[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say you think you are being spied by someone. I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 1458153319240.jpg (63 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1458153319240.jpg
63 KB, 500x667
Let's say you think you are being spied by someone. I can't change my IP because my silly ISP had the great idea to give me a static one.

So here I am, paranoid as fuck. I'm currently using Windows 7 and Comodo Firewall, no intrusions yet but uh... I think the person who was spying on me might have realized something was wrong and actually went offline. So if you were in my place what's the first thing you'd check? Besides installing Gentoo, which I will probably do, but for now I want to know if my paranoid attack is justified or I'm just being retarded.

My computer is pretty much secure. I use Noscript, Adblock, sandboxie to browse certain stuff. Spybot, CCleaner and MSE along with common sense.

Should I still be worried? I have my reasons to think this person was actually watching my screen somehow. I checked the traffic using Wireshark but of course I'm not going to find anything weird if the guy disconnected as soon as he saw me downloading it and installing a firewall.

Pls halp
>>
>>53529692
Run a packet sniffer on your router. Alternatively, nuke your drive and reinstall Windows or install Linux.
>>
File: 1456065835657.jpg (109 KB, 588x647) Image search: [Google]
1456065835657.jpg
109 KB, 588x647
>>53529692
>Comodo
>>
Take your pills op
>>
Why do you think someone is spying on you?
>>
>>53529692
>Can't change IP address
Yes you can, just use a proxy or VPN

>My computer is secure
You are running Windows, so no, it's not.
>>
>>53529717
B-but if he's not doing anything right now I'm not going to see anything, right?

>>53529721
I have good references of their firewall. Is it bad?

>>53529723
I know it sounds crazy but really, there was no way what happened could have been a coincidence. I wish you could trust me on this one.
>>
>>53529692
> paranoid as fuck. I'm currently using Windows 7 and Comodo Firewall
Stopped reading there. My fault for visiting this inane nip troll cave at 32 I guess
>>
>>53529739
Imagine this. You open MSPaint and you randomly draw a gigantic red penis. And then someone casually messages something among the lines of "i hate gigantic red penis".

I'm losing it. It's so weird. It doesn't make any sense.

And no, I was not drawing any penises, it's just an example but it's pretty much similar to what actually happened.
>>
>>53529757
>I know it sounds crazy
Nah, it just sounds like a RAT. They're common on Windows.
>>
>>53529785
>>53529757

Why don't you just reformat? Of course there are some malware that will survive reformatting, but this is typically nation state level stuff, so a simple format will do the trick for your problem.

Of you are using a laptop, you should put tape over the camera when it's not in use.

Look into GlassWire, it's a neat program that shows you bandwidth usage per program and whatnot.
>>
>>53529909
I'm not interested in that part of the solution, mate. I just want to know if this is in fact real and how it happened. I won't hesitate to format, that's for sure, but I really want to know if this is a horrible coincidence or not. If I format now I will literally never know.

Not only I will never know if it was true, but also won't know how much info from me could be compromised.
>>
>>53529692
what evidence do you have to suggest that you might be under surveillance?

> I think the person who was spying on me might have realized something was wrong and actually went offline.
What makes you think this?

> I have my reasons to think this person was actually watching my screen somehow.
such as?

>I wish you could trust me on this one.
Just tell us. What are we gonna do, call the police? If you don't want to implicate yourself, just be vague.
>the government because tax evasion
>my ex wife because I cheated on her
>the boss because I stole his money

I can't help you if you don't tell me who/what might be trying to snoop on you, and why.
>>
>>53530102
what evidence do you have to suggest that you might be not under surveillance? Because you, we have plenty of evidence that everyone is under surveillance so far - at least in the interwebs
>>
File: 1456352279863.jpg (216 KB, 1335x2000) Image search: [Google]
1456352279863.jpg
216 KB, 1335x2000
>>53529785
This happens to me all the time. My favorite is when I'm typing out a long 4chan response post, take forever finding a suitable pic and another anon hops in first to say the exact thing I intended.

I have just made peace with the fact the fbi is in my binaries and has nothing better to do.

This has been going on for 5+ years btw.
>>
>>53530173
I'm not the one claiming people are specifically spying on my screen.

Either give me something to go on, or take your medication.
>>
>>53529749
>You are running Windows, so no, it's not.
*tips Fedora*
>>
>>53530173
Holy shit, if the nsa actually wanted to you wouldn't be able to find them you fucking idiot.

Good thing the nsa doesn't give a shit about you
>>
>>53529692
>Uses Windows 7 and Comodo Firewall
>Concerned about privacy
You need to get your basics straight, OP
>>
>>53530192

tfw luggage lad
>>
if you think someone is spying on your screen, here's what you do:

Reformat windows. Do not backup any executables. Wipe all your disks and start from fresh. If you can, use a linux distro, as they're generally not as easy to get shit onto.

Changing your IP won't do shit, because the spyware will just phone home with the new one.

Also, to question your red-penis metaphor, if somebody was going to go to the trouble of spying on your screen, and even disabling their spyshit as soon as they see you downloading wireshark, chances are that they aren't going to give themselves away by fucking messaging you with evidence that they were watching you.
>>
>>53530226
>Holy shit if the nsa actually wanted
The NSA wants.
>doesn't give a shit about you
This is not preventing them to collect literally everything, including everything I could have typed, browsed, liked, downloaded, and so on

>>53530205
>take your medication
Nice try, NSA
>>
>>53530029

Look up Remote Access Trojans. There are a lot of laptops infected throughout the world, hence people can spy and watch webcams (this is also possible by finding insecure IP cameras, but that's another story), but this is typically done by strangers and in stealth.

Your case is different and involves a friend. Have you installed any exes that were sent to you by this friend? Have you ever used any remote desktop programs with this friend, like teamviewer, vnc, splashtop, etc? Does your friend have physical access to your computer, if yes, have they ever been on your computer without supervision?

If your answer is no to the above, then it's unlikely you're being spied on.

There is a 4th possibility, such as your friend getting you to click a link and then you falling victim to a drive by download, but you said you use noscript, so again, highlly unlikely.

If you still arent satisfied, then try to bait your friend into saying thongs that are on your screen. Eg: guess what I am looking at right now? (Then have something atypical open that they wouldn't be able to guess, such as rhinos fucking.)
>>
>>53530301
>This is not preventing them to collect literally everything, including everything I could have typed, browsed, liked, downloaded, and so on

They are doing that. Everybody already knows this.

What the NSA is NOT doing, however, is sending you fucking messages with the information they collect, because they literally have no reason to, at all. Why would a multibillion dollar government program, with the information reach of God, give a fuck to play an epic prank on you?

There's no conspiracy against you. And if there was, they wouldn't be giving themselves away like that.

Tell us, what were you looking at that your friend messaged you about? It could just be a coincidence
>>
>>53530339
>What the NSA is NOT doing, however, is sending you fucking messages with the information they collect
Oh gawd! How relieving! They aren't spamming the shit out of me, so I can as well assuming I'm not spied!
>There's no conspiracy against you
Ah! Now I feel better!
>what were you looking at that your friend
I am not OP and I didn't even read OP
>>
>guy was using tor looking at pic related
>buddy randomly tells guy, how much he loves pic related
>buddy is still wondering why guy hasn't invited him to get some pizza
>buddy is now contemplating suicide
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-16-23-43-03.png (330 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-16-23-43-03.png
330 KB, 1080x1920
>>53529717

Off topic but does anyone know a good packet sniffer for Android? My phone is not rooted.

Pic related
>>
>>53530261
He's not using an anti virus. What more do you need?
>>
Get a carbon monoxide detector
>>
File: 1448427557349.jpg (43 KB, 651x733) Image search: [Google]
1448427557349.jpg
43 KB, 651x733
>>53529785
I would like another example please. You sound paranoid as shit.
>>53530192
You too, buddy.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.