[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
About to build my first computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: Computer.jpg (48 KB, 1048x625) Image search: [Google]
Computer.jpg
48 KB, 1048x625
Hey /g/, about to build my first rig!

What do you think of this setup... http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/8zhjP6

Also a couple questions:
1. Would it matter if the case has front USb/audio ports but the mobo doesn't support it? (IE would the mobo fit in the case?)

2. Would it be ideal to take a mobo with intergrated graphics AND a dedicated GPU or should I just pay alightly more for the GPU instead of getting integrated?
>>
>>53528879
also if anyone can find any issues w/ it that'd be decent!
>>
>>53528879
Where to start
Should of had a Pentium g3258 or an x4 860k
No ssd required
Should've gotten a 750 over a 740
>disk drive
>buying windows

Upgrade to an 8150 and a 950 immediately OP
>>
>>53529156
for a budget build?

And the SSD is jus for the boot speed and maybe a couple games.

And you can just pirate windows right
>>
>>53529175
Absolutely
if you are buying a budget build buy used
i bought an i5 3570 and a gtx 680 for 235 used on craigslist, and yes, pirate windows, microsoft will be fine without your 60$
>>
>>53529192
Alright thanks! But why get those processors if they're a fair bit less powerful but not that much cheaper?
>>
>>53529257
Gaming is significantly more gpu intensive than CPU intensive in most cases.
>>
>>53529257

Before you order >>53530211 this is true but most newer games will run a lot better on a quad core. GTA and a few other newer titles are downright unplayable on the G3258.

If you want to stick around I'll build you a PC that'll fit your budget and your needs.
>>
>>53530211
Ah right!

So (with performance in mind) would i want a gpu with more clock speed or ram? EG is 2gbs, 1.22Ghz be better than 4gb, 800mhz?

I'm just thinking about cost effectiveness:)
>>
>>53530327

Sweet! Yeah man, sure! I'm going for £300-£500 really ($430-$700usd)
>>
>>53530370

Was there a particular reason you chose AMD over intel and Nvidia over an AMD GPU?
>>
>>53528879
>1x8gb

why the fuck
>>
>>53530327
Also, I'm looking mainly for performance. 30fps+ on medium on a AAA title, like FO4 or w/e would be decent. But a little extra couldn't hurt as long as it isn't *too* much. :p

>>53530387
I was just looking at price + specs really. I'm not advanced with this kind of stuff but I know the basics :)
>>
>>53528879
>1. Would it matter if the case has front USb/audio ports but the mobo doesn't support it? (IE would the mobo fit in the case?)
It would not matter; the front audio and front usb ports of the case plug into a socket on the motherboard, which you can simply not plug in if your motherboard does not support it. But I have never seen a motherboard made after 2003 that does not support these ports, so it doesn't really matter.

>2. Would it be ideal to take a mobo with intergrated graphics AND a dedicated GPU or should I just pay alightly more for the GPU instead of getting integrated?
The integrated graphics on the motherboard is basically worthless if you buy a dedicated GPU, but they are basically free anyway, so it doesn't really matter. They are useful to have for troubleshooting purposes, so keeping it around is practical, even on a budget build. That said, the chances of being able to save money by getting rid of it are small, so it matters little.

>also if anyone can find any issues w/ it that'd be decent!
The memory MUST consist of two sticks of RAM. So replace that 8GB stick by a pair of two 4GB sticks. If you don't, it will cause a major slowdown.

Overall, the build looks fine, and the tradeoff between CPU and GPU as you have it looks quite sensible. Spending more on the GPU at the cost of the CPU is probably not an improvement.
>>
>>53530412
maybe a bit more than 30fps so I won't have to upgrade for a while.
>>
>>53530435
Thanks for answering the questions :)

>the tradeoff between CPU and GPU as you have it looks quite sensible

Something I'm not 100% on... Does the CPU actually help alongside the GPU? IE If the CPU has 6Ghz and the GPU has 500mhz, would the CPU help speed up the GPU?
>>
>>53530438
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/7F98WZ

this will play most games at 60fps 1080p
>>
>>53530548
Hey, thanks man... Quick question... Are you using the default US url and then add .uk to the start of the url?
>>
>>53530627
You're getting trolled. Notice how that build is only 400 pounds because the GPU and motherboard don't have a price listed (because they are no longer sold).
>>
>>53530677

actually I wasn't trolling, I was just to dumb to realize they aren't being sold overseas. Just look at the US version and you'll see.

>>53530627

Nope
>>
>>53530677
Yeah, that's why I asked if he was using the default url. All that stuff comes to just under $700 and is sold in the US.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7F98WZ here's what I think is his link

Either way, the US prices are a lot cheaper... I might just look into shipping from US.

>>53530548
Also, any reason you went with the i5-6500 over the AMD FX? (guess from your other question it's cheaper that way in the US)
>>
>>53530713
Oh, I see! Well, in any case, you're more than a bit over budget, I would imagine. (Also it doesn't include either the windows license or the wireless dongle.)
>>
>>53530734
>Also, any reason you went with the i5-6500 over the AMD FX?
It's better in every way than the FX. Which is why it is two and a half times more expensive than your choice.
>>
>>53530791
I'm looking up the specs... What ways specifically? I'm only noticing a 2mb cache difference

Also, appriciate the help :)
>>
>>53530840
>>53530774

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/tjDzbv

Sorry about that, I was doing some side work and didn't look very closely. Anyway take a look at this one. You're going up about $60 but you're also taking a significant leap in performance.

>>53530840

As for the reasoning behind the i5, it's intel's newest architecture meaning it's a more efficient chip.
>>
>>53530916
Cheers bud!

Now I can understand a higher price generally means higher performance, but is there any way to know for certain Intel isn't just saying this so they can price it higher?

I'm guessing the SSD from Crucial is faster than the Sandisk one with this in mind also :p...

Any reason for the 600W PSU? Seems like it only uses 304 Watts... Could I not get the 430W (EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply) for half the price?
>>
>>53531068
>Now I can understand a higher price generally means higher performance, but is there any way to know for certain Intel isn't just saying this so they can price it higher?

Benchmarks. More effieciency means Faster Processing speeds and less power consumption

>I'm guessing the SSD from Crucial is faster than the Sandisk one with this in mind also :p...

It is, and it's also more reliable.
>Any reason for the 600W PSU? Seems like it only uses 304 Watts... Could I not get the 430W (EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply) for half the price?

You could but it also gives you room to upgrade components and overclock your current ones.

430w is cutting it close IMO. 500w would probably be a sweet spot if you wanted to cut down on the price.

Oh and 6300 gives better performance than the 4300 and has 6 cores as opposed to 4.
>>
>>53531178
I see the 6300 has one extra physical core, is that also better than the 2 logical cores it'd be trading off?

Yeah, I can get it to £500 for the 500Q PSU, might think about getting Win95 and cardboard cutout case as well for better cost effectiveness ^^
>>
>>53531178
Also, thanks again man! Really appreciate this. Was probably researching all bits and bobs for about an hour or two before I thought of coming here!
>>
>>53531317
>I see the 6300 has one extra physical core, is that also better than the 2 logical cores it'd be trading off?

Yes, Google is your friend lol. Look up multithreading.

Do make sure you do extensive research before you buy. If I had taken a week longer to buy my current PC I would've spent less money on the case and more on the components.
>>
>>53531448
>>
>>53530435
>The memory MUST consist of two sticks of RAM. So replace that 8GB stick by a pair of two 4GB sticks. If you don't, it will cause a major slowdown.

i have 1 8gb stick in mine. really doesn't seem slow. why do you say that?
>>
>>53530541
>Something I'm not 100% on... Does the CPU actually help alongside the GPU? IE If the CPU has 6Ghz and the GPU has 500mhz, would the CPU help speed up the GPU?
They do compliment each other, but not in that way. Games will not offload processing power for the most part to one or the other.

It differs from game to game, but in general, some part of the game requires the CPU to do work, and another part of the game requires the GPU to do work. If one is lacking, the performance overall will suffer.

E.G. If you had a GeForce Titan X 12GB but had the cheapest of the cheap CPUs, you're really not going to get much better game performance than you would if you had that same cheapo CPU and a GTX 950.

As for GPU specs, it's really not a comparison between CPU and GPU clockspeed.
>>
>>53531826
>i have 1 8gb stick in mine. really doesn't seem slow. why do you say that?
It's not exactly true. One stick in any dual/quad channel system will work, however you are unnecessarily limiting your performance (you are getting half the memory bandwidth). Having a single stick at a time is a useful tool in some troubleshooting situations, but in general, always install in pairs.
>>
>http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/tjDzbv

PSU is way over the top unless you want to upgrade to a high end gpu later.

Also remove dvd drive and Windows for fucks sake.
>>
>>53532068
my disc drive my life
>>
Rate my budget build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bJYW23
>>
>>53532598
just buy a USB disc drive. Tower disc drives are a waste of space and dead weight most of the time
>>
I want to upgrade my old amd cpu from 2009.

Whats a good motherboard and cpu combo that works with a sapphire r9 270x and 4x2 kingston hyper-x ram?
>>
>>53532598
There is only place for one of them in the 21th century.
>>
guys, what is better? nvidia geforce 980ti from ASUS of nvidia geforce 980ti from GIGABYTE?
>>
>>53534332
EVGA WAITFORFUCKINGPASCAL
>>
>>53532825
DDR2 or DD3 RAM?
>>
>>53532825
Budget?

You probably have DDR2 RAM, in which case you're kinda screwed, unless you don't mind getting those old 771 Xeons, which are pretty good. But that might not be much of an upgrade. What CPU do you have exactly?
>>
>>53528879
>AMD
>8gb memory
>128gb ssd
>gt740
>gaming on wifi
>budget cooler for no reason

go a pentium g3258 and hyper 212+ with a decent budget mobo and oc that shit
then get a gtx 960

drop the ssd, you don't need one, especially when the 250+ models are faster than 128 models

the psu is fine, but I would get 600w just in case you want to upgrade in the future
>>
>>53534951
>pentium g3258
Even overclocked it's way weaker than i3, which is slower than stock 6300 in modern games (and you can easy overclock 6300 too). It's silly to buy a dual core desktop, even on a budget.

Nothing wrong with 8gb RAM and 128gb SSD either. Who cares if 250+ models are faster, even a shit tier SSD is worlds above a HDD. Wifi is perfectly fine for normal gaming. 960 is a good choice though, if his budget allows it.
>>
>>53528879
>Windows 8.1 OEM
if you're going to pay money for windows, at least get a retail version so you can use it again when you change your mobo.

You can always just used metered connection to stop auto-updates and block whatever you need if you're that concerned about your privacy (I would think not because you're getting 8.1)
>>
>>53534579
>>53534749
the ram is ddr3

and maybe 200-300
>>
>>53536306
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FRL96h
>>
>>53536378
hmmm a xeon. I rarely hear anything about those.

how do they rate among other cpus for gaming.
>>
>>53536420
It's essentially an i7 without the integrated iGPU but with a much lower cost.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.