Arch supreme?

If you've got an i7 it compiles just as fast as Arch installs.

It's also easier to compile than Arch because it does it automatically.

It also has a better wiki.
>>
>>53541427
Arch NEETs couldn't figure out how to install Gentoo so they went with Arch instead.
Arch isn't actually supreme, they've just convinced themselves so to cope with their own incompetence
>>
>>53541498
Arch is pretty great actually. I like being bleeding edge without bloatware.
>>
>>53541427
I don't know. I installed Gentoo twice and was disappointed both times. It's not like it's horrible or anything, but it's kinda like getting a pet and realizing you don't want the responsibility of taking care of it.
>>
>>53541427
> arch users
too stupid to install gentoo or build a GNU/Linux based distro from scratch
>>
>>53541427
>If you've got an i7 it compiles just as fast as Arch installs.
I know that isn't true. Webkit and Libre Office take 5 ever
>>
>>53541522
So is Gentoo...
What makes it worse is that Arch has...
>no use flags (compile options)
>no config-update manager (this is where you hear the saying "pacman deleted my xorg.conf again!")
>no init option at compile time (shitstemD only)
>pacman, if you're not paying attention it will literally fuck up your computer
>no source code in repositories
>no version selection for packages
>no "slot" system
>no stability
Overall it is just not a trustworthy system, I would not put my important applications on there and especially not my config files.
>>
File: 4L_pbwceTPx.jpg (46 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
4L_pbwceTPx.jpg
46 KB, 550x397
>>53541751
This. But trying to explain this to archfags is like trying to teach sign language to a chimp, you can get them to understand a few words but they will never be reciting lines from Shakespeare. Pic related: a gentoo user trying to explain to an archfag on why gentoo is better. Archfag just wants its treats and it's small brain can't truly comprehend why gentoo is vastly superior.
>>
>>53541427
Arch is a containment distro for low iqs who like to "tinker" but don't know how anything actually works. Best to keep them in arch and away from real distros. Let them keep calling gentoo a meme. Better to have them hating on gentoo rather than fucking up the gentoo wiki and gentoo forums.
>>
>>53541686
>too stupid to repeat some steps already done and placed together in popular distributions
>>
>>53541971
such as?
I'm sure there's a reason for each and every one of those
>>
>>53541427
I use arch for AUR and because the wiki seems to be generally more up to date and less cryptic. There are a lot of pages on the Gentoo wiki which assume prior knowledge in certain other areas beyond regular system configuration and maintenance but will fail to mention it. When this is the case in the arch wiki you are usually given a brief summery of the other relevant topics or linked to their pages for you to learn in more detail. Also 99% of the time downloading a binary package won't lose much if any performance, the only things i've bothered to compile from source (via the ABS system) were the grsec kernel and firefox.

>>53541751
>no use flags (compile options)
It does when you complie things install != compile
>no config-update manager (this is where you hear the saying "pacman deleted my xorg.conf again!")
It actually puts new config files in the same directory appended wiht .pacnew and tells you about it so you can compare/alter the configs yourself
>no init option at compile time (shitstemD only)
I'm not even sure what you are talking about here. Are you talking about during installation of the base system? again install != compile.
>pacman, if you're not paying attention it will literally fuck up your computer
it says in the documentation to check the arch news before updating major companents like the kernel, glibc, etc in case a maintainer fucked up.
>no source code in repositories
Doesn't need it, and i don't see why this is a bad thing.
>no version selection for packages
Except there is
>>
>>53541427
>>53541498
Enjoy your fucking TimeSink OS, loser. You actually think you have to reinvent use by understanding a fucking operating system? I'm not impressed. Is it that focusing on anything besides work is more comforting? Fuck your little Gentoo you glorious piece of shit. Twist your fedora for me like some faggot!
>>
>>53542283
>Arch
>not TimeSink
fuck off.
Gentoo is probably the least timesink poweruser-os there is.
>>
>>53542183
I shouldn't have to bother with package news (gentoo has these too, anyway, and notifies me)

systemd is a service manager

source code allows me to say, choose whether or not to add python support with vim, and removes unnecessary bloat. If I want to add compile flags later, I just change them and run an @world recompile

by version selection you mean changing repositories entirely. Gentoo has each different version of a package on the same repository, I can select them on-the-fly
>>
Both are 12-year-old tier timesink hobby OSes.
>>
>>53543420
Fucking lights out, slick. Your days are fucking numbered with Gentoo.
>>
File: 1458164731142.jpg (93 KB, 806x813) Image search: [Google]
1458164731142.jpg
93 KB, 806x813
>>53543555
> mfw this is how Arch users respond when they've been btfo
Gentoo doesn't it fail, it doesn't brake. These are just pieces of pure fiction you've developed in your mind because you can't accept the fact that you're incapable of installing something any ubuntu-using retard could do.
You've never used Gentoo and you never will.
Enjoy your apples, fox, my grapes taste amazing
>>
>>53543526
Google and the new york stock exchange both use Gentoo.
>>
>>53541427
because I don't have an i7
>>
>>53543696
really?
>>
>>53543737
Yup. But Im wrong about the exchange. Its NASDAQ not NYSE.
>>
>>53543526
>Both are 12-year-old tier timesink hobby OSes.

And we're done here folks.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.