[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you guys think of BSD? if you're a user why do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: brand.gif (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
brand.gif
8 KB, 200x200
what do you guys think of BSD? if you're a user why do you prefer it over other OSes
>>
>>53532860
bsd is for servers
>>
>>53532860
>>53532916
Yep, I use freebsd for stuff that I need to be stable, and openbsd for stuff that I need to be secure.
>>
>>53532860
OpenBSD as it is the most Unix like OS and I prefer its code correctness philosophy.
>>
>>53532860
I run OpenBSD on my laptop, it's great. Tried install ing OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD on my PowerMac G5 server but none of them have compiled the rd kernel for multiprocessor support and I was hours into trying to figure it out already so I just reinstalled Mac OS X Server 10.5.8. I was rebooting the thing so much to figure out what was up that I configured it to boot to Open Firmware, still have to change that back. One of these day's I'll get around to compiling a kernel.
>>
File: 1411729602931.jpg (145 KB, 1136x1148) Image search: [Google]
1411729602931.jpg
145 KB, 1136x1148
>>53532860
Years ago I installed FreeBSD on an old Athlon rig thinking it was a Linux distro.
On first boot it showed a command prompt and I didn't know any commands, which confused me.
Never used that PC again.

(not even lying)
>>
any advantages/disadvantages it has over GNU/linux distros?
>>
>>53532979
Native zfs.
>>
>>53532979
It's more of a preference than one being better than the other, both *BSD systems and Linux systems are great. I'd definitely suggest giving one a shot though
>>
>>53532860
Using FreeBSD as main OS, it's noice
>>
>>53532979
OpenBSD is the most secure OS that exists. Also ZFS is god-tier
>>
>>53532916

>what is pc-bsd?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.