[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 Why isn't everything running on nuclear power yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (35 KB, 428x343) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
35 KB, 428x343
>2016
Why isn't everything running on nuclear power yet?
>>
'Cause of those ecologic freaks
>>
Hippies
>>
>>53534934
>>53534947
/thread
>>
bleeding hearts unironically destroying the world by denying us the superior energy
>>
>>53534927
UK shitposting runs on nuclear power
>>
>>53534927
Lawsuits no matter where you build the damn things
>>
>>53535024
and Australian*
>>
MUH CHERNOBYL
MUH THREE MILE ISLAND
MUH FUKUSHIMA
>>
>>53534927
Might want to ask the Japanese about that. Recall their little accident that is currently irradiating the Earth's oceans.
>>
NIMBY'S
>>
How much do you trust the government regulators in your country? Because if they're lazy or taking bribes, you too can experience the joy of a nuclear meltdown.

Just because a technology is safe doesn't guarantee the implementation is.
>>
>>53535256
>Chernobyl was built retarded and run by retards.
>Three mile was built retardedly and reported where valves should be, not where they actually were
>Fukushima was older than Three Mile and run by retards who ignored the suggestion to move the backups to somewhere less floody and build a taller wall

And yet we still can't have nice things...
>>
>>53534927
Nuclear doesn't scale well with daily demand peaks and dips; traditional power (coal) is much more suited to this, while nuclear, hydroelectric etc can easily provide the baseline supply levels.
>>
>>53536698
Thank god someone knows the truth

Ps: watch the chernobyl zero hour documentary of the events as they unfolded

Puts a new look into what happened

Pss: its got an interview from a control room survivor
>>
>>53536698
And yet we still have thousands of tons of waste that will take an human eternity to be at acceptable radiation levels and we have to keep this shit somewhere.
>>
>>53536752
That's a shame that humans didn't mastered yet the fine art of hole digging.
>>
>>53536783
>Holes in which those barrels will rot, contaminating the ground water
>More new waste than waste that can be thrown away
find the problem
>>
>>53536752
>>53536856
With R&D as limited as they are, we have reactors that can consume this waste down to hundreds of years of radioactivity as well as use up leftover weapons-grade material. Imagine what we could get if we set aside the FUD and reinvested in this tech.
>>
I did one nuclear engineering course for my minor so my knowledge is limited, but the main problem for nuclear energy is the lack of funding for viable research.

The original fuel was uranium because had the dual purpose of being used for weapons, we just can't seem to move away from that because of the previous reason, no funding.

>>53536721
That's what energy storage systems are for. Look at Ontario with the balloon project, or other places with fly wheels, etc.
>>
>>53536721
The idea that we have to consume the energy produced right away is antiquated. The problem is storage, not the production.
>>
>>53534927
We'll start by building a nuclear power plant right next to your house.
>>
>>53537290
I'll take it over the coal one there now any day, it would be much better for my health.
>>
>>53535013
Sadly enough this also applies to welcoming refugees and the ensuing islamic invasion.

There is a limit to being nice.
>>
Radiation senpai
>>
>>53534927
Gotta feed the oil jews
>>
>>53534927
Because is shit,1 retard in the world who fucks up and we are all dooned
>>
>>53534927
'Cause nuclear power is so 1960. It's a technology of the past.
The future is about energy efficient appliances running on a smart tailor-made grid.
>>
>>53536752
>and we have to keep this shit somewhere.
India then?
>>
>>53536752
can't we chuck it into volcanoes or launch it into space?
>>
>>53537357
Using coal fired plants
>>
>>53535713
nuclear power plant operators tend to be paranoid about safety.
Plants are safe even if the owner bribes more inspectors than Mr.Burns.
>>
>>53536752
Only about 1% of that waste is active enough to require deep geological disposal. Only 1% of that is incapable of being reprocessed.
>>
>>53537398
No. Space disposal won't be viable until we have cheap commercial moon travel and volcanoes tend to distribute anything inside them when they erupt.

Reprocessing, recycling and geological disposal (in that order) are currently the best options.
>>
>>53534927
because nobody needs batteries that last 30 years.
>>
>>53534927
The problem is the human component. Either government regulations are shit and too low, The operators are skimping on security and we need armored trains to protect against potential muslims (somehow no need to protect the powerplant itself).
>>
>>53536752
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/05/06/a-modest-proposal-for-nuclear-waste-disposal/

>>53536856
>granite
>groundwater
ayy lmao

>>53537290
I'd love that
>>
because it takes 0 effort to ship coal to a coal power plant 10 miles away

compare to getting that shit from afrika under proxy organizations, refining it, and caring enough about clean energy delivered to hicks and southern people no one cares about who live in lead mines anyway
>>
>>53537398
>chuck it into a volcano
>suddenly erupts with radioactive lava
>>
>>53539299
>Afrika
You mean Kazakhstan, Canada, and Australia you FUD-spreading hick.
>>
>>53537398
>>53537576
What about space volcanoes?
>>
>>53534927
because the fucking retards building nuclear power plants take too long and even then, don't take safety seriously.
>>
File: tumblr_ll9mgrp1cD1qbfu8h.jpg (24 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ll9mgrp1cD1qbfu8h.jpg
24 KB, 500x380
>>53541125
It's because there's so many intermediate inspections, checks, and bureaucracy to go through to even begin fueling, let alone reach criticallity. And if you don't think they take safety seriously, jump the fence at a plant and see what happens.
>>
>>53534927

F U K U S H I M A
U
K
U

S
H
I
M
A
>>
>>53541542
see
>>53536698
>>
>2016

>buclear

lel
>>
>>53539313
>it's Pompeii all over again but with ghoulification
>>
>>53534927
Because Hydropower plants exists
>>
>>53537547
Or just thrown into a pile and used as fuel for other reactors, or NIH applications.
>>
>>53536698
>>Chernobyl was built retarded and run by retards.

fossil fuel electric plants are designed and run by people who make mistakes too. But if they screw up we don't have to evacuate a 500 square mile exclusion zone for 50 years.
>>
>>53539313
Lava is always radioactive, silly goose!
Where do you think the heat comes from?
>>
File: before photoshop.jpg (119 KB, 728x1082) Image search: [Google]
before photoshop.jpg
119 KB, 728x1082
>>53534927
There's more juice coming from wind turbines in the US than from nuke plants.
There's more jobs, too.
>>
The nuclear meme ended decades ago
get off the internet grandpa
>>
I want a nuclear power supply for AMD CPU.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.