[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Microsoft windows >Full screen game becomes unresponsive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: laughing bill gates.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
laughing bill gates.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>Microsoft windows
>Full screen game becomes unresponsive or losing focus, hitting alt tab or ctrl alt delete will allow me to escape and get back to the desktop
>Lunix
>die roll decides if alt tab actually works or not, have to switch to a tty and manually end the program before switching back to my X session

Well, lincucks?
>>
>>53531836
true this senpai
>>
>>53531836
> My game crashes
> Windows - I know how to force quit the process
> Linux - I don't know how to force quit the process
> Linux sucks

Your ignorance is telling. I weep for the future.
>>
File: a.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
a.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
(you)
>>
>>53532019
Op would rather not force quit his game every time is the point he's making. Are you that retarded?
>>
Issues that never happen to no one, the thread
>>
>>53532019
You still learning to read?
>>
>>53532037
>life is strange

Is this game any good? I've never heard of it before people started posting webbums of the title screen on here.
>>
It's natural, OP, what could you expect from software that was not made by professionals to ne used by a customer, ie commercial-grade software?

You get the quality you paid for.

There really is no great OS, they all have flaws, but at least commercial ones are mostly stable and have enough features for most use cases.

With free software, you're at the mercy of strangers who have no obligations to you.

But it's still good that free software exists, just in case shit hits the fan and we all need to use an OS and nobody is making one anymore. Depending on how hard that shit hits the fan and assuming we'd still have electricity and internet.
>>
>Microsoft windows
>Full screen game becomes unresponsive or losing focus, die roll decides if hitting alt tab or ctrl alt delete will allow me to escape and get back to the desktop, another die roll decides if I can force quit the process
>GNU/Linux
>alt tab actually works, if for some ungodly reason it doesn't I can switch to a tty and force quit the process, it always force quits

Why can't Windows into something as basic as killing a process? If something crashes everything will be fucked until you hard reset
>>53532343
It's not even a game, it's a VN sold as a game
It's pretty meme tier made for tumblr, but you might enjoy it
>>
>>53532343
i think it's pretty good, i hadn't heard of it before someone asked how to run it in wine a couple weeks ago or so
it's like a cross between a choose-your-own-story book and a point-and-click adventure, it's all about the story
these type of games only appeal to certain types of people, don't expect any real time action
>>
>>53532366
>it's a VN sold as a game

How interactive is it? Point and click adventure style or do you literally just watch animations?
>>
File: deponia.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
deponia.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1080
>>53532381
Well I love point and click adventures. The genre never died in Germany and we have active developers over here.

Playing pic related right now.
>>
>>53532343
Just like every popufur indie "game" you don't really "play" it so you won't really be having much "fun"

If the entire contents of what can happen can be uploaded to a few videos because there's no choice and it's indiscernible from actually "playing" it yourself you know something's fucking badly wrong
>>
>>53532412
>Well I love point and click adventures.
then you at least won't be put off by the type of game it is

>>53532422
this guy, on the other hand...
>>
>>53532422
Kek reminds me of those old horrible "interactive movie" "games" from when CDs were still new.
>>
>>53532412
German here, I literally spent the last night (that I should have spent sleeping) re-playing The Crystal Key, Amerzone and Traitor's Gate.

Point-and-click puzzle games along with first-person adventure puzzlers are truly the best game genres.
>>
>>53532422
>>53532465
think of them as more of a tv show/movie with additional control rather than an action game with less control
do you watch tv shows/movies? read books? or you just don't like stories at all?
>>
>>53532471
Goddammit anon now I have 3 more games on my backlog.
>>
>>53532422
it's not an indie game, it was published by square enix
it is a rather new developer though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dontnod_Entertainment
>>
>>53532457
Well you caught me but I really really really did give point and clicks a chance for many years. Every single time it can't make up its mind between cartoon logic and real life logic, red herrings every fucking 10 seconds, bullshit requirements where you have to save the joke item to beat the final "boss". Tried almost all the sierra games, hated them, gabriel knight is fucking retarded. Also tried three different sam and maxes, did not like. Also tried a bunch of king's quests hated those too. Only point and clicks I've ever liked are ones from Humongous only because they are piss easy and the manhole, which is exploration only but again got old within 5 minutes. Humongous would have different sections of the game that it would randomly choose to have for you to make each playthrough at least kind of different, they can't be the only ones that do this? Also they would have little minigames inside the world itself so you aren't just clicking an item on another place to "solve" something

I really do not understand the point of a point and click post-youtube since you can get the same thing from watching a video. Most of these new point and clicks are 3D world rendered yet you're stuck on rails and can't go anywhere and there are no minigames or anything besides inventory management so it might as well have been a bunch of pictures in the first place.
>>
>>53532549
There's only one good Sam and Max, which is the original one.

Basically all Lucasarts/Film point and click adventures are god tier.

Nowadays Daedalic Entertainment is the best developer by far.
>>
>>53532343
>>53532381
The thing about Life is Strange that I found most unsettling is how autistic _all_ of the characters seem to be at first.

As I played it some more, I realized that it was probably intentionally done this way, and that the idea was that the dialogue is just an abstract representation of the implicit subtext actually being conveyed by the characters.

In a sense, it's a very minimalist approach to dialogue writing.

That, or the people writing the dialogue just have no fucking clue how real people talk.

I'm undecided.
>>
>>53532549
they're just not for you, anon, and that's ok

a couple people i know are right into games i'll never be interested in, either (grand strategy/political stuff)
>>
>>53532582
i just assume that's how teens are now, the game is set in a 2013 high school
>>
>>53532596
No, it really isn't. The dialogue is so far up the uncanny valley that it's almost like watching chat bots interact.
>>
>>53532617
i wouldn't know, seems alright to me
>>
>>53532576
You are just like my friend who keeps trying this with me over the years he is the reason why most of those were on the list and again hated all of it. Only one I haven't tried is day of the tentacle which he insists is a saving grace, again not too enthusiastic and would only bother a decade in the future when I've forgotten all this.

>>53532584
I played brood war and wolf et for 10 years so even when I can figure out a point and click's retarded roller coaster between cartoon and real life logic it all seems like a non-game, again the whole thing can be uploaded to youtube, do not get it.

Love back to the future and was excited for telltale years ago thinking they would be different, again red herrings every 15 seconds, could barely even make it through the first puzzle. It's that shit where you're trying to get Biff to drop a notebook or something. I fucking swear they took sooo much time to animate him PUTTING IT DOWN with every choice, and I'm like, oh I did it! But no he stlil "has it" and you have to do that shit where you blow him away with the stereo like in the movie. Well fine, but don't fucking animate him putting it down, cause I spent forever thinking I had solved it and tried to take it but you can't.

I'll just leave the thread now
>>
>>53532650
it seems you conciously want to like these types of games but you subconciously hate the very idea of them
trust your instincts, anon, just shoot some more nazi's
>>
>>53532650
Well Telltale is a horrible developer..

They've ruined both Monkey Island and Sam and Max for me.
>>
File: 1385314639297.png (24 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1385314639297.png
24 KB, 500x500
>>53532678
>not fighting on the german side

m8
>>
>>53532698
oh yea, et is a multiplayer game
didn't get around to playing that one
>>
>>53532712
It's breddy gud. Nothing beats mowing down filthy Americans from a machine gun bunker in a D-Day scenario.
Don't know how alive the servers are these days, though.

Also too bad that ET Quake Wars never really took off. That game had tons of potential.
>>
Linux was never meant for modern gaming, and anything that is gaymer friendly is unfriendly to the fairly small amount of people who do actual work on linux and massive shit because it's still made by nerds who think the normie and the nerd are compatible

>Old linux
X11 is a multitasking graphics system based on a server/client model that allows you to have just one window of a program running on a remote system - or an entire desktop - your choice. The window managing UI is just another X program, so you can choose your interface. Games commonly played by users: Xtrek, rogue.
>new linux
Wayland is a graphics-first compositor protocol designed from the ground up to make 3d desktop effects and modern video games as tearing-free as possible. Basically what windows has but with less mature RDP and massive fragmentation from there being a million compositors that implement different features and paradigms. And since modern linux desktop applications keep everything client side, even the window decor, even your desktop experience is more fragmented. But, compositing-first worked for MS and apple with their centralized ecosystems.... maybe if DEs become less compatible with each other, users can get that centralized experience? Good idea, welcome to the gnome project.
Games commonly played by users: WHAT USERS? :^)
>>
>>53532743
i think i assumed it was just another single player wolfenstein, and only heard about how awesome it was after the fact
>>
File: 1451195212056.jpg (1 MB, 1688x2535) Image search: [Google]
1451195212056.jpg
1 MB, 1688x2535
>>53532765
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53532768
Yeah it's great. Think Team Fortress without the shitty comic graphics in World War 2.

Would be cool if they made a sequel with better graphics so the normies would come back as cannon fodder.
>>
File: FatlusMorrowind.png~original.png (617 KB, 641x800) Image search: [Google]
FatlusMorrowind.png~original.png
617 KB, 641x800
>>53532712
>>53532678
Excuse me sir, but this is 4chan, and I can't leave the thread without insulting you. I am hereby comparing you to fatlus. anyway have fun of what little there is to be had jk got you again
>>
>>/v/
>>
>>53531836
tty is linux alt tab you tard

it' s more reliable too
>>
>>53532366
>Why can't Windows into something as basic as killing a process?
they don't want you to kill some processes, such as cortananaWebCamRecorder.exe
>>
I dunno, I just already go to process in Windows and kill that. Works all the time.
>>
>>53532366
Huh? You just open task manager and hit end process. How long do you have to be living under a rock to not know about ctrl+alt+del
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.