[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So external gpus will be a thing relatively soon Pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: razer-core-5.png (484 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
razer-core-5.png
484 KB, 1500x1000
So external gpus will be a thing relatively soon
Pic related is just an example, probably will be a higher end of prices since it's Memezer
Personally I think using them as a docking station for a laptop with just built in graphics and a nice processor/everything else is the GOAT setup of the future
What do you think /g/
Cool or meme?
>>
This forwards Windows because these gpu are for Windows games, cannot support it
>>
>>53532057
Kneel before Zod!
>>
Fuckin expensive is the problem. Can't safely OC with a laptop either. If you're talking future, then sure cpu's could theoretically evolve to where OC isn't needed. But desktops will remain better for serious gaming. It won't make sense until it's cheap.
>>
>>53532114
What exactly is "serious gaming"?

I was under the impression that high end graphics cards and a modest cpu are more than able to maintain acceptable framefrates on almost all games even at 4k.
>>
I'd be pretty happy if I could dock my laptop with a GPU and not have to buy two machines
>>
File: Fullbleed.jpg (188 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Fullbleed.jpg
188 KB, 1200x800
>>53532114
>fuckin expensive
hasn't only one's price been revealed so far? and it's fucking razer
i expect normal brands to be more reasonable
waiting for one that would work with this, it already supports usb c docks, i think with TB3
>>
>>53532057
do you mean adapters and bottlenecks
>>
File: Screenshot.png (338 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
338 KB, 1920x1080
>>53532114
>Can't safely OC with a laptop
This is false.

GTX 860M (Kepler)
>>
File: 1426655599554.jpg (60 KB, 562x517) Image search: [Google]
1426655599554.jpg
60 KB, 562x517
Very interesting, I have to see the prices. Desktops are becoming a meme anyways, if VR wasn't a thing, I would get rid of this piece of shit in a heartbeat. Will be keeping a close eye on this OP.
>>
>>53532114
Where does "serious" actually begin though? Would it seriously be impossible to run a game off of a 2018 mobile laptop processor? I think most likely not, especially if they ever start bumping up the base core count to 4.

External GPU docks do open up a possibility of only needing one machine, and using the external GPU when you're at home for "serious gaming". You're right though, typical laptop CPUs can't handle that task perfectly right now but it could make a lost of sense for some people who don't wan't to spend money on an entire rig and already have a laptop.
>>
>>53532251
Razer announced their price today, $500 standalone or $400 with their laptop, comes out in April
Seems way over to me, $200-250 would be much closer to reasonable
>>
Been using the alienware proprietary egpu for a year now. Its neat having a 980 ti with my laptop. Kinda annoyed it didnt have a thin and long cable like these new tb3 egpus.
>>
>>53532186
>I expect other brands to be reasonable

Check out the guy who's never seen the price of an Ultrabook before. Oh yeah, you people exist, you're the same one who thinks Mac laptops are overpriced.
>>
>>53532184
This. It will be expensive, but then you can get a premium laptop and a decent desktop for a lot less than the cost of both. With the added benefit of only managing one system.
>>
>>53532148
>>53532270
"serious" gaming will always be the highest end. I don't think that mobile or low-power will ever meet high end because the high end is always getting higher.
>>
>>53532285
But this isn't about the laptop, I get that those are a high price for a reason
The eGPU enclosure is just that, an enclosure with a power supply. You still have to provide the card yourself.
>>
>>53532271

I was worried this would happen. I really like the idea of an eGPU setup but bullshit prices like this ruin it.
>>
>>53532293
There are laptops now with SLI GTX 980s in them. not 980ms, fucking desktop class 980s. Your needs have been met.
>>
>Relatively soon
I doubt it. It will be rather niche and remain high end, even for laptop costs.

Chassis, fans, PSU, the fact you have to be in desktop mode to use it.
>>
>>53532271
>first one to market in a new vertical
>not being expensive as fuck
>>
>>53532057

Why the fuck does this thing cost $500?

It's just an enclosure + PSU.

Try $200.
>>
>>53532271
Not even close to being worth it. I'll wait for ASUS to make a ripoff.
>>
>>53532320
R&D are factors in costs, not just raw materials and assembly, moron.

That said, fuck razer.
>>
>>53532057
not even sure why AMD are trying to make external gpus a thing, they should be putting more focus into making apus basically the go-to bar titan/fury level enthusiast.
>>
>>53532057
Wait for cheaper Chinese clones to flood the market.
Pcie 3.0 x4 will be plenty bandwidth for single gpu gaming.
>>
Wait for the eventual ones to come out from asus and other third parties. Hell even the alienware one came out at $300, was $200 after coupon within a week, and was regularly available for $100 - $150 from amazon brand new.
>>
>>53532328
good news anon
revealed at the same convention as the razer
>>
>>53532186
anyone have thoughts on the newest xps 13/15? looks sexy, replaceable/upgradable parts to an extent
>>
>>53532341

This x 1000

There is no universe where people are seriously going to pay more for the enclosure than the GPU it will contain.

Save us, China.
>>
File: 1439968732346.gif (928 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1439968732346.gif
928 KB, 480x360
>>53532362
>two usb type c
I was almost in love
>>
>>53532293
Well obviously. Merely by design a desktop will always have more potential for performance than a laptop. That doesn't mean laptops can't get close enough to be "serious".

It's like saying muscle cars aren't for serious driving because they can never have a jet engine in them.
>>
>>53532311
those laptops are monstrous and power hungry though. Some require external coolers for hard use. You'll always be able to get more power out of something large with more cooling
>>
>>53532057
>$500

Welp. It was a nice dream. I hope China can save us.
>>
>>53532320
It's $200 for Intel licensing fees for the connector and $100 R&D
>>
File: _EXPCARD.gif (95 KB, 430x281) Image search: [Google]
_EXPCARD.gif
95 KB, 430x281
ExpressCard 3.0 when?
>>
>>53532331
>R&D of a case and a method of connecting to a PC
PSUs, PCIe extenders/risers, USB type C / 3 and the GPUs already exist.

All they had to do was make an enclosure and the PCIE to USB interface. This doesn't cost $400.
>>
>>53532057
I fuckin hate that "meme" now has no real definition and is just thrown around by newfags trying to fit in
>>
>>53532606
....Why did you type the definition like a faggot? Is that some kind of meme?

Also, no, it doesn't fit at all. Razer makes products for the average gamer. /g/ doesn't like it because they don't meet a tech literate person's standards, IE they're smart enough to know they're being ripped off. This doesn't make Razer a meme, this makes them shitty. I hate to be such a Fuckstick about linguistics, but Fuck, I hate "meme" as a stand-in word.
>>
>>53532606
I copy and pasted from phone. Didn't proofread it. Going to delete post.
>>
>>53532057
I agree it's the goat setup. I might be biased because I travel and take my laptop with me everywhere and only game at home.

That said the price is ridiculous. Good thing there are plenty of competing products coming to market.
>>
File: 53847.jpg (109 KB, 1000x508) Image search: [Google]
53847.jpg
109 KB, 1000x508
>>53532057
>So external gpus will be a thing relatively soon

They have been for years, anon. It's just that they weren't plug and play enough for retards from /v/ like yourself.
>>
>>53533094
How about "a convenient external GPU with some more docking station-like functions"
>>
>>53533094
That's an external gpu in the same sense that a cardboard fucking shanty is a disposable house.
>>
>>53533094

Yeah if you had an expresscard port and wanted to fiddle around with boot order and still have some derpy issues. Sure. It's existed before now.

>you can use mpcie
And have some janky ass cable hanging out of the laptop body from where you had to remove the WiFi card. Bliss
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.