[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/linux/ - game dev engines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: gamedev_ubuntu.jpg (814 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
gamedev_ubuntu.jpg
814 KB, 2560x1440
I am a mobile developer who uses mostly cordova with ionic on ubuntu.
I created some mobile games in html5 (dumb name) with phaserjs.
Now I want to create 3d games and I am wondering which game engine to use.
There is javascript api for cocos2d engine and unity3d.

Share your experiences in game development with linux.
>>
File: archlinux_512x512.png (27 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
archlinux_512x512.png
27 KB, 512x512
The best game engine with the best operating system, what else?
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/unity-editor-beta/

Don't forget to install these and install mac osx to compile games for osx and ios.
- vmware-workstation
- vmware-patch
- vmware-unlocker
>>
Don't waste your time with vmware, use qemu and pci pass through.
It's fucking easy, but you need a compatible gpu to test your games in osx and ios emulator.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3v6f9y/os_x_in_qemu_with_pcie_pass_through/
>>
Not Linux but I've used both those engines briefly.

I tried using Cocos2d and the SDK / IDE installer was broken as fuck. Then after finally getting it working I found that there weren't many guides because the switch to JS was relatively recent. So I never got a chance to really try it.

Unity is easy as fuck. I used that back in highschool to start making a 2.5D beat em up. Never finished but what I did make was really easy.
>>
>>53535189
Is valve still pushing Steam OS?
>>
What about the GODOT engine?
http://www.godotengine.org
>>
>>53536532

Yeah. That looks great.
Even the "Pythonscript" feature looks good.
>>
Atomic goes open source, damned it's a dream.
http://atomicgameengine.com/blog/announcement-2/
>>
Godot because its open sorce and free as in free beer
>>
Godot.
>>
>>53536240
does that even matter?
>>
>>53535189
I make my own engines
>>
We can create/dev games on linux!

Why are they so much more windows compatible games?
Why developers don't want to dev on windows os anymore but keep creating windows games?
>>
Lib gdx
>>
>>53537030
>>53537073
I've heard about it but how good is godot, really?
>>
>>53539390
Its great, but the documentation is a bit spare and the 3D part of the engine is atm not so capable as unity.

I use it a few month now and it gets frequent updates so the 3D part should get better in time.
>>
>>53535189
I play with love2d sometimes
>>
How to install all these game engine on ubuntu?
I can't find ppa repositories.
>>
OpenGL ES and native code.
>>
>>53542925
How many hours do you need to just create a simple battlefield clone? ;)
>>
>tfw your still using torque3d
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.