[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
Post your question, answers or just a piece of advice.
>>
>>53539819

bump
>>
install gentoo
>>
"coding" on a mac with a meme teacup near it.
Nice b8 m8.
>>
>>53540502
but it's the trend for web developers.
>>
I am a well paid Java Spring drone.
I absolutely HATE my work. It's not that I hate programming, but I hate working on blaoted enterprise SOA legacy applications. Creating a new entity involves around seven new classes, following our useless "required best practices". Spring Boot? No! Spring 3.x, no annotations, xml config only!

What possibilities do I have to replace my job with something equally well paying? I feel trapped with my polished Java skills.

I will get a BSc in information and communication systems in a year and start my 2 year MSc in Software Engineering afterwards.
>>
>>53540622
Lel, your knowledge earns well on freelancer jobs. Other than that, C++ jobs are the only ones that earn extremely good but ONLY ON large companies.
>>
>>53540622
>Java Spring
Smh lad
I'd just fucking kill myself rather than touch that pajeet tier crap Tbh
Hats off to you
>>
Pajeet here, how to get to America?

I'm only geting pay 300 rupees here

please give help, I can java
>>
>>53540622
Sounds like you just need a Java backend job at a company with fewer shitty practices and legacy apps. Should be pretty simple.
>>
>>53540656
Spring Boot is heaven though. Privately, I build everything in Spring Boot. I actually miss all the programming you don't have to do with Spring Boot. Even semi-complex applications are written with very little code.
Whatever your favorite language/framework has to offer, Spring Boot offers it as well.

Only enterprise standard legacy Spring is bad.
>>
>>53540697
apply for TOEFL and GRE
then apply for Phd at a random university
get your masters degree in 2 years and find a job during that time
>>
>>53540591
Well web developers test their code on web browsers in the end so they can pick w/e os they want - sure unless they develop tools for hosting and servers.
>>
>>53540722
it's the retina meme, more workspace, cool aesthetics etc.
>>
>>53540591
>webdevs
http://niceme.me/
>>
>>53540748
wew lad
I think you should leave this web site
>>
>>53539819

I'm about to graduate soon and will start looking for work shortly before. I have been programming for about 3+ years but not consistently and have no projects to show. How do I put my experience on my resume if I wasn't employed anywhere? I was thinking about lying and saying I did 2 full years of freelancing which technically is only half lying because I did do some freelancing but very little.

What do you anons advise? I dont want to act like I have zero experience.
>>
>>53541047
> I did 2 full years of freelancing
Lying isn't as easy as you think it is.
What exactly did you do?
Who did you do it for?
Do you have any references?

You should do internships!
You should have done internships right from the beginning.
>>
What are some tips to get a job? I am trying to get a job on the west coast like in the Bay area or in Seattle but I haven't been getting much responses back. My experience includes undergrad research + an internship as a Software Test Engineer and I have a bunch of projects on github including an interpreter for a programming language.
>>
>>53539819
I'm a networking guy who wants to move into security.

Should I shell out the cash for OSCP?
>>
>>53540779
>damage control: the post
>>
Have you ever asked for a raise?
>>
I'm currently working in tech retail however I'd like to do something a little more skilled. I have been working on my Retail Edge and Apple training to get some certs for my resume, but are there any others besides A+ I can take? Preferably free.
>>
>>53540709
+1 for spring boot

shit is cash

never even used legacy spring tb᠎h
>>
>>53541135

I mean it's freelancing I can say whatever. I do mostly back-end stuff so that's what I say I did. I also know basic front-end like HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript and Jquery. I also do mobile development.

I don't want my knowledge to go to waste basically, because I think I know more than someone who just did their coursework and nothing more. I'm also 29.
>>
>>53541178
If you have to ask you don't deserve it
>>
Is freelancing on sites like upwork as bad as they say it is? All I hear is "you'll be competing against pajeet for 3 dollars an hour", but I don't know if this is just bias/joking. I thought I'd like to do front-end or wordpress freelance stuff part-time, but "go out, meet people, start networking, and the jobs will come to you :^)" isn't really my thing.
>>
>>53541442
They are exactly that bad.
>>
>>53541504

But how are people making money then? There are plenty from Western countries.
>>
>>53541571
People from Greece and Romania are also willing to work for $3/hour.
>>
>>53541736

I don't think so, $3/hour is fucking cheap even for upwork. But I was referring to there being people from US/Canada/Western Europe.
>>
>>53542112
3 $ / hour for 8 hours 5 days / week x 4 weeks = 480 usd which = 1 898 ron

Now a secreatry earns 2 000 ron
Chemistry lab assistent 1 800 ron
Welder 1 500 ron
Mall workers 1 200 ron

Minimum wage in 2016 = 1 250 RON

So tell me why wouldn't they work for 3$ / hour considering they do little intellectual work, don't leave computer or the comfort or their house and it pays better than alternatives?
>>
>>53542201
>So tell me why wouldn't they work for 3$ / hour considering they do little intellectual work, don't leave computer or the comfort or their house and it pays better than alternatives?

Because IT salaries in Romania start from 2K-3K RON for newly graduates and go up to 3K-4K EUR for senior roles. You naively compare IT salaries with everything else.

You can earn more in Romania (after all the expenses) than UK, Germany et. all.
>>
>>53542447
>3K-4K EUR for senior roles.

I should mention this is higher end stuff and not your typical code monkey work. I however know people that earn 1000EUR with 1-2 years of experience doing either front-end or back-end.
>>
>>53542447
>>53542471

Third and last, Romania is very strong in IT and a lot of companies outsource there but don't compare Romania to India, Romanians are actually pretty good programmers.
>>
>>53542494
Pretty good gypsies but not programmers.
>>
>>53543251

Says the nigger.
>>
>>53543324
Typical gypsy response.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.